What are you up to in the workshop?

Does a 36 need bored and liners put in dp?

Ideally , that's the best way .
You could chance just boring the block out , and put say 30 thou oversize pistons in it.

I don't know that S. I would say it probably will need to be bored out and liners put in. I think @nashmach had to do a job on the engine in theirs before. He might know a bit more then I do.

You could do a job like you did on the 168,
Hone out the bores , fit a set of piston rings , grind the valves , and if you wanted to splash the cash , a set of shell bearings.
A bit of a false economy to do that on the old girl , after it giving you 40 years of faithful service.

If and when we get to it lads I think we'll give it the full works on the rebuild. As jf said we have it long enough at this stage and it won'e ever be sold by us. I got away with the bare bones of a rebuild on the 168 because the cross hatching marks were still on the liners and a rub of a honer was plenty good on them. The original pistons were likewise in good order which was some surprise to the engine rebuilder who I showed them to and they went back in with new rings. I did put new shell bearings in which I regretted after as the original ones were perfect. It got the head fully rebuilt alright as the valves and valve guides were in a bad way. It has around 2k hours done since the semi rebuild and no bother on it at all.

I don't know that S. I would say it probably will need to be bored out and liners put in. I think @nashmach had to do a job on the engine in theirs before. He might know a bit more then I do.

You are spot on DP, our one was bored and lined. Powers in Ferns did it.

3500 hours later and if you do too much idling with her she's still susceptible to glazing though.

If and when we get to it lads I think we'll give it the full works on the rebuild. As jf said we have it long enough at this stage and it won'e ever be sold by us. I got away with the bare bones of a rebuild on the 168 because the cross hatching marks were still on the liners and a rub of a honer was plenty good on them. The original pistons were likewise in good order which was some surprise to the engine rebuilder who I showed them to and they went back in with new rings. I did put new shell bearings in which I regretted after as the original ones were perfect. It got the head fully rebuilt alright as the valves and valve guides were in a bad way. It has around 2k hours done since the semi rebuild and no bother on it at all.

If you intend to keep it would a new short motor or a new complete engine be an option.
Ford were always keen on price .
We bought a 46 back in the day. When we had it a few years it died.
When we ripped it , the previous owner had done that boring and dry liners .
put a complete new engine in and it was a great job.
Done the same for a neighbour with a 66 . He still has it and earning its keep.

If you intend to keep it would a new short motor or a new complete engine be an option.

Dad did similar here with the 3000 and it has a 4610 engine for nearly 30 years now.

However, Ford stopped producing these engines a few years back, around the same time as the Powerstar engines stopped I think.

You can get short blocks though from either Vapormatic.

It would be the right order. I suppose it will depend on how bad the engine and head look whenever we get it taken apart. If it looks ok I would say we'll probably try rebuild the original engine just to keep as much of the original tractor as we can.

Got rid of the matbro only to be replaced by a dumper with a seized engine, the guy uses it for fencing with a post banger on the front. Why is nothing ever straight forward.....................
IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1346.JPG
The eagle eyed amongst you will notice a slight problem with the replacement engine.............
IMG_1356.JPG
Had to cut the back out and move the engine mounting holes backwards to take the 3 cylinder.
IMG_1357.JPG
It has fitted in without hacking anything else about though, just!!
IMG_1358.JPG

Got rid of the matbro only to be replaced by a dumper with a seized engine, the guy uses it for fencing with a post banger on the front. Why is nothing ever straight forward.....................
View attachment 61251 View attachment 61252
The eagle eyed amongst you will notice a slight problem with the replacement engine.............
View attachment 61253
Had to cut the back out and move the engine mounting holes backwards to take the 3 cylinder.
View attachment 61254
It has fitted in without hacking anything else about though, just!!
View attachment 61255
That's a fair transplant, was the old one a "HA" series Lister? Lucky the Deutz is also air cooled, no room in front for a rad now!

That's a fair transplant, was the old one a "HA" series Lister? Lucky the Deutz is also air cooled, no room in front for a rad now!
I believe it is yes. That's the thing the replacement is a lister/petter, apparently one of the last built. I didn't know they done one like that with a cooling fan either!

Some recycling during the last week finally got finished today, an old table got modified into a generator shelter. A few odd bits of cladding & corrugated iron finally found a use & an old unused lawnmower is now missing two wheels.

These pics are before the cladding & corrugated iron got a wash to remove 20+ years of gathering dust :laugh:

DSC_0592.JPG

DSC_0597.JPG

DSC_0598.JPG

Back