Which Winter Wheat Variety for 2018?

Which WInter Wheat variety will you plant for 2018?

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Cellule (new)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Costello

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Conros (new limited availability)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JB Diego

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Lili

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lumos

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rockefeller

• Bennington

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Garrus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This will surely weaken my bargaining power when I go to hammer out a deal for seed when the man I'm buying it from knows what I want....:scratchhead:

And how in the name of god is torp new??? It's been consistently unpredictable around here for 3/4 years??

This will surely weaken my bargaining power when I go to hammer out a deal for seed when the man I'm buying it from knows what I want....:scratchhead:

he'll probably know when you ask. Nobody can see who votes for what, I'd never be able to rig the voting if they could! :)

What's this cellule stuff?

it's a very early ripening French variety, similar to Soissons. 7 for Septoria, v good straw, so resistant to sprouting that I'm surprised it even germinates when planted. Brought in a bit for a few lads. Sold out now. Will put some in the ground to produce more for next year.

No problem, and i bet you just thought I was being my normal troll self

you? Never!!!! I cant see who votes for what either. I'm genuinely just interested to see what people are thinking.
I should be doing ceresl video interviews I guess, its obviously the way to go.
fancy doing one? An outside broadcast from the Royal county.....

Whatever my crop adviser tells me, usually some new variety that I'm willing to take a chance on !!!!!
Other than that it'll be reliable jb

I have ordered Costello and Lumos . Which variety should I sow after the Beans and which variety after the winter oats and when should I sow them ?. The ground after the oats has had 315Kg/Ha of 0-10-20 broadcast on the min tilled chopped straw ground .

Here is the Winter Wheat poll folks.

I would like to add a couple of more varieties but it is at its limit of choices allowed.

It would be great if people could vote their choices.

@Bog Man

You enquired about which rotational slot you should choose for the Costello and Lumos that you intend to plant.

You can happily sow either after your beans or oats. In terms of when to sow, both perform well in early (September) sown trials but given where we are with the pressure on Septoria control, I would advise waiting till the first week of October.

Both have excellent straw strength and resistance to sprouting.

I added Conros to the poll. There is very little known about it amongst the trade as yet as it wont be added to the Recommended List till autumn 2018.

Its a very high yielding variety from KWS. Excellent disease resistance (including Septoria at a strong 6 out of 9).

Very good straw strength and a resistance to sprouting which is about on a par with Costello..........top end.

We have a little bit of it to scatter about the place so there should be some available if you ask your merchant.

Was there any update after the season gone as to the septoria resistance issue? I can't remember seeing anything about it.

Haven't heard anything official coming out of the research bodies. I do know that there were some fairly concerning levels of control being observed in the Carlow region. Time will tell I guess.

Haven't heard anything official coming out of the research bodies. I do know that there were some fairly concerning levels of control being observed in the Carlow region. Time will tell I guess.
A neighbour had JB that yielded approx. 2.5T/acre and Rockefeller that did north of 5T/acre, he believes it was Septoria.

A neighbour had JB that yielded approx. 2.5T/acre and Rockefeller that did north of 5T/acre, he believes it was Septoria.

That's interesting. I noticed more this year than ever before that spray timing for Septoria control was crucial (down here anyway). If you were any bit out in timing, you were dead.
I mentioned Cellule above. We brought in a bit for a few people. Not much as its still early days in terms of official trialing. I have tested it over two years in my own Septoria city trials.
Its a strange one....

It ripens about 7-10 days ahead of most other varieties on the market or in trials. For example, it will be flowering when other varieties are only booting. Therefore in trials, it will receive all its sprays at completely the wrong timings (except for the weed spray). Yet, it has beaten the controls in my trials (Avatar & Diego) two years running and has received a Septoria score of 7/9 when the control varieties are only 4 or 5 out of 9. It wont lodge easily, it appears to be even more resistant to sprouting than the market leader in sprouting - Costello. It is very good on Yellow Rust and also Fusarium. It will pick up a bit of Mildew but not serious.

In official trials, despite doing really well in my trials, it yielded 7% behind Avatar and Diego. This must be partly down to the fact that it will be very over ripe by the time it is harvested. It has a high KPH, its a milling type wheat.

Early days for the variety but it looks interesting from the point of view of something really robust that will get the wheat harvest started early. We have sold out the bit we brought in to the country and will be propagating a larger quantity for autumn 2018. I'd rather get another years trials under its belt before getting too bullish on it.

Locally I taught that the Rockefeller ended up no cleaner than the others really, I'll be interested to see what rating the dept give it on the recommend list. That is a serious yield difference to put down to septoria. Was it in a 3 spray well timed programme?
You would expect those yields in a high pressure untreated site

Back