Reseeding

Were thinking what to put down after our stubble turnips.

Dad is thinking undersown barley to make wholecrop bales.
I was thinking more towards a red clover sward. To get some home grown protein. And fatten lambs.

Is there such a plant as an annual protein?
Something cheap to establish that we can undersow with grass and bale when ready. And a bit of grazing after perhaps.

I know red clover would be the job. But we can't afford to not graze the field early next year, red clover isn't keen on early grazing so would not get full benefit from its cost.

Or is it cheap enough to bung in and get two cuts and a grazing this year?
Does it do well undersown?

I was thinking more towards a red clover sward. To get some home grown protein. And fatten lambs.

Something cheap to establish that we can undersow with grass and bale when ready. And a bit of grazing after perhaps.

I know red clover would be the job. But we can't afford to not graze the field early next year, red clover isn't keen on early grazing so would not get full benefit from its cost.

Red and large white clover with some decent rye grasses in the mix:Thumbp2:

Reactions: AYF

Could you keep on top of the vermin if whole crop were in bales, few round here have tried it but Roland is a big problem.

Could you keep on top of the vermin if whole crop were in bales, few round here have tried it but Roland is a big problem.
yeah, that's another concern! Plenty say that whole crop bales are a nightmare! We did some years ago, I think we got away with it then, but was only a handful of bales.

yeah, that's another concern! Plenty say that whole crop bales are a nightmare! We did some years ago, I think we got away with it then, but was only a handful of bales.

There's a new bale wrap that's getting good reviews for being vermin proof. It's about 50% more expensive than ordinary wrap but it is thicker and only needs 4 layers. Its made by raini. Distributed by a French company and available in the UK. Hoping to get some myself for to try out on a few bales. If you Google vermin proof bale wrap, it will come up.

Does the red clover take an early grazing well?
As in febuary, and constantly, not on rotation.
Just go large whites and small whites but I can't see much clover there in feb
Red grows from the crown,white from the roots

Reactions: AYF
There's a new bale wrap that's getting good reviews for being vermin proof. It's about 50% more expensive than ordinary wrap but it is thicker and only needs 4 layers. Its made by raini. Distributed by a French company and available in the UK. Hoping to get some myself for to try out on a few bales. If you Google vermin proof bale wrap, it will come up.
Now that you mention it I saw an article about it!
Must look it up!

Abergain
Aberchoice and drumbo.
Best mix out there by far
4 bags of 10 10 20, 2t lime at sowing and itll grow 18t for you.
Keep it looked after with p and k every year and itll last 8 to.10 years

Abergain
Aberchoice and drumbo.
Is this grazing or silage mix we are talking about,is it suitable for heavish ground

I have a customer that wants to grow 20 acres of tyfon for finishing lambs, the ground was ploughed last Saturday, tilled and fertilised today, this was all done as he had mistakenly told me that he was planning on sowing triticale for wholecrop. From what Iv read it seems it’s far too early for tyfon ? Or would ye chance it now anyway, he’s lambing since early March

I have a customer that wants to grow 20 acres of tyfon for finishing lambs, the ground was ploughed last Saturday, tilled and fertilised today, this was all done as he had mistakenly told me that he was planning on sowing triticale for wholecrop. From what Iv read it seems it’s far too early for tyfon ? Or would ye chance it now anyway, he’s lambing since early March
I sowed that last year I think it was around may if my memory is correct. Not great nowadays tho

Abergain
Aberchoice and drumbo.
A few sweeping recommendations in there.....?

2tn of lime? Surely the lime requirement will vary with soil type? 2tn of lime on some ground would cause all kinds of imbalances.
Add in 40 units of P as a general recommendation???? What if the soil is index 4?
Abergain is supposed to be difficult to graze out.

A few sweeping recommendations in there.....?

2tn of lime? Surely the lime requirement will vary with soil type? 2tn of lime on some ground would cause all kinds of imbalances.
Add in 40 units of P as a general recommendation???? What if the soil is index 4?
Abergain is supposed to be difficult to graze out.
I think a heap of P is a waste for a crop of grass at the start, I’m far more in favor of 1/2 at the start and half 8-10 weeks later. Less likely to leach.

Back