Leyland tractors

Dad bought a leyland 384 new in oct 71 with the leyland cab. Gearbox gave some problem but was fixed under warrenty.
It was fast on the road but had a nasty vibration at certain revs. No heater or shelter around the back and i remember a nasty draught coming up through the slotted floor one freezing day.
We got a demo of a fiat 880 dt from John Neville in Carlow in Nov77 and thought we had landed in heaven. Heater, mat on floor, rear window.
The Leyland was sold and a new Fiat 880 arrived.

There is/was a Marshall 100 2wd, square bonnet on it , near a friend of @PETER. It was owned by a man had a lot of stuff working on the council , and was fitted with a hedgecutter. Would it be older or newer than that one above? I thought it was UK built ? but wouldn't know much about them .

There is/was a Marshall 100 2wd, square bonnet on it , near a friend of @PETER. It was owned by a man had a lot of stuff working on the council , and was fitted with a hedgecutter. Would it be older or newer than that one above? I thought it was UK built ? but wouldn't know much about them .
That would be the last of the true marshall's, it would be older than the 110 they were sold 89/90, the 100 was built in the uk.

I spent a while driving for a plant hire outfit in about 95/96, the man I was working for was big into ploughing competitions and he used to plough with a 262, he sold it about the time I started and bought an 804, it was a 84 tractor and was immaculate when he bought it. It was to be used for ploughing only and nothing else. They had 2 ford 8100s on Thomson dumptrailers, they were getting long in the tooth at that stage , one had a great engine but cab was rotten among other things while the other was tidy enough but the engine was well worn so the decision was made to make 1 good tractor from 2 and buy another tractor to replace the other one. While they were waiting to buy another tractor the 804 was put on the dump trailer and there it stayed while I was with them and I often saw it for years after still going strong. I drove it on plenty of occasions, I always thought it had great power for its size, was nice to drive and the turbo whistle was a joy to listen to with the straight pipe. I never remember it giving any trouble either, the only thing I found with it being so short it could be very bouncy at times. The reg was 84 SO 500, I saw it about 3 or 4 years ago outside a tractor garage in mayo, was a bit rougher than when I last saw it but seemed to have stood up well enough.

Those Marshall 100 series were quite rare with allegedly the following numbers built:

9 = 100 2wd
76 = 100 4wd
1 = 115 4wd
11 = 125 4wd
1 = 125 Perkins 4wd
1 = 145 4wd

It was thought at the time the new research, design and development cost so much it was the downfall of the Marshall company. This was a great shame as with a bit more time and money these tractors could have become front line machines with many quality features, and been up there with the best of the rest.

Last edited:
Thanks Nash, the real thing to complete my project! Pity, he couldn't be much farther away from me. Will give him a buzz to see what sort of dosh he's talking about. Looks in decent enough condition from the one picture he put up.
MF30

This man Knows 97% of what needs to be known about Leylands .
20160320_093643.jpg

20160320_093655.jpg

I wouldnt think so. :unsure:

id disagree, bonnet not short and somthing odd looking about the chassis, looks plated and alot of room from starter to steering pump
sheep tunnel 012.jpg

6/98ps fitted in 10spd 270, panels from 262 and 285 unfinished project for reference

Back