Repairs.....

Bought a new welding mask,used it for the 1st time today.šŸ„°

Pinion shaft on the rear diff has given up on the weidemann šŸ¤¬ā˜¹ļø 4200hrs serviced on the dot,not sure how a hydrostatic transmission could chip a tooth or do so much damage,something didnā€™t feel right and I thought it was a prop uj,dropped the oil to find a lot of fillings.šŸ‘ŽView attachment 100243View attachment 100242a bit of straw blowing about today is the least of my worries,hired a bobcat and itā€™s reaffirmed I hate the feckin things,have dragged the industrial fergy out of the shed to scrape out and made an adapter plate for the loadall so I can use the ag dispenser,not ideal as loadalls are huge in cubicle sheds,bobcat hired for a week so Iā€™ll clean out some calf pens while itā€™s here.
Did you try welding the pinionšŸ¤”

Pinion shaft on the rear diff has given up on the weidemann šŸ¤¬ā˜¹ļø 4200hrs serviced on the dot,not sure how a hydrostatic transmission could chip a tooth or do so much damage,something didnā€™t feel right and I thought it was a prop uj,dropped the oil to find a lot of fillings.šŸ‘ŽView attachment 100243View attachment 100242a bit of straw blowing about today is the least of my worries,hired a bobcat and itā€™s reaffirmed I hate the feckin things,have dragged the industrial fergy out of the shed to scrape out and made an adapter plate for the loadall so I can use the ag dispenser,not ideal as loadalls are huge in cubicle sheds,bobcat hired for a week so Iā€™ll clean out some calf pens while itā€™s here.
Ugh, thats kinda fcuked..

too much Ill guess, what make axle is it, never know who might have a contact for that particular vendor who might be able to supply

Bit less Ā£3.2k

Iā€™ve ordered the full axle at Ā£6k,itā€™s the biggest repair bill Iā€™ve ever had,donā€™t think Iā€™ve spent Ā£6k on a single machine I own in itā€™s life.
The way I see it I could buy the pinion set for Ā£700 and stick it back together and sell it,but finding a replacement just isnā€™t happening,thereā€™s bugger all about second hand,Iā€™m not sure how dealers are making any money.

Bit less Ā£3.2k

Iā€™ve ordered the full axle at Ā£6k,itā€™s the biggest repair bill Iā€™ve ever had,donā€™t think Iā€™ve spent Ā£6k on a single machine I own in itā€™s life.
The way I see it I could buy the pinion set for Ā£700 and stick it back together and sell it,but finding a replacement just isnā€™t happening,thereā€™s bugger all about second hand,Iā€™m not sure how dealers are making any money.
Do they make their own axles then?

Don't expect that's the first time they've done similar. Anything to get the truck back on the road out there.

never had the bother of dealing with a chipped gear, is it actually possible to do a structurally sound repair

never had the bother of dealing with a chipped gear, is it actually possible to do a structurally sound repair
If itā€™s a ride on lawnmower gearbox, no problem. If itā€™s the final drive of an artic lorry Iā€™d be inclined to leave it to the experts.

If itā€™s a ride on lawnmower gearbox, no problem. If itā€™s the final drive of an artic lorry Iā€™d be inclined to leave it to the experts.
I'd agree with you on that. You have to remember that video is probably Pakistan or India, "experts" and parts availability would be scarce. They don't care if it only last a couple of months before it goes again, they might have found another by then (or just weld it again).

Looks very much to me like it wasnt his first rodeo. it's only a helical gear, going into a probably already worn transmission, tolerances are unlikely to be that tight.

Many similar jobs were done in this country to keep a machine going before we got fat and could afford to buy replacements from the dealer.

Fair play to him I say.

I wonder could a foundary cast a part for you.
Build the old one into shape as instructed in the above video. Then use it to make a mould?

Presuming such steels can be cast at a factory that is!
Or would a casting not be accurate enough?

Back