Stock Pictures

Looking on done deal I see lads still asking enough for sucks, are they still selling well despite all the doom and gloom

Anyone else having issues with pneumonia, 10 cases here in 24 hours, had. Weanling with a temp of 107.5 yesterday down to 102.5 today. Mostly bought in forward stores . Seems to be comrade cattle getting it in certain pens.

Had 3 here today. Worst 1 was back eating tonight. Vet said they have gotten busy in the last 2 days with it and getting it hard to cure where no vaccination

Anyone else having issues with pneumonia, 10 cases here in 24 hours, had. Weanling with a temp of 107.5 yesterday down to 102.5 today. Mostly bought in forward stores . Seems to be comrade cattle getting it in certain pens.

We vaccinated all weanlings with bovilis ibr live marker upon housing. We had a lot of trouble with pneumonia last year. Had the vet out 4 times and ended up treating everything in the shed. We lost 2 weeks of thrive.

The bovilis cost less than 4 euro each and was simple to give - just blow 2ml up their nose. We will be doing it from now on before animals have to go through any stress like weaning or housing.

We vaccinated all weanlings with bovilis ibr live marker upon housing. We had a lot of trouble with pneumonia last year. Had the vet out 4 times and ended up treating everything in the shed. We lost 2 weeks of thrive.

The bovilis cost less than 4 euro each and was simple to give - just blow 2ml up their nose. We will be doing it from now on before animals have to go through any stress like weaning or housing.
Everything gets an IBR vaccine here when it's bought in. It's cheap insurance in a situation like ours.

Our vet recommended that we use rispoval up the nose and use the ibr intramuscularly. He thinks ibr affects older stock and weanlings are more prone to the other types

This is first year in the last seven or eight years that we have had no pneumonia at all. Our problem was always calves up to about four months old, and practically never after that.Some years were rightly cursed with it. I must say that I never found the vaccine good. What do ye use for treating it? I found Nuflor works best here.

IBR into muscle a week after arriving ( by the time I get to them they are weighed clipped and dosed at the same time) started buying the start of oct. Big cattle go straight in when they arrive, I've a small number of cont X AA weanlings that will be outwinteted, they get IBR and Bovipast 4 in 1.

This is first year in the last seven or eight years that we have had no pneumonia at all. Our problem was always calves up to about four months old, and practically never after that.Some years were rightly cursed with it. I must say that I never found the vaccine good. What do ye use for treating it? I found Nuflor works best here.
Nuflor here too. Great stuff. However, we have found the odd case where Nuflor doesn't have any effect so we keep a bottle of Marbocyl in the cabinet too.

Calves are weaned 8 weeks of these girls. The plan is 10 to 12 weeks feeding before slaughter. They are getting 3kg of greenans maze nuts each per day through the lick feeder. They have done incredible well for cows that reared calves. The black one is missing a few teeth. They have really started to fill out well in the last 3 weeks. 3 more weeks of feeding and a fresh field of grass should leave them in good shape for killing. They are just mucking a bit around the feeder but other than that ground is holding up well.

View attachment 71524
Do you recommend that particular feeder Mucky? Is it fair to ask what kind of cost and how many cattle could feed off it, have you tried course ration in it . getting sick of troughs here and drawing bags of ration out

Do you recommend that particular feeder Mucky? Is it fair to ask what kind of cost and how many cattle could feed off it, have you tried course ration in it . getting sick of troughs here and drawing bags of ration out

Yea. I like the feeder. It was listed at 1200 but bought closer to 1000 because it was a demo. Unused but had been at a few shows.

It will feed nuts, mixed ration or straights. Have fed all 3 through it and it works equally well for any of them. It takes a while to get used of the settings and settings depend on the size of the animal eating from it. Bigger animals need smaller gaps in the lick plates.

I know it looks small, but we use it in our slatted Shed. We often have 10 stores eating from one side. So technically if you had cattle accessing it from both sides you could feed 20 x500 kg stores. It's light in weight but made from strong stuff as cattle haven't bent it and they are plucking and scratching at it all the time.

It works because there's only ever 2 or 3 animals eating at it at any time. At first they all try to eat together, but after a day or 2 they figure that if they wait until the lad ahead of them has licked until his tongue dries out then they will get a turn. It becomes civilised when they realise that they don't have to compete for meal

Yea. I like the feeder. It was listed at 1200 but bought closer to 1000 because it was a demo. Unused but had been at a few shows.

It will feed nuts, mixed ration or straights. Have fed all 3 through it and it works equally well for any of them. It takes a while to get used of the settings and settings depend on the size of the animal eating from it. Bigger animals need smaller gaps in the lick plates.

I know it looks small, but we use it in our slatted Shed. We often have 10 stores eating from one side. So technically if you had cattle accessing it from both sides you could feed 20 x500 kg stores. It's light in weight but made from strong stuff as cattle haven't bent it and they are plucking and scratching at it all the time.

It works because there's only ever 2 or 3 animals eating at it at any time. At first they all try to eat together, but after a day or 2 they figure that if they wait until the lad ahead of them has licked until his tongue dries out then they will get a turn. It becomes civilised when they realise that they don't have to compete for meal
Thats a reasonable enough way to try 1.. have an O neill here in shed with about 40 feeding off 1 side and could use both sides but then feed passage would be compromised, so went with lesser evil. Its too big in reality for soft conditions outside, and expensive for a small bunch, i think, so that had me wondering about yours. Could ve had 3 of yours for same money as 2 ton model, open to correction..An early xmas present to myself might be in order.

How are the cattle doing now, any improvement?

The kids have 2 pets that were bucket fed. It really gives them an interest. They will also be great for putting into a 2 acre field that's away from the rest of the land next summer as they will be quiet and come to a bucket.

View attachment 72180
Its a great idea..is it just around here that most of the younger farmers come from non-dairy farms even though the income would be higher in dairy usually ?

Is that your redstart?

They are all lovely animals and aren't doing much damage.
Yeah, that's the worst of the redstart, I have a problem with sedge grass in that area and it almost impossible to kill with graminicide because of the very narrow waxy leaves.
Do you want a dwarf charolias?

Back