Slurry spreading

This is the lightest cover we have cows were on this up to the 1st week in Nov and it was down to the clay wen they came off it. Shoe or dribble bar
I notice no water around the toe of your wellie ! I take it your not from around here then (kerry):Whistle2:

I wonder did that re seeded field get a post emergence spray-if it did not then that would explain it. Slurry is like cocaine to seedling docks
They do get high on it. :laugh: I'll bet they were there as seedlings after the reseed but would not be obvious from over the hedge in a grazing situation but run it to meadow and they will stand out.

This is the lightest cover we have cows were on this up to the 1st week in Nov and it was down to the clay wen they came off it. Shoe or dribble bar
As you have mentioned previously the shoe is on a tanker and the dribble bar on an umbilical I'd say go with the dribble bar as you will have less wheelings and therefore less grass flattened before the spreading.

Spread with umbilical and drrible bar and your cows can go out on the grass the next day. Trailing shoe is just that, its NOT designed to go into the ground, only push the grass aside so the slurry is applied ONTO the soil surface. Buy an INJECTOR if you want your slurry IN the Ground.

Spread with umbilical and drrible bar and your cows can go out on the grass the next day. Trailing shoe is just that, its NOT designed to go into the ground, only push the grass aside so the slurry is applied ONTO the soil surface. Buy an INJECTOR if you want your slurry IN the Ground.
I'd give it a fortnight before letting the cows or any stock back on it, firstly they will go back in milk and secondly they will pick it up on the hoof and taint the rest

I'd give it a fortnight before letting the cows or any stock back on it, firstly they will go back in milk and secondly they will pick it up on the hoof and taint the rest

Thirdly is there not a risk of e-coli or salmonella? Just recalling a conversation I had with my brother on injectors. He was talking to a dairy farmer and being too quick to turn cows out on freshly slurried fields.

we spread on fields grazed by dairy cows while there still grazing it

Have a shoe here and a herd of dairy cows. There's absolutely no way I'd go in the next day with cows. If it was thick slurry, it'd want a good washing of rain or 14 days. Watery slurry would be fine in a week. There's all sorts of nasty problems that could arise from cows injesting slurry. Don't mind sales talk, get down to the sward on your knees and have a real good look at what's going on.

Have a shoe here and a herd of dairy cows. There's absolutely no way I'd go in the next day with cows. If it was thick slurry, it'd want a good washing of rain or 14 days. Watery slurry would be fine in a week. There's all sorts of nasty problems that could arise from cows injesting slurry. Don't mind sales talk, get down to the sward on your knees and have a real good look at what's going on.
Very true. Would you put slurry on top of the feed in the shed in front of the cows. We done a field as a trail with the shoe. Slurry is only starting to break down now and that was nearly a month ago now. Not a hope I would have cows on it any sooner

Yeah slurry must be spread with a downward, low trajectory splash plate. A rain gun can only be used for parlour washings. I don't think it can be used for soiled water but I could be wrong on that.
These must be rules that are made to be broken, I don't have to travel far to see someone using an upward splash plate and today saw a lad beside a public road lashing out a heap of stuff with a rain gun, same lad has just bought a new tank with trailing shoe obviously grant aided and it's sat in the yard while he pays someone else to do the dirt, bloody annoys me that he has been grant aided for something thats supposed to help with ag emissions and then does the job in the most harmful way.

These must be rules that are made to be broken, I don't have to travel far to see someone using an upward splash plate and today saw a lad beside a public road lashing out a heap of stuff with a rain gun, same lad has just bought a new tank with trailing shoe obviously grant aided and it's sat in the yard while he pays someone else to do the dirt, bloody annoys me that he has been grant aided for something thats supposed to help with ag emissions and then does the job in the most harmful way.

I suppose he had no choice.
If the land is two wet to travel and tanks are full options are limited

Nobody down this of the country expected to have cows housed at the start of Sept full time and now facing Feb and land wetter than it ever was and tanks almost full what's one to do ?
I accept what's happening in some parts but this is different territory.

Maybe he should have spent his money on slurry storage, ramping up the cow numbers is the cause of a share of his problem.
The storage is one issue but he could have animals in with a long time longer than normal.
I would say the most storage any farm has left that I've been on lately is a foot if even if it doesn't clear up some of them will be in an awful way.
You'd just about travel limestone ground here
It's this calendar farming is a total joke it doest work at all last winter it practically didn't rain for the whole closed season and it pissed down from the 15th of Jan onwards

The storage is one issue but he could have animals in with a long time longer than normal.
I would say the most storage any farm has left that I've been on lately is a foot if even if it doesn't clear up some of them will be in an awful way.
You'd just about travel limestone ground here
It's this calendar farming is a total joke it doest work at all last winter it practically didn't rain for the whole closed season and it pissed down from the 15th of Jan onwards
You're missing the point I'm making, he has been grant aided to reduce emissions and does the worst thing possible, iirc you were recently complaining about who was eligible for grants.

Back