Spring Barley - General Thread

I've got 15 acres of spring barley and pea mix to go in, it's being ploughed today, all being well, I was wondering whether it was too late to go now, and whether to play safe and go for a grass reseed instead, downside of doing that i could do with both the corn for feeding and the straw *if* it comes ok, if it doesn't come or it gets too late for combining, i've wasted nearly £2K of organic seed.

What do you guys think, drill or don't drill?

I've got 15 acres of spring barley and pea mix to go in, it's being ploughed today, all being well, I was wondering whether it was too late to go now, and whether to play safe and go for a grass reseed instead, downside of doing that i could do with both the corn for feeding and the straw *if* it comes ok, if it doesn't come or it gets too late for combining, i've wasted nearly £2K of organic seed.

I certainly wouldn’t consider it too late.

18 acres in since it came. Not a bad machine View attachment 136782
Those discs under the drills tend to ridge in soft ploughing. It’s not an issue in the autumn as it has plenty time to settle before harvest but in spring grain it can be a dose cutting it especially if your having to cut low in brackled barley as the clay ridge keeps building up on the knife in the same spot.
They are a great job in the autumn as the slightly rougher seedbed leaves the water away better than a fine seedbed left by a power Harrow.

Surely push come to shove, could make wholecrop out of it? Still get your feed out of it

Surely push come to shove, could make wholecrop out of it? Still get your feed out of it
fair point,whole crop would be a get out route if it looks like it won't ripen in time. i#'d prefer to get it as a combinable crop if i can though as it would be worth a lot more to me, i use it to feed young stock and calves as the price of organic corn is astronomical. the straw would come in handy this year as well

Reactions: c4l
Jesus I would think that it wouldn’t be much good in the backend for me anyway, you would definitely want a lot better seedbed in front of it than a normal one pass

Spring barley very slow about coming here. The extreme variation in temperature is obvious.

A field sown late Sunday night, 10 days ago, is breaking ground well this evening and it's neighbours are a bit behind it but only sown the following morning.

Seen a video a Wexford farmer had up on Facebook (could be a member here as I don’t know how I’m friends with him) but the seedbed was turned into some slop already

Seen a video a Wexford farmer had up on Facebook (could be a member here as I don’t know how I’m friends with him) but the seedbed was turned into some slop already
Alright if there isn't a bit of stiching to be done after this weekend. We thought we were in for a drought after 9 months of rain!!

Back