Spring Wheat

On the driving I dont know why he opened a land, but.. with the tramlines to guide you can safely open one that wont leave you with a half run at the end etc and it means he can cut around in a circle without reversing at the ends ... but Ive never driven one either .
On cost of growing , weve grown all spring barley for malting here with years, since the beet actually. This year we grew spring wheat just because of the 2 crop rule. It got 120 units of n, and one extra head spray that the spring barley didnt get. Its on continuous tillage land and had fym and mustard cover crop ploughed in and was set with grain and fert drill.

And there was me wondering the same, I taught there was some technical reason as is a machine I have never driven. So is there a reason??

How much cheaper can a crop of spring wheat be grown over winter??

Sounds like a fine yield there nailus, how does it compare to the SB in terms of margin do you reckon?

Thanks nash, not knowing the prices of anything yet its hard to say for sure, but I suppose feed wheat would be a close enough price to malting barley ?.. if thats the case then we got 3.3 ton/acre of spring barley this year, so the wheat gave .5 ton more per acre at the extra cost of 1 head spray. We use the majority of our straw for bedding so we wouldnt place any extra value on barley over wheat straw, I know that wouldnt be the case with everyone. So Id say it will pay better than malting barley and much better than feed barley. I will do the sums when dairygold come up with the grain prices ...

Sounds like a fine yield there nailus, how does it compare to the SB in terms of margin do you reckon?

Are you sure its a width and a half? It might actually fit looking at the pic closely. He likes straight swathes of straw.

No I am not sure. I looked closely at the photo for a minute too and came to my conclusion that it would not fit, however the camera can often give a misleading impression so who knows. It doesnt really matter because since the explanation was given above I can understand why it was done (which was my initial query) even though I wouldnt do it that way myself. As is said many times it would be a boring auld place if we all did everything the same way!

Having done a good share of baleing down the years as well, I too really appreciate a good straight row of straw. It makes baleing easier and possibly faster.

Some people meander all over the place on a combine , you'd wonder what they are thinking about , while others such as in the photo above keep it straight and tidy

On the driving I dont know why he opened a land, but.. with the tramlines to guide you can safely open one that wont leave you with a half run at the end etc and it means he can cut around in a circle without reversing at the ends ... but Ive never driven one either .

Thanks I understand that now.

Titan Having done a good share of baleing down the years as well said:
i often find myself givin out about the combine driver too. but at the end of the day i suppose the combine isnt just there to row up a nice row for the baler, its has a more important task so i have to forgive them

i often find myself givin out about the combine driver too. but at the end of the day i suppose the combine isnt just there to row up a nice row for the baler, its has a more important task so i have to forgive them

Now I get what you're saying and this is my theory on it.

The man who does everything himself, when on a job is thinking about how he can make the next job easier for himself , be that straight rows of straw or position of tramlines or to plough another run around the headland because it will be leveller for the sprayer for the rest of the year.

Then you have the fella who wont be baleing the straw so he doesn't give a shit where the straw lands because he is the big important combine driver and is on a mission to tear off to the next field....
or He's lucky to get tramlines at all so what if theres an ESB pole in there....
or It will keep the spray agitated when driving along all the ins and outs of the plough.

Clearly I have given two extremes here and there will be a whole raft of folk in the middle but it is pleasant to come across a man who thinks about the next operation when its not going to be him.

Now I get what you're saying and this is my theory on it.

The man who does everything himself, when on a job is thinking about how he can make the next job easier for himself , be that straight rows of straw or position of tramlines or to plough another run around the headland because it will be leveller for the sprayer for the rest of the year.

Then you have the fella who wont be baleing the straw so he doesn't give a shit where the straw lands because he is the big important combine driver and is on a mission to tear off to the next field....
or He's lucky to get tramlines at all so what if theres an ESB pole in there....
or It will keep the spray agitated when driving along all the ins and outs of the plough.

Clearly I have given two extremes here and there will be a whole raft of folk in the middle but it is pleasant to come across a man who thinks about the next operation when its not going to be him.

It's all about doing the job well and making it easier if possible for the next job, all combine drivers should have to serve their time as baler drivers first.

It's all about doing the job well and making it easier if possible for the next job, all combine drivers should have to serve their time as baler drivers first.

Yes they should ,even just squaring headland corners and backing up 20 yards instead of leaving a snail trail everywhere .bad and all as it is cleaning it up with a round baler it's impossible with the square one , one man I bale for has no respect at all and says sure leave it it'll be ok to which I replied it's you whole have it dragging in the plough , surprisingly enough this year seemed a lot better and his fields were a lot cleaner [emoji16][emoji33][emoji33][emoji16]

My combining policy.
Drive into corner, back up keeping all straw on sward. Rear camera really helps with this. Then drive around corner. If you keep your speed up, the straw will fall away from the corner giving the guy on the baler a chance to straighten up before he starts taking in straw.
Once The field is open, I cut from one side. When I get to the end of the run, I drive straight maintaining the same speed till the straw is out of the machine, then curving slightly away from the standing crop. Then reverse around in the direction of the standing crop. When the combine completes the reverse, the header should be square with the standing crop.
This process eliminates tail swerves in the straw swards and does not take any extra time when you get the hang of it.
I just cant stand looking at swards curved at the end as operators turn into the standing crop only to enter off angle.

