Reco Mengele sh40

AYF

The old Mengele spat a dummy today. Front bearing decided to pack in, after only being replaced last year. And the whole rig is getting fairly worn. Recon its a fair age by now to, anywhere up to 25yrs old! Previous owner did a serious acerage with her. So time for a fresher machine!

Has anything big changed on them in this time?
This ol girl has done well, very tough piece of kit. So no reason not to go sane again.?
Or am I as well to go Jf or even wagon?

The old Mengele spat a dummy today. Front bearing decided to pack in, after only being replaced last year. And the whole rig is getting fairly worn. Recon its a fair age by now to, anywhere up to 25yrs old! Previous owner did a serious acerage with her. So time for a fresher machine!

Has anything big changed on them in this time?
This ol girl has done well, very tough piece of kit. So no reason not to go sane again.?
Or am I as well to go Jf or even wagon?
If you can justify the price anyway it would be wagon all the way in my opinion. Less labour and tractors needed :Thumbp2:
Should take a few of the headaches away that are involved in silage :lol::lol:

If you can justify the price anyway it would be wagon all the way in my opinion. Less labour and tractors needed :Thumbp2:
Should take a few of the headaches away that are involved in silage :lol::lol:
Tbats the thing. Labour is not an issue. We share the silaging with my uncle. So he has tractors and drivers on here and vice versa. And we pull trailers so...
Budget is an issue. I recon 10k would be max. Am I going to get a cleaner harvester than I am wagon for that money?

If you've an SH40, you'll be disappointed with a 1050 - it won't be built anywhere near as strong or have the longevity of the SH40. Buy the same again and keep the old one for parts/ fix her up as a back up machine.

10k will get you a decent SH40- in terms of spec - is your old machine a 12 blade or 10 blade flywheel? there are no major changes between them other than the flywheel blade no's. Put a Hydraulic ram on the drawbar and you'll have a decent machine.

I have had JFs since 1985 , and have used a friends Mengele 40N . He previously had a very clean 1986 30N , and only reason for the upgrade was the built in hydraulic system on the 40.

If you are used to a Mengele , you are used to a heavy well built machine . A chain cover will be made from heavier sheet than the heaviest bit of a JF. You are used to keeping the blades in tight to the shear bar , blower paddles let out tight. Chokes in the narrow spout. The astronomical price of a set of blades and a shear bar. Great blow and good output , WHEN set up properly , and sicken you to look at if not.
Very simple build. Easy to do anything to , except to replace the front flywheel bearing , as you well know. I reckon you could keep a Mengele in good working order for a farmers use for ever. They haven't changed the design in 30 odd years , so it must have worked.

A JF will pick silage if half set up. To get the spout choked is a Rae enough occurrence. Parts not too dear ,but worse since Kongskilde got involved.. Made out of very light tin. Easy to drive. Good output .

A man near here bought a new 1060 last year. Pics in laoisfarmers pics last year. Picking 20 fts behind a 210 hp Deutz. He had a 1050 before that. A Pottinger mex6 before that. I thought that a great machine , but he would never go back to a flywheel. Reckons you would have a couple of acres picked with a JF , while unblocking a choke in the spout of a flywheel chopper.

Did you put back the cover to keep the grass out of the bearing when you replaced it ? Your own harvester could be in better order than a lot of S/Hs you will find.

If you've an SH40, you'll be disappointed with a 1050 - it won't be built anywhere near as strong or have the longevity of the SH40. Buy the same again and keep the old one for parts/ fix her up as a back up machine.

10k will get you a decent SH40- in terms of spec - is your old machine a 12 blade or 10 blade flywheel? there are no major changes between them other than the flywheel blade no's. Put a Hydraulic ram on the drawbar and you'll have a decent machine.
Ours is 10 blade. Have been told that they are the easiest driven and best output. Trouble is it seems a 10 blade is harder to find!? I do recon the one we have is at the right stage for spares tbh. Had new belly plates and blades etc in the last two or three years. But everything else is getting a bit shook up, could do with a new spout and so on. Pickup hitch is on its last too.

Sell yours to cowking.

Shop around for a nice 1050 - late in the season now. Dealers can be beaten down fairly handy.

