The reseeding thread

why in the first place? i prefer to let the seed merchants have the hassle of keeping the mice away from it.
I have just been offed a mix that I want and been told that the price of it will rise significantly from December 1st so was toying with the idea of buying it before then and storing it myself.

If a lad was to buy seed now, would it keep ok until spring before using it?
We’d have throw a half bag if we’d some left into a mineral bucket and snap the lid tight on it and it has been ok 2-3 years later when covering in patches, but then the seed rate on those jobs is normally a bit generous so can’t say if it all germinates, but if your buying now for next year I’d say you’ll have no problems once you can keep the mice away. The merchants didn’t manage to do that on some we got this year tho 😡

I'd say they are anticipating a big demand for clover seed as well as multi species seeds. Everything else has gone up so they won't be shy in putting up their prices either.
With clover and multi species its all well and good telling us to set them and I'm sure they have a place in the grand scheme of things but for those of us on heavy ground with maybe 3inches of topsoil they are not going to work cause in bad weather they will be destroyed. They will work a dream on dry ground but will have to be managed,

With clover and multi species ................ They will work a dream on dry ground but will have to be managed,

have some element of them sown each year for the last 5 to 8 yrs on mostly dry ground. I fail to see their benefits. Low N grassland will kick the sh%te out of them in a normal year.

If a lad was to buy seed now, would it keep ok until spring before using it?
I have half a bag of lawn seed in a shed for over a year and it's still fine. I put the original bag into a fertiliser bag and just rolled up the open end. I used a bit in the later end of September to patch up where the timber had been for a couple of years and it struck the finest.

H
I have half a bag of lawn seed in a shed for over a year and it's still fine. I put the original bag into a fertiliser bag and just rolled up the open end. I used a bit in the later end of September to patch up where the timber had been for a couple of years and it struck the finest.
Had lawn seed in the shed for three years. I lashed it out well on a temporary lawn and it grew. Was plenty of seed so who knows, the germination rate could have been very low

With clover and multi species its all well and good telling us to set them and I'm sure they have a place in the grand scheme of things but for those of us on heavy ground with maybe 3inches of topsoil they are not going to work cause in bad weather they will be destroyed. They will work a dream on dry ground but will have to be managed,
Plus you cant spray them as you will kill a lot of the "herbs"

I have a whack of clover doing well on heavy grazing ground. All sowed naturally by feeding it in ration through the creep feeder. I'd like to try some of the multi species in the same way.

I have some dry boggy ground that would have a good soil depth and I think it would be good ground to grow multi species too.

I have a whack of clover doing well on heavy grazing ground. All sowed naturally by feeding it in ration through the creep feeder. I'd like to try some of the multi species in the same way.

I have some dry boggy ground that would have a good soil depth and I think it would be good ground to grow multi species too.
Jesus that’s some way of doing it. Would you put much through the meal?

I tried that and it grew like hell where I tipped it on the floor for the lads to eat but nothing went through them

If you are going the multi species route you may do the hole place as they say if you only do a paddock here and there they will not eat the stuff as it tends to be abit sour

Back