Yes they should ,even just squaring headland corners and backing up 20 yards instead of leaving a snail trail everywhere .bad and all as it is cleaning it up with a round baler it's impossible with the square one , one man I bale for has no respect at all and says sure leave it it'll be ok to which I replied it's you whole have it dragging in the plough , surprisingly enough this year seemed a lot better and his fields were a lot cleaner [emoji16][emoji33][emoji33][emoji16]

why do ya think its more difficult for square baler? having used both couldnt see much of a difference

why do ya think its more difficult for square baler? having used both couldnt see much of a difference

There's not a wide angle shaft on our baler and it doesn't like being turned to sharp to much which means you have to work in sets which makes it harder clean headlands , with the round baler you could follow the way the field is cut , most lads we bale after work up and down not in sets if you get me .the round baler is also handier to back up and follows the tractor better on corners and sharp turns .

There's not a wide angle shaft on our baler and it doesn't like being turned to sharp to much which means you have to work in sets which makes it harder clean headlands , with the round baler you could follow the way the field is cut , most lads we bale after work up and down not in sets if you get me .the round baler is also handier to back up and follows the tractor better on corners and sharp turns .

Have you a camera on the back of your baler? We had a contractor in baling that had one on his, it's a great job. He could back up when ever he wanted, and when baling in the same field as the combine he could back up and let the bale slide off near the hedge, if that makes sense. Will definitely be putting one on the baler here next year.

Have you a camera on the back of your baler? We had a contractor in baling that had one on his, it's a great job. He could back up when ever he wanted, and when baling in the same field as the combine he could back up and let the bale slide off near the hedge, if that makes sense. Will definitely be putting one on the baler here next year.

Have one on the back and one for looking at the knotters (can't see them when I'm full of twine on top) it does make life very handy as can drop a bale before I need to back up or leave it out of the way before it falls .

Have one on the back and one for looking at the knotters (can't see them when I'm full of twine on top) it does make life very handy as can drop a bale before I need to back up or leave it out of the way before it falls .

If your doing 8 foots, the bale will drop just after it ties

With the spring wheat starting to get wrapped up, what are the general consensus lads from those of you growing it?

(I am going to sow Spring Wheat after Winter wheat Rape and Oats as the three previous crops . There is very little Winter wheat sown and Spring Wheat should yield as well as Barley and get up to forty Euro more an acre to compensate for extra cost . I find it far easier to sell Wheat than Barley and there seems to be a lot of Winter Barley around .)

With the spring wheat starting to get wrapped up, what are the general consensus lads from those of you growing it?
I got 20 Euro a tonne over Barley Price for my Spring wheat so that is at least €60 an acre more . My Spring Barley has probably out yielded the spring wheat by a small bit . It bushelled 79 to 80Kph . I think I would Push the N up to 140 units . I may give a look but I think there is very little difference in the costs . My neighboutr got 4.7 tonne of quintus in Lea . His P level was extremely low but it was drilled with the Horsch seed and fert drill .
I will be growing it again and it was very easy to sell .

(I am going to sow Spring Wheat after Winter wheat Rape and Oats as the three previous crops . There is very little Winter wheat sown and Spring Wheat should yield as well as Barley and get up to forty Euro more an acre to compensate for extra cost . I find it far easier to sell Wheat than Barley and there seems to be a lot of Winter Barley around .)

I got 20 Euro a tonne over Barley Price for my Spring wheat so that is at least €60 an acre more . My Spring Barley has probably out yielded the spring wheat by a small bit . It bushelled 79 to 80Kph . I think I would Push the N up to 140 units . I may give a look but I think there is very little difference in the costs . My neighboutr got 4.7 tonne of quintus in Lea . His P level was extremely low but it was drilled with the Horsch seed and fert drill .
I will be growing it again and it was very easy to sell .

That's a good price for wheat over barley, would you get the same price differential for the winter wheat?

That's a good price for wheat over barley, would you get the same price differential for the winter wheat?
Not a hope €10 lower for the Lumos . Always easier sell Wheat than Barley if the Bushel is right . If its low its hard to shift .

The quintas I had after old grass in pretty run down land did 3.5t at 18% so happy enough, main reason I sat it was because its right beside where I am sowing winter wheat next month so I'll 2nd crop that land and match the fields in. Will I grow it next year?-not the plan anyway. The neighbour here grows a lot of spring wheat, the land get 4k gallons of pig slurry mid feb and 4k before ploughing, 2 bags of 19-0-15 and no more fert, he did between 3.5 and 4.1t this year

I think the new spring wheats are quite good so I'll probably go with spring stuff, it's very hard to get ploughing maize ground in February as it soaks down a lot of water and is slow to dry out, if it was osr or oats stubbles you would have a better chance, it's crows are our issue so feb sowing of either can usually be tricky

Back