Winter Wheat 2021

Looking at weather forecast here, No rain forecast for foreseeable future, I’d be able spread Saturday/Sunday. However, freezing temps and snow possible Wednesday/Thursday. I kind of want to spread incase after the cold spell it breaks again and it delays the spreading till mid March which the weather often does here. In theory if it was spread sat/sun it should be in the ground safe from snow by Wednesday? I know it will have no effect due to the cold but at least when it warms up it will be there available. What is yer thoughts? Go out when it’s dry and not frosted but before a week of frost ? Or wait out the week of frost and hope for a continued dry spell after
You wouldn't go into a grass field with a slurry tank around here without damage never mind a tillage field.

You wouldn't go into a grass field with a slurry tank around here without damage never mind a tillage field.
We are back out spreading slurry on hire today, ground not too bad at all, I would definitely be able travel on tillage with a fert spreader by tomorrow or Sunday without doing harm

We are back out spreading slurry on hire today, ground not too bad at all, I would definitely be able travel on tillage with a fert spreader by tomorrow or Sunday without doing harm
Slow to comment on this one, it would be an easy answer if you were a neighbour here, I have very thin wheat that needs fert now, but land is not suitable and we will probably get worse snow than you, I may leave my wheat for better conditions.
Your land may be in way better order than over here, I walked crops on Tuesday morning for a friend and we had to choose our route carefully and stick to the tramlines were possible because we were sinking in spots.
If your field is dry enough to travel without damage, the soil is unfrozen and the forecast is for a few dryish days, then why not. The West rarely gets the worst of snow or frost,you would have to be very unlucky for it to come very bad with you.

Last edited:
Slow to comment on this one, it would be an easy answer if you were a neighbour here, I have very thin that needs fert now, but land is not suitable and we will probably get worse snow than you, I may leave my wheat for better conditions.
Your land may be in way better order than over here, I walked crops on Tuesday morning for a friend and we had to choose our route carefully and stick to the tramlines were possible because we were sinking in spots.
If your field is dry enough to travel without damage, the soil is unfrozen and the forecast is for a few dryish days, then why not. The West rarely gets the worst of snow or frost,you would have to be very unlucky for it to come very bad with you.
Agreed

Slow to comment on this one, it would be an easy answer if you were a neighbour here, I have very thin that needs fert now, but land is not suitable and we will probably get worse snow than you, I may leave my wheat for better conditions.
Ya for once I actually don’t think we got it as bad rain wise as down south, now in saying that we did get plenty of rain but back in November I think it was, you might recall I put up pictures of tillage fields with water sitting everywhere in them, I was wondering how much hardship oats could take off water logging. There is only one or two patches with water sitting in them at the minute but it’s not half as bad as before Christmas was I’m expecting to see no water in them by Sunday. as I said in a different thread before the last “snow” which very very little came here, I put out all my own and the fathers slurry, you can see exactly where got slurry now is gone green compared to where did not. I think I’ll spread going by YR I’m not going to get any frost until Tuesday night and no snow at all, but back to rain again next Thursday and Friday. Appreciate the reply thanks again @gone

I'd be hesitant to take the dexta out on grass land here atm never mind a tanker.

I looked at a very dry field I've a bit of hedgecutting to do in, it's just about trafficable.

There is a cold sneaky air about today , and the yard/road is drying quickly . Its cloudy looking , so anything could happen rain wise . If it doesn't rain , I wouldnt be afraid of spreading slurry tomorrow on some of my drier fields.

There is a cold sneaky air about today , and the yard/road is drying quickly . Its cloudy looking , so anything could happen rain wise . If it doesn't rain , I wouldnt be afraid of spreading slurry tomorrow on some of my drier fields.
It's spilling here at the moment. It is gone a bit sneaky out with the temperature. One minute you'd be thinking of firing off the overalls and the next your feeling a bite in it.

Does playing with a thin crop with a tickle of this and a tickle of that actually make much of a difference bar the fact you have yourself convinced your doing good? I’ve tried it a good few times and I know my answer, plenty lads on here with years more at it than I.

Does playing with a thin crop with a tickle of this and a tickle of that actually make much of a difference bar the fact you have yourself convinced your doing good? I’ve tried it a good few times and I know my answer, plenty lads on here with years more at it than I.
I find an early application of N&P works well as does a properly timed spray of CeCeCe.

I find an early application of N&P works well as does a properly timed spray of CeCeCe.
I’ve allways found a thin shook crop is probably shook for a reason, crows, slugs or fertility and no matter what you threw at it the difference was very little, the jizz to make it tiller and power on like nice full healthy crops was never there, knocked out of it by either of the reasons above. I felt 2019/2020 and all the thin barley and wheat really drove it home.

I’ve allways found a thin shook crop is probably shook for a reason, crows, slugs or fertility and no matter what you threw at it the difference was very little, the jizz to make it tiller and power on like nice full healthy crops was never there, knocked out of it by either of the reasons above. I felt 2019/2020 and all the thin barley and wheat really drove it home.
I would have had very good results with thin Winter Wheat, but thin Winter Barley or Oats is in general always poor.

If I could see rows in winter wheat this time of the year I'd never give up on it, worse case scenario it will pay as good as ripping it up and resowing spring cereal, quite often it will surprise and do very well. Will rip up 5 % of the ww this spring, will nurse along another 10% and the rest is all ok

If I could see rows in winter wheat this time of the year I'd never give up on it, worse case scenario it will pay as good as ripping it up and resowing spring cereal, quite often it will surprise and do very well. Will rip up 5 % of the ww this spring, will nurse along another 10% and the rest is all ok
Maybe so but seeing rows is north of 200 plants, you can make a crop of that. You need 150 I think, any less is just bolloxing

Maybe so but seeing rows is north of 200 plants, you can make a crop of that. You need 150 I think, any less is just bolloxing

80 used to be the traditional threshold. Wasting your time at 80 & probably even up at 120. I learned that the hard way. W wheat is a serious crop to compensate & tiller, but it can’t appear by magic, I’ve learned the hard way. Doing something might make you feel better, but staying in the yard or on the couch is often the best course of action, especially if there’s a v bad forecast.

Have Wheat with plant stands well under 100, it will be interesting to see what it will do.

Back