workshop hints and tips

Don't let your hard of vision dad out to weld shed doors is a good tip!
Especially when he builds the second door on top of the first to save more measuring!

Its probably a silly question, but what is going on in the front cover pic?
Looks like they are running oil that has been scraped from a housing through some sort of filter paper, the container it's going into looks grubby enough, why you would want to do that I've no idea, just clean it out and use new lube. @Agri Power might have the answer.

product-image-1726-Shurflo-Pumps-Including-Filter-Shurflo-Pump.jpg Anyone got any experience of a pump like this? I'm looking for something that will suck water from approximately 3 meters below it. Would this do it?

A friend is looking to make a solar drinker for sheep. It would be sucking from a very clean shallow well. It has a pressure switch so could be connected straight to a small drinker. The idea would be to have a solar panel charging a battery and this pump connected to the battery to supply approx 100 litres per day.

Last edited:
View attachment 57272 Anyone got any experience of a pump like this? I'm looking for something that will suck water from approximately 3 meters below it. Would this do it?

A friend is looking to make a solar drinker for sheep. It would be sucking from a very clean shallow well. It has a pressure switch so could be connected straight to a small drinker. The idea would be to have a solar panel charging a battery and this pump connected to the battery to supply approx 100 litres per day.
No. 9 feet (2.7m) Spec sheet https://www.e-cerpadla.cz/info/shurflo/shurflo2095_204_412.pdf

Could you put the pump on a float and have it sitting on the water . Or get a cheap submersible pump and put it on a timer to pump for however long it needs to run to get the volume.

does anyone know how to stop a lucas ignition switch rotating when the key is turned?
There should be a nut on the outside to tighten to hold it in place. Or else a little slot or flat piece on the hole where the switch comes through so as it cannot move

There should be a nut on the outside to tighten to hold it in place. Or else a little slot or flat piece on the hole where the switch comes through so as it cannot move
I tightened the nut so much the threads stripped. I can retap it or try a new switch but i'll be back to square one. as i said the switch is turning in the hole but maybe i have the wrong model of switch. I guess I could drill another hole and file a flat on one side.

I tightened the nut so much the threads stripped. I can retap it or try a new switch but i'll be back to square one. as i said the switch is turning in the hole but maybe i have the wrong model of switch. I guess I could drill another hole and file a flat on one side.
How Do you file a flat on a internal hole:undecided:

The older key switches were a bigger diameter, welded a home made insert into a dash to hold the new smaller dia switch .sorted :Thumbp2:

does anyone know how to stop a lucas ignition switch rotating when the key is turned?
Fairly sure any switches I've replaced in the past had one flat side on it, ie "D" shaped and this held it snug.

Back