Winter Wheat 2019

Haven't seen my wheat in a while and got a surprise earlier while checking the flagleaf emergence. Costello 3 weeks sprayed today with 1.8 adexar and ctl. The 4th last leaf is almost completely defoliated and bits of septoria comming onto the 3rd last leaf. This is after only 7 mm of rain so far in may in oakpark and April wasn't bad either. The sprays must be slipping further. Wouldnt want much wheat come a properly wet year.

Attachments

• 20190521_204427.jpg
    20190521_204427.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190521_204447.jpg
    20190521_204447.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 37
Bennington is much cleaner only got caught unawares with yellow rust. It got its t1 slightly early maybe leaf 3 80 % out to chase the rust

Attachments

• 20190521_204811.jpg
    20190521_204811.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190521_204825.jpg
    20190521_204825.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 26
Haven't seen my wheat in a while and got a surprise earlier while checking the flagleaf emergence. Costello 3 weeks sprayed today with 1.8 adexar and ctl. The 4th last leaf is almost completely defoliated and bits of septoria comming onto the 3rd last leaf. This is after only 7 mm of rain so far in may in oakpark and April wasn't bad either. The sprays must be slipping further. Wouldnt want much wheat come a properly wet year.
That sight is unfortunately very common down here also, bit of head scratching going on too.

When was it sown?did you notice much innoculum on lower leaves over the winter?

Question.
All my wheat is spotless from top to bottom and is finished flowering. Total spend so far is between €0 and €16 per hectare...happy out. However I now have mildew throughout. Morpholines are banned so what are my options?
I’m about 5-6 weeks from harvest.
Thanks.

What effect on yield does mildew have. Is there some nutrient deficiency triggering it .
No deficiencies that I’m aware of.
Anytime that mildew made it to the ear was always catastrophic imo. Winter crops have big potential this year so to be beaten so close to home by feckin mildew is a killer.

Most of my wheat passes the fag box test...
walk along the tramlines with a full box of fags, throw the box a couple of yards onto the wheat, the box should rest on top of the crop...voilà! The fag box test.
I’ll post a few pics if I remember.

Septoria pressure is very high in general. The trial plots sown on the 10th October will be very lucky to have 3 clean leaves.

This Firefly was sown on the last days of October. The variety is quite good on Septoria but the later sowing date has made a very big difference I think.

T1 was Adexar plus Bravo, T2 was Ascra plus Bravo and some Corbel as there was some mildew getting going. T3 will be Proline.

EFD06852-6DCD-4769-87C3-80887C666DDA.jpeg 406587B6-B41B-4A22-AD2E-BCE769434F37.jpeg

On Saturday I went down through Clonmel and on to Lismore and beyond Callan the Wheat had a severe tinge to it. Around ESB poles and unsprayed bits the leaves were gone. The Septoria pressure was unreal.

On Saturday I went down through Clonmel and on to Lismore and beyond Callan the Wheat had a severe tinge to it. Around ESB poles and unsprayed bits the leaves were gone. The Septoria pressure was unreal.

Could Yellow Rust be responsible in some of the unsprayed parts?

Septoria pressure is indeed unreal. Timing has had a vast effect as has sowing date. I think there’s no curativity left in current chemistry, unless a leaf is completely covered before it gets spores splashed on it then it’s in trouble.

Add some broken weather to uneven leaf emergence in a crop because of uneven tillers and you have a recipe for Septoria.

I'm no expert but given the weather over the past few weeks you'd think septoria pressure would not be that bad. :confused3:

Wouldnt we need a miracle if May had to come mild and damp and very humid.:no:

I'm no expert but given the weather over the past few weeks you'd think septoria pressure would not be that bad. :confused3:

Wouldnt we need a miracle if May had to come mild and damp and very humid.:no:
It’s hard to figure out but there is a savage amount of it around, varieties breaking down, Chems not working, bit mad really and the last few days and coming week are textbook conditions so thing could end up a right mess in a weeks time I fear

It’s hard to figure out but there is a savage amount of it around, varieties breaking down, Chems not working, bit mad really and the last few days and coming week are textbook conditions so thing could end up a right mess in a weeks time I fear
I have put Yachting Montly in the Wheelie bin after what I saw . Winter Barley looks Very good down there .

Back