The youth of today, grumpy old men and nice women.

Any wonder there is a shortage,hassle from the minute you set off in the morning until u finish.never mind the cpc's and bad money. That's a problem here anyway
Spot on, sure its not worth your while at it anymore, they're crying out for drivers and lads to go hacking but no one will go back to them after the fierce back stabbing they got there around 10 years ago when the same company's looking for drivers went around cutting all the one man operations and pushing out lads that were hacking with cheap foreign labour, mainly Eastern Europeans who get their licence when they join the army. Problem is now all them lads are moving home as they have all the money they need saved up and now there's now one to replace them.

I'd it for a few years and I loved truck driving (8 wheelers) though I was mad to drive the artics but wouldn't bother with the crazy hours etc and I'm at a stage in life where I want to see the house I built and not live in a cab on the side of the road or get to know every choke n puke attentendent personally

I only found out last week, anyone can obtain a hgv licence through the education training boards here, you don't need to be in receipt of welfare payments.

Enquired about it today, 26 week course, Monday to Friday 9 to 4, 1 o'clock Friday's, artic licence, fork truck, pallet truck & hazardous goods licence, all have to be done if going this route.

Maybe others here know about above along time.all except the class c driver theory test & medical, I was told is free.

Might not suit many if working a day job

I know this thread started about the difficulties In sourcing staff, and young people not willing to work. I read Darragh McCullagh earlier in the week saying young lads now don't know how to hold a shovel.
Anyhow , the brothers run a small service business (7 people full-time at the minute) from the home farm here. Over the years they have trained apprentices . They also get asked to take students, transition year , etc, for work experience.
It's usually only for a week.
This lad arrived Monday morning 7am .They have an hours travel to the job site these days.
He's transition year, 17 years old, not from a farm but living in the country.
On the ball every morning 10 mile journey.
Here's his trusty steed, taxed and insured.
Got to admire enthusiasm.
20230202_143253.jpg

As part of the lcvp in the leaving cert we had work experience to do to. Done it with a plaster,.used to take a ford 5000 to the job.

I know this thread started about the difficulties In sourcing staff, and young people not willing to work. I read Darragh McCullagh earlier in the week saying young lads now don't know how to hold a shovel.
Anyhow , the brothers run a small service business (7 people full-time at the minute) from the home farm here. Over the years they have trained apprentices . They also get asked to take students, transition year , etc, for work experience.
This lad arrived Monday morning 7am .They have an hours travel to the job site these days.
View attachment 118278
He will go very far fair play to him

View attachment 118278
Tis a noble steed he's travelling on. A bit nicer than my one. Good to see I'm not the only one who used his old Massey as a car for a while. Used to take me 50 minutes to get to where I was working with my Uncle during the Covid summer there in 2020. Would leave the home around 6 and make my way down to him to help set up at 10 to 7. It was no quicker than a bike but it got you there with a lot you there with slightly more comfort and ease than a bike. You may give him a bit of work for the 165. I'd say it would make his day.

View attachment 118278
I heard this familiar noise coming up the lane this evening as I was finishing milking, I thought it was one of my own.
Turns out, it was a young lad looking for work with the brothers.
I mean talk about making a "first Impression"
Just sign here and here your hired 😁🤣
Sorry if the pictures are like ones from a dodgy dumb deal add. "No dreamers"
20240304_193428.jpg

I heard this familiar noise coming up the lane this evening as I was finishing milking, I thought it was one of my own.
Turns out, it was a young lad looking for work with the brothers.
I mean talk about making a "first Impression"
Just sign here and here your hired 😁🤣
Sorry if the pictures are like ones from a dodgy dumb deal add. "No dreamers"
View attachment 134602
@jd-baz doing the milk round?

I was chatting to a friend this eve from college who is home from Canada for a short while we were on about what everyone is doing now etc, and we concluded that probably 75% of people we were friends with in college from various different courses are now abroad. We graduated in 2018 and no-one went anywhere until probably late 2022 but there is a huge number gone now. We were talking about what we were doing ourselfs now and he said how my life has been quite boring compared to others.

I’m sort of annoyed over it since. I’m happy With what I’m at I work a fairly normal job and then do the hire and a bit of farming but the mindset now is that you have to go off and travel for a few years. I do see a lot of older members here recommending going off and seeing the world and this kind of thing but would you really regret it if you don’t. The same people my age are complaining that you can’t build or buy a house here because things are too dear but aren’t happy unless they get to do Bali and Dubai for a month or 2 away from Australia. I don’t know what I’m trying to achieve by posting this as I can’t go anywhere anyway and have no interest in doing so I suppose I’m just wondering was there always the same attitude or is this a new thing.

Sounds like some traditional Irish begrudgery. I'm guessing you had the new car with you?
Couple of fellas at work are just qualified and have the plane tickets booked. One of them was working with me, bitching and moaning about how he couldn't buy a site or a house and how lucky I was to have land at home. He reckons he'll head out to the mines with 2 other lads, The 3 of them are allergic to work but they're going out doing 3 week swings. They'll get some shock

If you want to travel and have the means, why not? I didn’t but I don’t regret it. I’ve done short trips here and there and met some interesting people. What I’ve realised is most places are the same and most people want similar things. We were lucky to find a really nice place here to buy. Nice area, great people and great views.

Its expensive to do a lot of things here, particularly when it comes to property. The government have had a hand in that but some of it would be out of their control. I’d like to see them tackle the issues they can for the benefit of the bigger picture. No point I’m driving the future out of the country.

If you want to travel and have the means, why not? I didn’t but I don’t regret it. I’ve done short trips here and there and met some interesting people. What I’ve realised is most places are the same and most people want similar things. We were lucky to find a really nice place here to buy. Nice area, great people and great views.

Its expensive to do a lot of things here, particularly when it comes to property. The government have had a hand in that but some of it would be out of their control. I’d like to see them tackle the issues they can for the benefit of the bigger picture. No point I’m driving the future out of the country.
No real interest in making housing more affordable in this country, if the government really wanted to they could reduce the tax take on housing in the morning, house prices are high because the government want them high to protect the banks balance sheets and deal with celtic tiger negative equity.

No real interest in making housing more affordable in this country, if the government really wanted to they could reduce the tax take on housing in the morning, house prices are high because the government want them high to protect the banks balance sheets and deal with celtic tiger negative equity.
I agree. They have fiddled enough in the rental market to see that plainly.

Dare I say that we as a country need a longer term vision than the current electoral cycle?

Back