Internet Phone

Skimmer

Okay lads, not into phones at all. My trusty Nokia 6320 is dead, and I need a replacement. I have a 6303i classic here that needs to be unlocked to use on my network (Vodafone). What I was wanting to know, is it worth it, even though it is brand new, at €25 for the unlocking?
I am on pay as you go, and what I really need is a phone with the internet so that I can access the vicon spreader charts:http://www.viconspreadingcharts.com/en-Metric/VICON/Machine/VICON-RS

Will a 6303i do that, or what would be a good choice of phone with a big screen and buttons. Has to be able to take a little bit of abuse, but I'm not too bad on em.
I would appreciate the advice, as I have to get a phone sorted tomorrow, and access to the spreader charts is essential.

I wouldn't pay that to unlock it, more like a fiver!

There will be plenty of decentish phones for less than £50

I just went through that site on the iPhone but there was no advantage when compared to a simPler phone.

Should also ensure that it works on an Android or whatever road you go down.

Can you not just printout the relevant charts from the PC?

Skinflint in me coming out. :laugh:

you on a bill pay skimmer.
voda gave me the htc for free on an upgrade.
nice phone to get for nothing.

Not on bill pay unfortunately, just top ups.
Does it have to be a smart phone to get the charts, or will an ordinary phone be able to access the site?

Maybe I would be better off on the bill pay. How does it stack up financially?
Sorry for the stupid questions, just never really into phones in a big way. Is the link on the vicon website an app, or what is it.

Should also ensure that it works on an Android or whatever road you go down.

Can you not just printout the relevant charts from the PC?

Skinflint in me coming out. :laugh:

Not so handy when I'm away from the computer, ie on the out farm. Also, there are far more charts available through the phone, so Murphy machinery tell me anyway.

Maybe I would be better off on the bill pay. How does it stack up financially?
Sorry for the stupid questions, just never really into phones in a big way. Is the link on the vicon website an app, or what is it.
how much do you pay per month on pay as you go?

€20-30 on average.
i see.
id be up on €120 a month, so there is a difference.

altho, i got the o/h off payg and ont bill pay, she says its a lot handier, iirc its about €50 a month, she got a samsung s2 on it for something like €100.
might be the way to go.

i see.
id be up on €120 a month, so there is a difference.

altho, i got the o/h off payg and ont bill pay, she says its a lot handier, iirc its about €50 a month, she got a samsung s2 on it for something like €100.
might be the way to go.

It could be a bit more than that, I'm after putting €40 into it in the last fortnight already. I'll call into the phone shop tomorrow and see.
I believe that android is a bit better than apple, according to my friends. What do ya think?

Not so handy when I'm away from the computer, ie on the out farm. Also, there are far more charts available through the phone, so Murphy machinery tell me anyway.

I know :thumbup1:

There is a link to the side rather than the full blown run through on the website that you can use.

I know that is the way for the wagtail anyway as I was looking at it last night :whistling:

It could be a bit more than that, I'm after putting €40 into it in the last fortnight already. I'll call into the phone shop tomorrow and see.
I believe that android is a bit better than apple, according to my friends. What do ya think?
id rather android, im not a big fan of the apple stuff, mostly because i dont have any of it other than an i pod, they like to keep their stuff to themselves and things struggle if you leave the club.
narrow minded in a way possibly.
if you have loads of apple stuff keep it that way, if ya dont android all the way.

only thing i dont so much like is the apps, no doubt its the same for apple, but quite a few apps ive looked at have serious permission overrides.
as in, some can take a pic, call, access msgs and call lists, on your phone, not so gone on that one.
but like i say, probably the same on i phone.

take for instance this cute little app.
https://market.android.com/details?...51bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS51cmJhbmRyb2lkLnNsZWVwIl0.
have a gander at the description, then click permissions on the bar above " descriptions", have a read at that.
no doubt some things are needed to operate the app, but the " read sensitive log data" bit is a bit off putting to say the least.
maybe im paranoid, who knows.

