For the ploughmen

Discussion in 'Machinery Matters' started by oldsmokey, Aug 13, 2019.

1. oldsmokey

oldsmokey Well-Known Member

Hi, ive embarked on my first bit of ploughing, no guidance, so its all a bit haphazard, woul d appreciate a few answers...
    The plough is an old semi auto roind beam 3 sod kv, new points fitted, its pulling straight behind, ive left some slack on the stabilisers. Plough is 90 degrees to the land when its in work , tyre presure ok. Back sod was forever hopping /slipping out of work so toplink lengthed too far to compensate, but it works. Was running plough in depth d setting of tractor but it rose to 2inch deep in gravelly bits of field...same craic when in mixed setting. Finally put it in p position setting, seems better..stays at the chosen depth...should it not be in depht seting fir ploughing tho?
    And why is back sod slipping out of work?
    Ground is a bit stony not bad, odd gravelly bit
    Cheers

2. Username

Username Well-Known Member

All three bodies parallel? if you set a string across them, or sight them by eye. Could be a strain somewhere.

All springs set to the same adjustment?
    Rear landside, a long one, in good condition?

Any pics?

3. Bcl

Bcl Well-Known Member

It's your draft control settings I'd say, fiddle about with them til you find sweet spot

oldsmokey likes this.
  4. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

I've often found that on electronic controlled lifts position 1 is enough for draft control or if it's an older mechanical system that setting the draft lever to intermix or halfway between position control and draft control works best. There's an old 3 sod round beam KV Bomford plough here that I learned to plough with many moons ago and would still use now and then for a bit of enjoyment when things are slack and I've often but 100 kilos on the back to keep it in the ground in tough conditions.

oldsmokey likes this.
  5. oldsmokey

Great, few things to check anyways...will checking the springs by eye suffice?, must check landside and paralkel...thanks

6. oldsmokey

Interesting idea about weight, just a bit messy,...dont think i can fiddle about with settings, can put it in p, m or d only, no inbetweens.
    When it slips into suitabke ground, it does nice work, makes me look good

7. KTM Farmer

KTM Farmer Well-Known Member

Top link should be floating when ploughing. Neither pushing or pulling headstock till you lift at ends. Pull lower links only. I am no expert btw.

oldsmokey and Paw like this.
  8. Bot.exe

Bot.exe Well-Known Member

The lad that showed me to plough said he was thought that lesson by being made use a chain for a toplink. He knew what he was doing from what I could see anyway

KTM Farmer and oldsmokey like this.
  9. TAFKAT

TAFKAT Well-Known Member

Depends on your tractor. Modern tractors have draft sensing on the lift arms but older ones were through the top link. Also the floating toplink is the reserve of the reversible plough, I don't think I've ever seen a conventional plough with a slotted hole.

John kverneland, Bcl and diesel power like this.
  10. Bcl

Bcl Well-Known Member

If your tractor has top link sensing you need to have top link in the correct hole on the tractor end also, the top hole of the 3 on older masseys iirc, may be wrong on this though

Username and oldsmokey like this.
  11. MF30

MF30 Well-Known Member

If top link sensing the top link needs to be as close to parallel to the ground, ie, highest hole on tractor and lowest on plough. Tight fitting pins also necessary as small adjustments are made by the top link sensing.

oldsmokey and Bcl like this.
  12. oldsmokey

Tractors a 2011 zetor, plough foesnt have slot, holes onky for toplink, will drop toplink fitting to lowest on plough, great.
    So when are the position, draft and mixed settings used?. Ive looked it up on the handbook but its hopeless, be interesting to gigure it out

13. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

4f KV spring loaded conventional plough here with a slotted hole :Whistle2:

I'd try all of what the lads said above oldsmokey. Is your toplink parallel to the ploughing by the way?

I'd also try the M setting.

oldsmokey likes this.
  14. KTM Farmer

KTM Farmer Well-Known Member

Very true, surprising how soon one forgets when we move on. Did a bit long ago with top link sensing but cannot remember how it was set up.

15. TAFKAT

TAFKAT Well-Known Member

Probably a standard hole that has become elongated from bouncing across the field in high reverse. I've heard of it happening in places where they don't know how to open middles :scratchhead:

16. oldsmokey

Showing my ignorance..whatre middles?

17. Paw

Paw Well-Known Member

Yes, Dad had one of those, sure there was a slotted hole on it. Long time gone now. Sure he ploughed with the toplink in it (tractor with lower link sensing).

nashmach, TAFKAT and ithastopay like this.
  18. Paw

Paw Well-Known Member

Here you go
    [​IMG]

TAFKAT likes this.
  19. agrimax

agrimax Well-Known Member

I found that depth control in both a Zetor 4712 and a 7045 was too sensitive for the plough. Worked perfect on both in the mixed setting.
    3 f KV Bamford on the wee one and 4f square beam spring release on the 7045. The 4f plough had a slotted hole. The slotted hole is just for tractors with bottom link sensing...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:24 AM
    oldsmokey and Titan 8820 like this.
  20. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

If you've never seen a conventional plough with slotted hole you probably don't know much about middles either :tt2:

@oldsmokey

Putting up the middle explained.

oldsmokey, Paw and sparkey like this.
  21. oldsmokey

Well, thanks for that...mskes my efforts look shocking...yooutube can be a great tutor