Winter Wheat 2019

Pacifica or alisdar?
Any opinions please?
Broadway Star the last few years here . Got fed up waiting for warm weather to spray Pacifica and it’s stunting of the crop.
Was at a talk during the winter and the speaker said to spray Pacifica early as long as there was not a big variation in day and night temperatures.

Wild oats & weeds
Alister is good all rounder, but a bit weak on poppy, cleaver and fumitory.
Pacifica plus is very good on grass weeds and does some broad leaf weeds, but not good enough without another BLW killer.
Broadway Star is a good all rounder, but very poor on AMG, annual meadow grass.
If it was me I would go with Alister if cleavers and fumitory are not bad but AMG is, and go with Broadway star if AMG isn't bad but cleavers or fumitory are.

Alister is good all rounder, but a bit weak on poppy, cleaver and fumitory.
Pacifica plus is very good on grass weeds and does some broad leaf weeds, but not good enough without another BLW killer.
Broadway Star is a good all rounder, but very poor on AMG, annual meadow grass.
If it was me I would go with Alister if cleavers and fumitory are not bad but AMG is, and go with Broadway star if AMG isn't bad but cleavers or fumitory are.
The eagle in the alister flex gives it a good kick on cleavers.
I taught broadway star was very poor on fumitory and you had to add an SU such as cameo for them?
Pacifica at 250 grams with bio power and an SU is decent too.

The eagle in the alister flex gives it a good kick on cleavers.
I taught broadway star was very poor on fumitory and you had to add an SU such as cameo for them?
Pacifica at 250 grams with bio power and an SU is decent too.
I didn't realise Broadway star was poor on fumitory, but haven't used it much.
I don't think there is any Eagle (Amidosulfuron) in Alister flex.
Pacifica and another SU is putting a lot trust and pressure on the SU mode of action, but could be a good option.

We have a fair bit of fumitory here and find Broadway star works well on it. With the significant increase in the price of fluroxypyr, Broadway star looks like value if you have a cleaver problem and no amg.

Second crop Cellule that got a little thinned by crows.

It’s still throwing out tillers as I hoped it would.
I gave it about 30 units of N a fortnight ago to encourage tillering and it’ll get ccc when the weather gets kinder. This is where wheat’s hardiness and ability to compensate scores.

Some of this land is a bit shaley and we used to struggle a bit to get adequate plant numbers with winter barley over the years (generally don’t spring crop this land).

Last year we moved to winter wheat on the land for the first time ever as I hoped that it might be better able to make up for the thinner plant stands should they occur.
Winter barley seemed to max out at 4tn here over the years (even after break crops), the 1st crop wheat last year averaged 4.35tn despite obvious drought (November sown) so I think the theory may have worked.

BAC89C3F-412D-4203-8565-38653874CCF3.jpeg

Looking for advice on what to do with this. The crows were in it in their thousands after it was sowed. About a 1/3 of the field is good and the rest is middling to very thin. I'm wondering if before I start putting out expensive sprays and fert would I be better off harrowing that into the ground and going with sb?
20190319_143519.jpg

Looking for advice on what to do with this. The crows were in it in their thousands after it was sowed. About a 1/3 of the field is good and the rest is middling to very thin. I'm wondering if before I start putting out expensive sprays and fert would I be better off harrowing that into the ground and going with sb?
View attachment 64117
Fertiliser and CeCeCe
Never saw resowing leaving anymore money than sticking with a thin crop.

Thanks lads. It'll get fert today. When would I want to go with the CeCeCe?. Would a bit of moddus be any benefit as well?.

Thanks lads. It'll get fert today. When would I want to go with the CeCeCe?. Would a bit of moddus be any benefit as well?.
I would go ASAP with CeCeCe at about 1L/ha and come back in 10 days or a fortnight with the same.
No moddus for me on thin crops.
I would add Combitop, Mancozin and a wetter, (arma or kantor) I would also add Bravo the second run.
I might also do weeds on the second run but not with the trace elements.

View attachment 64117
My advice is to go with Ceraide .... Last February.
CCC at a Low rate And then drip feed nitrogen on to it every few weeks. Do not spend huge amounts on fungicides . Watch out for weeds taking advantage of the thin crop .
Adjust your spending to the circumstances.

I’d be the exact opposite and take it out. Impossible to half grow a field of wheat, spend big or not at all. Any time I attempted to nurse along think wheat I was sorry I didint pull it out. How many plants per sq meter?
Sitting up on the tractor today it doesn't look altogether as bad as I thought walking it. It is plain to be seen where the crows were landing in it but I think it's worth trying out CeCeCe on it and see how it goes. I'll keep this updated or I might start a thread on it and see how it goes throughout the year.

Put 60 units Sul Can on the Wheat . The Costello looked to be needing the Nitrogen more than the Lumos. It also got Broadway Star and I think 1L CCC .

Sitting up on the tractor today it doesn't look altogether as bad as I thought walking it. It is plain to be seen where the crows were landing in it but I think it's worth trying out CeCeCe on it and see how it goes. I'll keep this updated or I might start a thread on it and see how it goes throughout the year.
Is there a fertility issue at play aswell? From your photo but it was not overly clear the plants looked a bit worse for wear

Fair play for sharing anyway DP, it's easy just to share the good experiences on here.

Did you spread dung on that before ploughing or something, looks like an awful lot of scraw around? Maybe led to more crows too :undecided:

Fair play for sharing anyway DP, it's easy just to share the good experiences on here.

Did you spread dung on that before ploughing or something, looks like an awful lot of scraw around? Maybe led to more crows too :undecided:
As blackwaterboy has noticed it is a hungry piece of ground. I coated it in fym to the extent the tractor was slipping pulling the plough. Some straw is on top as you've seen. I didn't sample the soil. I don't need to to know it's poor. It's at the bottom of the farm and was neglected for years. Bit of 18 6 12 is all it would have got.

Back