id rather android, im not a big fan of the apple stuff, mostly because i dont have any of it other than an i pod, they like to keep their stuff to themselves and things struggle if you leave the club.
narrow minded in a way possibly.
if you have loads of apple stuff keep it that way, if ya dont android all the way.

only thing i dont so much like is the apps, no doubt its the same for apple, but quite a few apps ive looked at have serious permission overrides.
as in, some can take a pic, call, access msgs and call lists, on your phone, not so gone on that one.
but like i say, probably the same on i phone.

take for instance this cute little app.
https://market.android.com/details?...51bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS51cmJhbmRyb2lkLnNsZWVwIl0.
have a gander at the description, then click permissions on the bar above " descriptions", have a read at that.
no doubt some things are needed to operate the app, but the " read sensitive log data" bit is a bit off putting to say the least.
maybe im paranoid, who knows.

Pretty scary when ya think about it alright. Still, that would be handy for me if it works, as I am not a morning person!!!!!!!

I don't have any apple products, as I never bought into them Won an Ipod nano and gave it to the sister. Just use a generic mp3 player myself, or a usb in the tractor.
Is there any particular android phone to avoid?

I've got a samsung galaxy s2, great phone all round, nicer screen than any other phone at the time (october 2011), good camera, good battery life, loads of good features.

I'm on €30/month bill pay with meteor. 200 mins & texts, free meteor calls and texts, 1gb internet which is plenty I find (and I'm a techie). The phone was €170 at the time.

I know what you mean about the permissions tinny, a lot of apps seem to be wanting to find out more information that they need really. Not sure what it's like on the iphone, maybe another member can comment.

I've got a samsung galaxy s2, great phone all round, nicer screen than any other phone at the time (october 2011), good camera, good battery life, loads of good features.

I'm on €30/month bill pay with meteor. 200 mins & texts, free meteor calls and texts, 1gb internet which is plenty I find (and I'm a techie). The phone was €170 at the time.

I know what you mean about the permissions tinny, a lot of apps seem to be wanting to find out more information that they need really. Not sure what it's like on the iphone, maybe another member can comment.

I've heard that the samsung and HTC are good phones. The brother went from HTC to IPhone and is extremely dissappointed with it.

Pretty scary when ya think about it alright. Still, that would be handy for me if it works, as I am not a morning person!!!!!!!

I don't have any apple products, as I never bought into them Won an Ipod nano and gave it to the sister. Just use a generic mp3 player myself, or a usb in the tractor.
Is there any particular android phone to avoid?
personally i cant hack the samsung at all, much prefer my htc, but then again i had that first so im kinda biast, but i find things awkward on the samsung, others here love them, but they havnt tried a htc yet tho.....:laugh:

one thing thats common to them all from what i see is that the batterys are shtie on them.
mine is wild sore on it, 1 day max, or 5-7 hours if your going well, or 1 hr if the camera happens to be accidentally on.:001_rolleyes:

personally i cant hack the samsung at all, much prefer my htc, but then again i had that first so im kinda biast, but i find things awkward on the samsung, others here love them, but they havnt tried a htc yet tho.....:laugh:

one thing thats common to them all from what i see is that the batterys are shtie on them.
mine is wild sore on it, 1 day max, or 5-7 hours if your going well, or 1 hr if the camera happens to be accidentally on.:001_rolleyes:

I have a tendency to charge em every night, and sure when I'm in the tractor I could keep it plugged in I suppose, If I remember that is:whistling:

I've heard that the samsung and HTC are good phones. The brother went from HTC to IPhone and is extremely dissappointed with it.

They would be my pick at the moment, the samsung I have was way more powerful than the equivalent htc at the time, a few things swung it for me. The interface is good enough I find, don't mind tinny :001_rolleyes:

They would be my pick at the moment, the samsung I have was way more powerful than the equivalent htc at the time, a few things swung it for me. The interface is good enough I find, don't mind tinny :001_rolleyes:
:lol:

I'd say I'll be fairly safe with either then so, depends on what they have I suppose. I need phone asap, so I may get on the case in the morning. Thanks for the advice lads:thumbup:

Best thing is to try them out, see what you prefer, there are more phones on the market now so try them all.

Back