silage analysis results

Would that ration be finishing a continental type animal? Using a lot of belgian blue at home here on the fleckvieh cows, like them so far, easier to calve on average than charolais so far.
In future we'd possibly like to finish them ourselves, but calf trade is strong and its a lot of money tied up in the bought in feed.
Purebred or crossbred fleckvieh cows?

Would that ration be finishing a continental type animal? Using a lot of belgian blue at home here on the fleckvieh cows, like them so far, easier to calve on average than charolais so far.
In future we'd possibly like to finish them ourselves, but calf trade is strong and its a lot of money tied up in the bought in feed.
probably not for the smartest of beasts,lims blues etc
i have a few here and they do ok on it but you could be more intensive, ie maybe some maize/spuds as well
yard here is mainly he/aa steers

as we are in a predominant dairy area all calves/stores are dairy crosses so i lower my expectations

Blues are a disaster for indoors, haven’t got the lung capacity of other breeds

At least with a feet issue you can salvage a value, with lung issues it’s a dead duck.

An upside down triangle is how I would describe the U and E blues
Maybe best let someone else worry about it then so.
Seriously though struggling to decide on the best cross. My father is convinced Angus will be "easier finished" but honestly what does that even mean? Is it true does it have any data backing it up.
I can Google research into both pure Fleckvieh and Fleckvieh x Charolais but it's hard to find real studies on bull beef in other breeds.

Maybe best let someone else worry about it then so.
Seriously though struggling to decide on the best cross. My father is convinced Angus will be "easier finished" but honestly what does that even mean? Is it true does it have any data backing it up.
I can Google research into both pure Fleckvieh and Fleckvieh x Charolais but it's hard to find real studies on bull beef in other breeds.

Are you selling the calves or finishing them yourselves?

What is very well saved haylage worth?
Poor quality grass sward, well preserved and palatable, but medium/lowish dmd.

Back