Winter Wheat 2018

Anyone else's wheat looking short this year? It's already gotten CCC and Moddus and the flag leaf is just about fully out. Was going to go again with Medax Max as there's 190 units on it but might chance it now. Not even up to my knee.

My Lumos is very short as well. It got CCC and Medax max. Flag leaf only appearing now and crop only up to top of wellies, especially in more exposed areas of the field. It’s on170 units but I’ll plan to bring it up to 190 soon.

My wheat is shortish too (a lot better than having a flat crop).

My reasoning for it is as follows:

Firstly, a lot of wheat was November sown which would have put on less growth in the autumn.

Secondly and to my mind importantly is that because the weather was so bad in the early spring, a lot of CCC went on later than usual.
When CCC is normally applied, the crop is only tillering and it gives a nice evening effect to the tillers. Such a timing will have very little shortening effect as the crop isn't at the stage where it is creating nodes and internodes (the pieces of stem between the nodes).
This year however, a lot of wheat crops (and barley) was gone into stem extension by the time sprayers could get into fields. The CCC went on and it had more of a shortening effect than usual because the nodes and internodes were at a stage where they would be influenced.

I remember at the time having some quite green and leafy wheat, in my gut I was hoping that the CCC would have a shortening effect due to the later timing.

The other side to the later application of the CCC is that you wont get the nice evening effect on the tillers which will result in small tillers in the crop (this is noticeable this year too).

That's my view on it anyway!

Later sown crops may also have produced one less node and one less leaf than normal meaning they look less bulky, have had crops like these before and they yielded as well as any wheat here.

WW here is near knee height and has thickened up hugely since this nice warm spell arrived. Flag leaf is well on the way to. I haven't applied any more shortener to the wheat and the agronomist hasn't recommended any either. @laoisfarmer wheat next door has come on an unbelievable amount to. Must be the good land eh Garry :tt2:.

We have wheat sown from October 6th to December 1st with bits and pieces inbetween. The October crops are a standard height while anything after that is shorter but I expect that to grow. The stuff drilled after beet on December 1st looks best at the moment. I'm optimistic about wheat.

@CORK.
Have you any Sophie ww on trial?

Was walking crops this morning to see if there’s any hail damage from thunderstorms. One field is half Cellule and half Sophie. After a difficult winter and spring Cellule is looking a picture, but Sophie is far better. Both are spotless. No growth regulator used and Sophie is about 8” shorter.
Sophie has 5 grains across the head with Cellule having 4. (Flowering finished with a fortnight)
Can’t post a pic...

Mine is shortish too.

My reas
@CORK.
Have you any Sophie ww on trial?

Was walking crops this morning to see if there’s any hail damage from thunderstorms. One field is half Cellule and half Sophie. After a difficult winter and spring Cellule is looking a picture, but Sophie is far better. Both are spotless. No growth regulator used and Sophie is about 8” shorter.
Sophie has 5 grains across the head with Cellule having 4. (Flowering finished with a fortnight)
Can’t post a pic...

Not that I know of unless its there under a breeders code.

Is it a very new variety? I can't find a record of that spelling in the EU database of varieties. Do you know who the breeder is?

Is it a very new variety? I can't find a record of that spelling in the EU database of varieties. Do you know who the breeder is?
New variety last year.
http://www.fiches.arvalis-infos.fr/...es.php?mode=fv&id_espece=512&id_variete=19516

Compare with Cellule...
http://www.fiches.arvalis-infos.fr/...tes.php?id_espece=512&mode=fv&id_variete=5051

Oïdium = mildew.
Rouille = rust.
Piétin verse = eyespot.
You’ll figure out the rest...

Sophie has a much bigger grain than Cellule but bushel would be a bit lower.

New variety last year.
http://www.fiches.arvalis-infos.fr/...es.php?mode=fv&id_espece=512&id_variete=19516

Compare with Cellule...
http://www.fiches.arvalis-infos.fr/...tes.php?id_espece=512&mode=fv&id_variete=5051

Oïdium = mildew.
Rouille = rust.
Piétin verse = eyespot.
You’ll figure out the rest...

Sophie has a much bigger grain than Cellule but bushel would be a bit lower.

Thanks, strange I couldn’t find it in the usual place.

We are the agent for the breeder ( Caussade). I test their varieties every year here, they’re usually too weak in terms of lodging and Septoria but I’ll enquire about this one. Who knows, I might have it here this year (I have some coded ones).

Their forage maize varieties are quite successful here.

Thanks, strange I couldn’t find it in the usual place.

We are the agent for the breeder ( Caussade). I test their varieties every year here, they’re usually too weak in terms of lodging and Septoria but I’ll enquire about this one. Who knows, I might have it here this year (I have some coded ones).

Their forage maize varieties are quite successful here.

Used quite a bit of their maize variety Stromboli this year in the forage slot. Hope it’s a good one.

WW here is near knee height and has thickened up hugely since this nice warm spell arrived. Flag leaf is well on the way to. I haven't applied any more shortener to the wheat and the agronomist hasn't recommended any either. @laoisfarmer wheat next door has come on an unbelievable amount to. Must be the good land eh Garry :tt2:.
Has improved a lot , the bag and lots of it. Got the spray timing spot on which is has it very clean. Being after oilseed rape would have a big effect also.

Septoria pressure is insane down here this year.

Despite November sowing, many crops will be lucky to hold onto 3 green leaves.

A result of the shocking wet spring methinks

Septoria pressure is insane down here this year.

Despite November sowing, many crops will be lucky to hold onto 3 green leaves.

A result of the shocking wet spring methinks
That's a surprise to me, while there was disease down low in the crop I thought the dry May prevented infection spreading up the plant as it grew. We are getting away somewhat easier up this way with a relatively easy septoria year.

Back