Winter Wheat 2019

The thin winter wheat got 407 kg/ha of 10/11.5/21.5 today and also got 1l ccc with some kantor and uplift . Only conclusion to it being thin is slugs after the wosr. It’s also a bit thinner in one spot after getting stuck , got held with the bredal this morning but was able to back out but got to brave with the sprayer and the tractor got held.... there’s tracks but the crop is fed now which imo is nearly more important. It’s was very unusual that where is normally dry was wet and the few spots that are wet were dry and hardly marked the ground, conclusion is that the wet spots have shores which are working and the rest of the field hasn’t soaked fully since all the rain last Saturday.

We have 25ac of this new wheat KWS Firefly sown for seed. It’s down to 24ac now due to wet areas that drowned.

It’s some yoke to tiller. No N or CCC yet and it’s tillering like hybrid rye!!

Once it soaks in a weeks time, I’ll whitewash the field with fertilizer and give it a shot of CCC to even out the tillers.

3646F5CE-6DF4-4DBB-9BE5-67F540AC54FF.jpeg

Had a look at the wheat plots this evening. Got a fright with how much Septoria is present.

Sown 10th October. First I looked in the Cellule and found Septoria (I was surprised) albeit on lower leaves - I was expecting virtually none.
Then I looked through the other varieties and they were much much worse.

I didn’t dissect any of the other varieties but the 3rd last leaf is out on the Cellule.

We would normally have high pressure here but this is as bad as I’ve seen.

Had a look at the wheat plots this evening. Got a fright with how much Septoria is present.

Sown 10th October. First I looked in the Cellule and found Septoria (I was surprised) albeit on lower leaves - I was expecting virtually none.

I didn’t dissect any of the other varieties but the 3rd last leaf is out on the Cellule.

Any pics

What’s the firefly like John?

IMG_6966.jpg All our winter crops except one small (wet) field of wheat got an insecticide during the first week of January. I was dubious enough whether it would have any effect but went at it anyhow for peace of mind. Based on the amount of BYVD in the untreated field I'm very glad we did. Certainly restored my faith in the efficacy of pyrethroids.

The Firefly is starting to stretch now. Catching up with earlier crops in terms of leaf emergence despite being sown at the end of October.

Very clean in terms of Septoria as I hoped it would be. 3rd last leaf 80% emerged. I’ll wait till it’s completely open before giving it a T1.

Would have mighty potential if 2 acres weren’t missing due to drowning. Didn’t take pics of the bad area as it only annoys me :undecided:

06580E40-91CA-4C58-8389-AAB5B7CB88C5.jpeg D0F10574-C33A-45FC-A944-EA88C8265090.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
T1 of Adexar + Bravo going on to the wheat plots this evening. Too late for some varieties and ideal for others, it’s a compromise.

6 different crop types sprayed today and 3 fertilised, plus tray tested a fertiliser and put row crops on the tractor.
Up to date again.

28A12305-535B-4502-889C-BC374D262277.jpeg 328494FD-6B99-4DBF-BF78-D07547BC9637.jpeg FDADCB18-2D27-4136-A106-1FD690ABA0C7.jpeg

Sprayed some of mine today. Bennington after beans got adaxar with yellow rust in mind and costello after oats got ascara possibly to do a bit on eyespot all plus bravo. Second last leaf half out on the bennington and just peeping on the costello

As a grower said to me the other day, crops look well but there’s always one plonker of a crop that spoils the show.

This is our one this year. Firefly wheat here after beans. A couple of acres out of 24 wiped out in November.

Would have great potential only for it.

Very clean disease wise and as stiff as a poker. 3rd last leaf should be out early next week.
16A0FEB3-0F6D-4034-BDD7-0F3EE812A3A7.jpeg 62874FA4-5AC9-4440-B303-F460BDD9FB33.jpeg

As a grower said to me the other day, crops look well but there’s always one plonker of a crop that spoils the show.

This is our one this year. Firefly wheat here after beans. A couple of acres out of 24 wiped out in November.

Very clean disease wise and as stiff as a poker. 3rd last leaf should be out early next week.
View attachment 65267 View attachment 65268
If you don’t cut that bit it doesn’t count

Could have done what Dad did and plant spring barley on the bare patches after the wet planting in 2012 and a lot of the wheat didn't come.

Could have done what Dad did and plant spring barley on the bare patches after the wet planting in 2012 and a lot of the wheat didn't come.

Would only be a pain for what we would gain. The wheat is a seed crop so admixture would be too risky.

Sprayed half of the wheat here last tuesday, Graham costello and bennington all had leaf three just unfolded so ideally could have waited a day or two but forecast was too bad so went ahead and sprayed them.
Garrus and JBD had leaf 3 only 30% out at the time so had to wait for it to emerge, sprayer those yesterday evening.
One field still left to spray.
All got fielder 1.0L/ha
Ascra 1.33 L/ha
Optimus 0.15L/ha
Mag s 1.0L/ha
Bennington also got 0.3 L/ha of winger to tidy up small bits of yellow rust

Back