The future of the tillage sector

Ive just been approached by a Dairy farmer who wants me to grow him 30 acres of maize under plastic .
Will i miss out on the payment ??
And also given the steep input bill for maize what sort of upfront deposit should i ask for ??
I got well scalded before with beet when the purchaser reneged so growing anything you cant put across a merchants weighbridge makes me wary ...
All input appreciated
Thanks in advance .
Seed, plastic, sprays and pay for the sowing. Sell back on a tonnage bases. That way you can weigh the loads. Normally maize will average 21 ton probably a shade more per ac. Be careful going into a lay field due to wireworm. Slurry and nitrogen after that.

IMG_3769.jpegIMG_3777.jpegIMG_3776.jpegIMG_3775.jpegIMG_3774.jpegIMG_3771.jpegIMG_3770.jpegWent to France this week to visit an OSR breeding company.

Some interesting machines. They are using a drone to measure flowering dates and biomass differences between plots.

Land has been very wet there too and both winter and recently planted spring crops showing the signs of it. This was just south of Paris. Fabulous land.

Last edited:
View attachment 136374View attachment 136375View attachment 136376View attachment 136377View attachment 136378View attachment 136379View attachment 136380Went to France this week to visit an OSR breeding company.

Some interesting machines. They are using a drone to measure flowering dates and biomass differences between plots.

Land has been very wet there too and both winter and recently planted spring crops showing the signs of it. This was just south of Paris. Fabulous land.
Thought I was looking at something from a Guy Ritchie flick from the first photo

Back