Straw Prices

I saw two loads heading west out of Cork yesterday and one on the road in Clare this morning. This wet fall will create plenty of demand yet, a good few fields with ponds of water from Cork to Galway. Don’t give it away under price.

Hold your ground with the price. If it's in the shed it's not going anywhere!!!

I have yet to cut a field of barley and feel that the straw was fit to bale the same day. I always try to leave it for 3 days but sometimes, in good sunshine 2 days will do and turn it once. My quantity is small and I have all my own gear so can afford to wait till its fit to bale, but I do see some not being done correctly. It beats me how guys will buy this and come back the following year for more of the same.

I have yet to cut a field of barley and feel that the straw was fit to bale the same day. I always try to leave it for 3 days but sometimes, in good sunshine 2 days will do and turn it once. My quantity is small and I have all my own gear so can afford to wait till its fit to bale, but I do see some not being done correctly. It beats me how guys will buy this and come back the following year for more of the same.
It's wrong but will be ok in a chopper or blower

People generally go into panic mode at harvest time, its got to be done now whether there's rain about or not. I refuse to bale if its not fit unless someone really insisted, after all it'll be me who's at fault if it was not right at the time. :rolleyes2: You know within a few bales when using a big square whether its fit or not, ought to have a moisture meter really as they might believe that more!!

Expensive at that, outside and about 25 inches of rain since they were baled

Being stacked might not help but I drew in straw only 3 weeks ago that was left out in a field where it landed out of the baler. Farmer opened one there and then when I brought up the first load and not a bother. First half inch bit browned but 97% of the bale looked and smelled perfect. Have to go bring in another 4 load around Christmas for him

20 years still visible here :scared:
There's a spot in a field beside the yard at home where a knapsack sprayer was rinsed out after a demonstration of a long forgotten chemical in the 70's. It was bare for surely 30 years, not a single blade of anything grew in it.

Apparently, Rodgers is dictating the national price. Every user is expecting their straw delivered in at a price to beat or equal his price.
Numerous buyers/sellers have told me that.
A farmer in Co. Laois offered him straw at €7 and he wouldn't give it, he said he was getting it cheaper in Wexford.
So, its whatever clowns are selling it to him, seems to be causing problems for everyone else.
And, don't shoot the messenger.

Apparently, Rodgers is dictating the national price. Every user is expecting their straw delivered in at a price to beat or equal his price.
Numerous buyers/sellers have told me that.
A farmer in Co. Laois offered him straw at €7 and he wouldn't give it, he said he was getting it cheaper in Wexford.
So, its whatever clowns are selling it to him, seems to be causing problems for everyone else.
And, don't shoot the messenger.
Funny last of my mind was sold this week and it made north of 12 euro a bale and not much straw left for sale around me. I might even have to buy a few bales myself to get me to end of winter as i might have over sold

Back