The youth of today, grumpy old men and nice women.

Was driving up the road last night. There was an artic in the hard shoulder. As I was passing it the driver rolled out from under the trailer onto the road, it was dark, I had to swerve to avoid him. Got an awful fright.
Pet hate of mine last few years winter work jackets especially and no or very little reflective straps and usually dark colours I try and get mostly some sort of hi vis now.

Years ago two lads were coming home from a night out. One lad had the jeep and dropped his friend off and headed home. Halfways home he got a phonecall from yourman saying you may comeback you backed into me. Both had a couple of pints and when your man got out he pulled up for a piss and the other lad backed the jeep into him . He was allright after😃

Any takers amongst the youth on here,I spotted above over a month ago now on donedeal, he must have got a client for the post I assume as it wasn't refreshed till now. €20 a hour rate was on ad previously. Not bad for money for sitting on ones bottom.

Any takers amongst the youth on here,I spotted above over a month ago now on donedeal, he must have got a client for the post I assume as it wasn't refreshed till now. €20 a hour rate was on ad previously. Not bad for money for sitting on ones bottom.
if i was any closer and had the safe pass, then probably would. 20/hr is insanely good compared to what i get doing my few days here and there

Jesus great money is right. I'd go for it if I hadn't the leaving cert to finish. Seems to be a desperate shortage of drivers on sites. Have a cousin from Wexford asking me to go working in Lexlip on a tractor, have a teacher in school as well and then i have yourman who I do the odd bit of work for at the minute. I stick with him because he can be flexible enough with the hours and he's a good man to call on for favours but I wouldn't be on anywhere near that. I've friends who are doing plastering and they're only making 110 a day.

Jesus great money is right. I'd go for it if I hadn't the leaving cert to finish. Seems to be a desperate shortage of drivers on sites. Have a cousin from Wexford asking me to go working in Lexlip on a tractor, have a teacher in school as well and then i have yourman who I do the odd bit of work for at the minute. I stick with him because he can be flexible enough with the hours and he's a good man to call on for favours but I wouldn't be on anywhere near that. I've friends who are doing plastering and they're only making 110 a day.
They must be shite plasterers

It's good money alright lads for driving a tractor, but that's gross pay quoted in earlier ad i assume. Starting pay on any machine on a cif site would be €18 a hour gross,obviously most machines with the exception of a tractor require a cscs ticket & that is costly. So the tractor has that advantage.

Personally I would be 3 hours travel a day from Dublin, so when you factor that in, you'd be at nothing,unless maybe a van was traveling from your greater area & saved some costs that way.

Is that on the Intel site meath?

Is that on the Intel site meath?
yeah. I think it's a sinnot or a Murphy he's working for from Wexford who has a few machines hired in on the site. Puts the cousin and a few other workers in accommodation and all. think its 16 euro an hour he's offering.

It's good money alright lads for driving a tractor, but that's gross pay quoted in earlier ad i assume. Starting pay on any machine on a cif site would be €18 a hour gross,obviously most machines with the exception of a tractor require a cscs ticket & that is costly. So the tractor has that advantage.

Personally I would be 3 hours travel a day from Dublin, so when you factor that in, you'd be at nothing,unless maybe a van was traveling from your greater area & saved some costs that way.
Lads around here leaving here just before 5 to be in Dublin shortly after 7.
Most have a van , diesel and toll money provided or a few will travel together.our whats app group normal starts beeping from 5.30 am on with "SV " and " hair dryer " alerts coming in with the usual rad and customs abit later on

Go again, 2.50 to 2.80 around here now some joke
Sorry to drag up a thread/post from quite a few months ago but since I saw some knowledgeable posts on this topic and I'm struggling for information on how pricing is now. Currently doing a self build house in the midlands and will be ready for blocklaying in about 2 months time. House is 2900 sq ft and I've got a price of 25k to blocklay - I'm told by the block layer that its spec'd quite highly which is adding extra work along with large cavity etc which is pushing up the price. I have asked numerous other block layers but none so far will even look at the plans they are so busy and say come back in 6 months or more so I just want to try get a feel if the price I got is in anyway reasonable in the current climate for a house of this size?

Edit: for context the post I replied to is cost per block for blocklaying.

Sorry to drag up a thread/post from quite a few months ago but since I saw some knowledgeable posts on this topic and I'm struggling for information on how pricing is now. Currently doing a self build house in the midlands and will be ready for blocklaying in about 2 months time. House is 2900 sq ft and I've got a price of 25k to blocklay - I'm told by the block layer that its spec'd quite highly which is adding extra work along with large cavity etc which is pushing up the price. I have asked numerous other block layers but none so far will even look at the plans they are so busy and say come back in 6 months or more so I just want to try get a feel if the price I got is in anyway reasonable in the current climate for a house of this size?

Edit: for context the post I replied to is cost per block for blocklaying.
Not sure why the cavity size would make a difference. Blocks are blocks. Are you putting in a full fill cavity board aswell?

Not sure why the cavity size would make a difference. Blocks are blocks. Are you putting in a full fill cavity board aswell?
That was my thought too.

What's included in the price? Labour only?
I'm out of the loop since building mine.
But a lad was telling me yesterday that common bricks are £1/each to buy now now. Let alone blocks!

I went on day rates and bought all the materials myself.

Thanks for the responses - it's labour only I will be supplying all materials.

Cavity will be pumped so no board insulation. I wasn't sure at first why the cavity size would matter but talking to someone else they said its harder work and a bit slower reaching across with the blocks. Technically speaking I was told that if keeping the H&S rules it should be blocklayed from both sides but I don't believe the blocklayer plans this going by what he said though I am not sure - I guess that would involve extra work and more up and down etc

Blocks around here bought from a quarry directly are in or around the 75 to 85 cent a block incl VAT at the moment but due to go up soon.

Last edited:
I would guess at that size of house, depending very much on the design that there could be in around 8000 blocks and at 3e a block is 24k. Steel shouldn't be much issue for then really as it's a case of put it in and full around it. Rates are generally a bit cheaper when they don't have to put in the insulation while building. I don't know what rates are up there but theres no way I would be willing to give e3 a block anyway. I would be think more so 2 to 2.20 a block. A load of blocks is going up another 90 at the end of April

I would guess at that size of house, depending very much on the design that there could be in around 8000 blocks and at 3e a block is 24k. Steel shouldn't be much issue for then really as it's a case of put it in and full around it. Rates are generally a bit cheaper when they don't have to put in the insulation while building. I don't know what rates are up there but theres no way I would be willing to give e3 a block anyway. I would be think more so 2 to 2.20 a block. A load of blocks is going up another 90 at the end of April
Thanks, I was assuming around 7000 or 8000 blocks in my own mind but then the block layer would be pricing though openings also presumably.

I feel the quote is on the high side but at this point we are probably willing to pay a bit over the odds (once we are not being totally ripped off) to secure someone to do the job as waiting 6 months+ for a blocklayer is just not feasible (that's assuming I even get a better price). The one thing is he is a good block layer with a very good reputation and he is very clear that he is pricing for everything there will be no "extras".

On the blocks themselves, yes I am hearing about increases up to 10% on concrete products coming but speaking to the quarries in the area they are telling me if I commit to buying the concrete for the foundations and the blocks that they will lock in block prices for me.

I'd be weary it's a case of I will put a stupid price on it and if I get the job great and if not I won't loose sleep over it kinda thing. How big is the cavity? Is it a 2 story? He pricing scaffolding too? Prices are nuts by the sounds of things. We built in 17 and got blocks for about 70c. I supplied everything cement, sand, water and gave the boys 9k for labour and some cash too for similar size house

Back