Tbats the thing. Labour is not an issue. We share the silaging with my uncle. So he has tractors and drivers on here and vice versa. And we pull trailers so...
Budget is an issue. I recon 10k would be max. Am I going to get a cleaner harvester than I am wagon for that money?
The mengele is da job for you. Surly get a good one for 10k . Get a wide pick up and high chute and 200hp run it on 5 knives

Well it's a case of whatevere works best for yourself really. Especially if labour and extra tractors aren't an issue.
I changed to all bales this year as the father isn't as young as he was anymore and getting extra help was always an issue for the few days. Has been a lot simpler for me. I cut, ted , wrap and draw them myself. He does what he's able and that's fair enough too. At least if I have a late night stacking it's just me that has a late night :sweat:
I would see it being hard to get a decent wagon on your budget but who knows, time and patience can bring some surprises

Throwing something out there
Have two bigish trailers at the mo, 10 and 13t ish
Would a wagon which has a volume of the bigest trailer + say a half (1.5x the cubic m of the bigest) bring silage in faster then the harvester filling two trailers being towed??
All within .75 of a mile, mostly less than half a mile.

I am very un decided regarding chop length, not a digestion matter or anything (not starting that war again!) But practicality at the feed barrier, bales that have gone through the mixer wagon ALWAYS seem to take more room up at the barrier. And volume at the feed face is very important for us.

Would a wagon which has a volume of the bigest trailer + say a half (1.5x the cubic m of the bigest) bring silage in faster then the harvester filling two trailers being towed??

I am very un decided regarding chop length, not a digestion matter or anything (not starting that war again!) But practicality at the feed barrier, bales that have gone through the mixer wagon ALWAYS seem to take more room up at the barrier. And volume at the feed face is very important for us.
My 50cube will hold 2x 10 ton trailers
If i turn off auto fill it will hold 2x 12tonners:thumbup:
Ive done a few jobs where farmers sons are messing about with 2 trailed harvesters, like a jag 51 or mec 5 and have swamped them both

I'd say from my limited experience of seeing wagons working, that on your length of a draw that a wagon should easily beat the two trailers. Plus the added benefit of fuel plus labour saving. If i was going pit again in the future (possible in a few years ) would be wagon all the way for me :Thumbp2::Thumbp2: each to the system that works best for them though

Swap the drawbar off your current machine and sell the engine set up.

Surely make 2k to the right buyer?

Swap the drawbar off your current machine and sell the engine set up.

Surely make 2k to the right buyer?
Could well do. The draw bar is in fact the newest piece of it after a brown trouser moment a few years ago when the whole thing jacknifed down a hill!!

I have had JFs since 1985 , and have used a friends Mengele 40N . He previously had a very clean 1986 30N , and only reason for the upgrade was the built in hydraulic system on the 40.

If you are used to a Mengele , you are used to a heavy well built machine . A chain cover will be made from heavier sheet than the heaviest bit of a JF. You are used to keeping the blades in tight to the shear bar , blower paddles let out tight. Chokes in the narrow spout. The astronomical price of a set of blades and a shear bar. Great blow and good output , WHEN set up properly , and sicken you to look at if not.
Very simple build. Easy to do anything to , except to replace the front flywheel bearing , as you well know. I reckon you could keep a Mengele in good working order for a farmers use for ever. They haven't changed the design in 30 odd years , so it must have worked.

A JF will pick silage if half set up. To get the spout choked is a Rae enough occurrence. Parts not too dear ,but worse since Kongskilde got involved.. Made out of very light tin. Easy to drive. Good output .

A man near here bought a new 1060 last year. Pics in laoisfarmers pics last year. Picking 20 fts behind a 210 hp Deutz. He had a 1050 before that. A Pottinger mex6 before that. I thought that a great machine , but he would never go back to a flywheel. Reckons you would have a couple of acres picked with a JF , while unblocking a choke in the spout of a flywheel chopper.

Did you put back the cover to keep the grass out of the bearing when you replaced it ? Your own harvester could be in better order than a lot of S/Hs you will find.
Here's a video of that machine working

@Anglesey young farmer, a selection to suit all budgets

http://www.alexandertractors.com/inventory/reco-mengele-sh40n-harvester/
http://www.alexandertractors.com/inventory/mengele-sh40-n/
http://www.alexandertractors.com/inventory/menegele-sh40n/

Number 3 seems good value compared to the first pair.
My associate with the 40N gave €5000 for a red pickup model in 2010.
The price of a set of blades and a shear bar could make a cheap machine dear , or vice versa. The guts of €2000 , if putting a full set into it.

Reactions: AYF
What did you ever do about The Mengele @AYF ? Replace bearing in your own , or buy something different .?
Had a man in to replace it. He used to work for the local mengele dealer when trailed harvesters were popular still so...

She did the uncles harvest well enough. Not got anything to cut for her here yet so shall see how it goes.

On the lookout for a second machine though. But no rush

Back