The future of the tillage sector

First saw that in trials in I think 2019, they are talking about it since then but it seems to be getting pushed out again and again as it’s struggling to tick all the regulatory boxes I think.
From what I heard, it was unlucky in that it got tripped up when eu regulations changed along the way.
From the last report from Syngenta, I thought they seemed quite optimistic and they would usually be conservative enough. Fingers crossed.

Beans in so also?
There are no details of it announced yet but I’d be surprised if beans were included as they already qualify for the protein payment.
I’ll gladly take the €40 an acre but if you were half dodgy about sowing if you were on late and or heavy ground and looking like €189-190 for feed barley and 2.5T an acre then the €40 will do nothing for that.

There are no details of it announced yet but I’d be surprised if beans were included as they already qualify for the protein payment.
I’ll gladly take the €40 an acre but if you were half dodgy about sowing if you were on late and or heavy ground and looking like €189-190 for feed barley and 2.5T an acre then the €40 will do nothing for that.
Seed bought, haven't done all the figures yet but with one fungicide and 2 bags 0 10 20 could still work out. If some lads hold off on the beans there should be a full protein payment. Straw with at least 25 per bale off the field could swing it though. Need to do some sums.

Another million for Coolmore . Ballon Barley Barons will have Kimberly Biscuits in the ploughing tractors.
Agree 100%. Coolmore don’t need grants.
It would be a lot fairer to target that money.

Back when milk quotas went Brussels gave handouts to all dairy farmers..colloquially it became known as the ‘Ski holiday grant’.
The grant was targeted to those that needed it most by the French whereas the Irish government just gave a blanket payment.
It’s not beyond the capability of the Dept. to target those funds, and in doing so they’d get a lot more bang for buck.

Ive just been approached by a Dairy farmer who wants me to grow him 30 acres of maize under plastic .
Will i miss out on the payment ??
And also given the steep input bill for maize what sort of upfront deposit should i ask for ??
I got well scalded before with beet when the purchaser reneged so growing anything you cant put across a merchants weighbridge makes me wary ...
All input appreciated
Thanks in advance .

Ive just been approached by a Dairy farmer who wants me to grow him 30 acres of maize under plastic .
And also given the steep input bill for maize what sort of upfront deposit should i ask for ??
I got well scalded before with beet when the purchaser reneged so growing anything you cant put across a merchants weighbridge makes me wary ...
All input appreciated
Thanks in advance .
Safest way is he pays you per acre and he pays for inputs contractors etc, you keep the maps. That way, no skin in the game

I would expect that maize and beet will be excluded, I could be wrong.
Both crops are high value, also they aren’t planted yet, nor is it late for them.
it could be a great year for maize.

There are some who are getting on very well with inter farm trading.
It takes two likes minded farmers to make it work.

I would be hesitant of entering into a deal, where upfront payment was required.

All input appreciated
Thanks in advance .
I grew it for 3 years under plastic for a dairy farmer, my agreement was 25% up front before sowing, then 3 more 25% installments during the summer months when the milk cheque came, it was a per acre in the pit price. From my experience if you can get slurry off him do and if you could at all set it in the open if you have suitable sites, that plastic is horrific and it's going to be late now anyway, the bio film did seem much better from what I saw harvesting it last Autumn

All input appreciated
Thanks in advance .

@marco sumed it up exactly the way I have done it and would suggest it be done.

Back