winter barley 2018

Any potential replacement treatment for Deter? Not saying it's essential but the majority of winter barley planted up this way is Deter treated.

We had the head seed treatment guy from Bayer at our open day. He said to me that they have replacements down the line but none that are as effective as Deter. Obviously there are other companies out there too.

There are varieties coming that are resistant to BYDV, this would be a better solution than anything in a can.

Anyone ventured out with a plough yet? usually sow the first week October, only at it part time, hard to get dry weekends this year!

Anyone ventured out with a plough yet? usually sow the first week October, only at it part time, hard to get dry weekends this year!
Not a hope but i passed a large block of ground belong to the big horsey farmers and the barley was well up, looked near 2 leaf stage.

most of ours still has beans growing on it. Will hold my nerve as long as I can in October. Preferably the middle of the month. That sowing date for winter cereals always does better than earlier stuff down here.

Finished winter ploughing on Monday, had the dung spread on it since late August and it's dry land. Or it was till I walked across it today, hard to believe I was rising dust there a few days prior. Aiming to sow mid October but the forecast will call the shots on that one.
MF30

I've most of the wb ground sprayed off as of this evening. Land earlier in the week was in good order for traveling but this evening it was only just about fit enough for driving on. That rain on Wednesday did a right number. I haven't one sod turned over yet this year. I was hoping to do some next week but tonights forecast makes that look doubtful.

I've most of the wb ground sprayed off as of this evening. Land earlier in the week was in good order for traveling but this evening it was only just about fit enough for driving on. That rain on Wednesday did a right number. I haven't one sod turned over yet this year. I was hoping to do some next week but tonights forecast makes that look doubtful.
Forecast is shite really. Monday looks to be the only drying day after that it's mainly dry Sunday and Tuesday but with plenty of chance for misery. Wednesday... guaranteed misery. Everyone in mass tomorrow morning and start thinking about those sacrifices @Tippcon was suggesting

In the absence of IPU what herbicide option are lads going with this year? We generally went with good old DFF/IPU and we are in the lookout for a cost effective broad spectrum option to replace. There's lots of choice out there I know. From a workload perspective post-emergence would suit best.

I might make a start on sowing either tomorrow evening or Thursday. Depends on how I get on ploughing the bit at home here and of coarse mother nature. Land has dried well since Sunday but one downpour and it's fecked again. As regards spray I used flight last year and I was quiet happy with it. Probably use it again this time. The only fault I'd have is it's horrible shite to wash out of the sprayer and the clear pipe up front showing the level of spray in the tank is still stained yellow.

Was going to level in furrows etc today in preparation for tilling, fields looked lovely but at bottom of hills they were still damp. Said I'd leave it till tomorrow, don't want to create muck but how long can we wait before the next break in weather arrives. Great drying out last few days though, haven't seen any activity sowing locally yet bar one.
MF30

Was going to level in furrows etc today in preparation for tilling, fields looked lovely but at bottom of hills they were still damp. Said I'd leave it till tomorrow, don't want to create muck but how long can we wait before the next break in weather arrives. Great drying out last few days though, haven't seen any activity sowing locally yet bar one.
MF30
I think it's still early and will not sow until next week at the earliest. I'm still at the roundup.,,,,

Back