The grazing season

July 19 is going far better than July 18 in terms of grass growth anyway but it's hard to keep quality grass in front of them with grass heading out with the heat. I put a few strong paddocks into the pit ten days ago and im going to cut the second cut next week.

Winter has started here with around half of the cattle housed since yesterday. Il bring in the rest of them over the next ten days.

Winter has started here with around half of the cattle housed since yesterday. Il bring in the rest of them over the next ten days.

I have 30 in this 10 days. Cattle fine for another 2 weeks . But milkers getting very shaky , with Fields getting chopped enough today.

@dstig . You often speak of wet ground conditions. How are you faring out at the moment ?

I have 30 in this 10 days. Cattle fine for another 2 weeks . But milkers getting very shaky , with Fields getting chopped enough today.

@dstig . You often speak of wet ground conditions. How are you faring out at the moment ?
Oh I've waved the white flag since the start of September, things were going lovely all summer plenty of grass just the right amount of rain and made lots of bales. Then August came and we got 8 inches of rain and it really hasn't stopped since,they have been in and out from the start of September,housed full time aswell ,had em out by day for a week on my "dry ground "in the last wk of Sept only cause there was a heap of grass on the farm but housed full time after that as too much damage was happening . Its going to be a very long winter, only calves out and they are marking

Grazing will end for me next week. Land is failing and the grass is getting walked down more then it's been grazed off. Cattle are surprisingly enough fairly content despite all the rain of late.

Oh I've waved the white flag since the start of September, things were going lovely all summer plenty of grass just the right amount of rain and made lots of bales. Then August came and we got 8 inches of rain and it really hasn't stopped since,they have been in and out from the start of September,housed full time aswell ,had em out by day for a week on my "dry ground "in the last wk of Sept only cause there was a heap of grass on the farm but housed full time after that as too much damage was happening . Its going to be a very long winter, only calves out and they are marking

That is tough.
Is it the nature of your ground that causes this ? As in soil/subsoil ? Could sorting a few springs out help ?
Extremely difficult to plan , when the winter can include part of the summer .

I

60% housed today, very pleased how well they have done since they were last in the crush.

That ends grazing on our wetter land which is very difficult this week despite plenty of grass on it.

The rest have about a week left and that will end that. Similar enough to most years but grazing out could be a lot better.

it's the Joy's of only having 3-4 inches of soil and an endless amount of mud underneath and blue mud at that

I know the feeling. Nothing like as bad as yours . But would have plenty of 6 inches over marla.
This is possibly.as bad as I'd have the cows on. It's coming to a point , and facing for the gap . Sickening.
20191019_155608.jpg

I know the feeling. Nothing like as bad as yours . But would have plenty of 6 inches over marla.
This is possibly.as bad as I'd have the cows on. It's coming to a point , and facing for the gap . Sickening.
View attachment 70828
I can't like that but I know the feeling when I finished up here my whole field was like that so I pulled the plug on it ,just wasn't worth it so demoralising going into a field like that

View attachment 70828

Pulled the plug on ground like that yesterday, in truth we mentally pulled the plug on it two weeks ago.

There were light covers on it the week of the Ploughing match and we stocked it heavy that week, a blessing in disguise.

Could have done with grazing it again but couldn't bear to have it looking similar to above. Not the done thing I know.

Grazing conditions not bad here but the grass just isn't there. I'm abit sorry now I didn't go with another bag of nitrogen in mid/late Sept, we tend to get a very good response from it here despite the research saying otherwise.

That is tough.
Is it the nature of your ground that causes this ? As in soil/subsoil ? Could sorting a few springs out help ?
Extremely difficult to plan , when the winter can include part of the summer .

I

Would your land be anything like the land that the ploughing is held on, or it that ground just in isolated pockets around the country

Would your land be anything like the land that the ploughing is held on, or it that ground just in isolated pockets around the country

I don't know where in particular who mean with the Ploughing ? Anna May wont be calling here looking for me to host it, for sure .
Plenty of land like that in my photo , and some worse . The subsoil wouldn't have soakage . I have land with deeper soil obviously.

I don't know where in particular who mean with the Ploughing ? Anna May wont be calling here looking for me to host it, for sure .
Plenty of land like that in my photo , and some worse . The subsoil wouldn't have soakage . I have land with deeper soil obviously.

Jf wouldn't be too far from me. The best way to describe it would be that I can't think of anyone local that has a combine but I know a few that have there own turf hoppers

Jf wouldn't be too far from me. The best way to describe it would be that I can't think of anyone local that has a combine but I know a few that have there own turf hoppers

That paddock I put the picture up of is at other side of a 5 acre field + a very narrow boreen , from the corner of your out farm so it wouldn't be far at all :rolleyes2:

A very to the point description.
I sowed barley in that once , and fodder beet . Could be 25 years ago now though.
There was tillage on every farm around here , but over the last 20 years , all have stopped bothering with it . 2 ton crops of barley haven't stacked up for a long time .

Ha ha. Everyone around us has a Mf35 or 135 with double wheels. One lad with particularly wet ground has triples on his. Doubles or triples keep you upright on the hills and afloat in the valleys.

Back