Repair costs

Patrol

Hi , I’m looking for some advice on my car. I won’t mention brand etc as I’m still talking to dealer about it. It’s a 2016, was bought new & serviced by main dealer and has 190,000 km on it. The warranty ended after 4/5 years and since that the steering column, anti roll bar, dpf filter & injectors, turbo, catalytic converter and many other issues have occurred.

I’ve spent (stupidly) just under 15k on the car over its lifetime. I contacted the main importer with details & service records and they replied saying they and the dealer would provide a generous discount (about 30%) on the next big spend due on it.

At this stage I’ve lost all confidence in it and was wondering if anyone could recommend an independent person/company to review the cars service history and assess whether I just made a bad choice of car or whether the problems would be expected on the car at that age/mileage. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are components in there that should not be going at 190000 km. are they known type faults for that type model ?

Hi Ptk44, did searches on some of the problems. Definitely seems to be dpf problems and some turbo failures relating to oil. Steering column and other issues don’t seem to crop up.

Hi Ptk44, did searches on some of the problems. Definitely seems to be dpf problems and some turbo failures relating to oil. Steering column and other issues don’t seem to crop up.
Are you doing a lot of short runs? Solution to 90% of modern diesel cars problems is an sds but through the dpf and switch it off.

Yes short journeys, a few people said that about dpf etc but I went with dealer repair. Was hoping it would count at trade in. I’d probably have been told that some of the current problems had been caused if I had done that. 👍 seedsower.

any laundered diesel gone through it,

whats up with it, from the tone of your email, your expecting another big spend soon.

I think the Car had about 2.5k spent on it in first 4/5 years. No laundered diesel that I know off anyway. Thanks for posting that ts115, fair play to the mechanic for highlighting it, but some sickener to watch now. So much for car manufacturers going sustainable.

What model car..? I wouldn’t care about mentioning the brand, I’d be naming and shaming to be honest. the mistake your making is dealing with a main dealer, extortionate prices and just a replace everything attitude without solving and rectifying underlying issues. It’s 7 years old, find a mechanic who knows what they’re doing

im guessing small engined diesel, used for short journeys constantly which is why the emissions stuff in the engine is failing. also long life servicing is a joke, oil and filters should be changed regularly at
least every 10000km as the Emissions stuff such as DpF etc start going wrong, they cause oil problems in the engine. Then turbos etc cause problems

Last edited:
Ur right on all points Rathbran. I’ve 2 other vehicles with work & both are serviced by an independent mechanic and big difference in costs. I bought this car because I needed the 7 seats and the plan was to trade it in after 4/5 years but circumstances changed. I’m still on for getting the service records checked and at least because all the work was done by the main dealer, if something does show up, they can’t shift the blame.

what were the renault fluences like from 2014-2016, that would be the last of them

they are a bit cheaper than Skoda Octavias of that era

what were the renault fluences like from 2014-2016, that would be the last of them

they are a bit cheaper than Skoda Octavias of that era
Go for an Octavia over a fluency. Actually a much more practical car with a huge boot

A friend had a 2012 Fluence and brought it over 500k without any major issues, very few minor issues either. Had one here for 6 years without any problems, thought it was a very nice economical car at the time.

I was recently in a local car park and noted this addition to an 06 Renault Megane type people carrier. It would appear that the owner was having electrical issues and fitted an isolator/master switch to combat same.

Attachments

• received_947596409721666.jpg
    received_947596409721666.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 127
  • received_1205852286780700.jpg
    received_1205852286780700.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 126
Renault for that era offered a fairly comprehensive warranty on vehicles went over and above on warranty work.

Very economical car and under rated.

There was a sales rep here lately driving a 232 Octavia, it was 1.0L 3 cylinder petrol!
My experience is that modern diesels are not fit for purpose due to the unreliability of the emissions control systems. DPF, FAP, and DPF have all given bother in the last 3 modern diesels that we have owned in that order. We are told that these emission controls only work well if the car is driven long drives rather than driving around town. An hour each way every day is what ours drives and all gave bother at around the 100k mile mark. The most recent was a few months ago, gor the second time. Cleaned at 85k miles but blocked again at 95k miles. Honda wanted €2300 for a new dpf.

I would be interested to here from anyone on here with a modern diesel, 2016 up that have gone over the 100k mile mark and have had no dpf issues? Are cars with adblu escaping this problem?

My experience is that modern diesels are not fit for purpose due to the unreliability of the emissions control systems. DPF, FAP, and DPF have all given bother in the last 3 modern diesels that we have owned in that order. We are told that these emission controls only work well if the car is driven long drives rather than driving around town. An hour each way every day is what ours drives and all gave bother at around the 100k mile mark. The most recent was a few months ago, gor the second time. Cleaned at 85k miles but blocked again at 95k miles. Honda wanted €2300 for a new dpf.

I would be interested to here from anyone on here with a modern diesel, 2016 up that have gone over the 100k mile mark and have had no dpf issues? Are cars with adblu escaping this problem?
Had a 132 bmw 520d up to 200k no ad blu but had dpf. No issues. However 200k km not big milage in my book …

An Auris here @330,000Km needed a new dpf. Toyota offer an exchange program which reduces the price.

BMW engined Avensis have a recall on emissions system. Seemingly over filling the car with engine oil can lead to issues with dpf.

Mainly as the car has set perimeters before a re gen can begin.

An Auris here @330,000Km needed a new dpf. Toyota offer an exchange program which reduces the price.

BMW engined Avensis have a recall on emissions system. Seemingly over filling the car with engine oil can lead to issues with dpf.

Mainly as the car has set perimeters before a re gen can begin.
I watched a good few videos on YouTube from a mechanic in the UK who cleans dpf's, he tries to find out why the car is not doing dpf regen's first before cleaning it as unless the car is doing very short journeys all the time (or is a land-rover or jaguar 😃) you won't get problems with the dpf until mega miles.
Seems to be lots of reasons why cars won't do regen's of the dpf, low on fuel, engine oil service due, faulty dpf sensors, outside temperature sensor not working, any air leaks in the intakes etc, failure to do regens will result in the dpf getting blocked, dealers will only replace the blocked dpf's this guy cleans them enough so that the car will start doing regens again and obviously fix the actual reason why the won't regen in the first place.
A few of his latest videos were of Peugeot cars that throw up a dpf error at a calculated mileage, can't remember exact numbers but around 110k Miles, nothing wrong with the dpf, he just resets the error codes and tells the car it has a new dpf and away it goes!.

Back