The reseeding thread

I DD'ed grass around the 1st of September, its marginal ground. Came up beautifully and was a picture. The onslaught of rain over the last 10 days has resulted in it standing nearly in water now and to me looks goosed. Fruit fly robbed another 6 acres on my good ground :cursing:. Has been too wet to get back into drill cereals for 2 weeks now

Would that not rattle the clover /
I got some of this for the job. So I would hope not?

20211007_220958.jpg

I'm at the same stage as you with a reseed. I walked it today and see some weeds coming, but I think it would be better to leave spraying it till spring, in my case anyway
It's hard to know at this stage. I see chickweed and thistles among others starting to develop in it. I suppose a lot will depend on the weather.

Hormone weed sprays need reasonably good temps to work properly, something to keep in mine.
I was not aware of that. I wouldn't have sprayed either way if the temperatures plummeted but that's still very useful information. Thanks

I have this plan to do some overseeding next year - a few acres of peat soil. I don't want to drill it. I want to graze it tight, expose some soil and then broadcast the seed.

I have a chain harrow that will do a somewhat reasonable job of exposing some soil. Is there anything else that can be worked on a small tractor that would expose soil a small bit?

Would a grubber like this work?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xNzY4NzQyNzMifQ==

I'm afraid that my budget for 3 or 4 acres would not stretch to that. I have access to a grubber for free like the one in the pic

I have this plan to do some overseeding next year - a few acres of peat soil. I don't want to drill it. I want to graze it tight, expose some soil and then broadcast the seed.

I have a chain harrow that will do a somewhat reasonable job of exposing some soil. Is there anything else that can be worked on a small tractor that would expose soil a small bit?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18xNzY4NzQyNzMifQ==
I'd be afraid that the grubber all will do is bring up lumps on you

Last edited:
A cheap way of doing what you want in good conditions would be to spread the seed over a small area and mob graze it.

That will just rip up sods, I done a small bit with a pin harrow at the beginning of June, after the silage was cut and put slurry on it.
I put the grass seed on with the wagtail and I think I hadn't enough in the hopper and with the shaking around it was all in one side of the hopper so I missed bits and half done bits. I'm going to do it again but this time I'm going to put more grass seed in the hopper.

That will just rip up sods, I done a small bit with a pin harrow at the beginning of June, after the silage was cut and put slurry on it.
I put the grass seed on with the wagtail and I think I hadn't enough in the hopper and with the shaking around it was all in one side of the hopper so I missed bits and half done bits. I'm going to do it again but this time I'm going to put more grass seed in the hopper.
I can get my hands on a pin harrow too. I wonder will it work better than a chain harrow?

Lots of peat soil around here and heavy soil with very poor soakage.
I have tried many methods of reseeding over the years.
Best method so far ,spray and let it die well, stay away from it until conditions are right. power harrow maybe 2 light passes , seed with vicon, fertiliser and lime. Roll. The power harrow raises enough of clay for the new seed and it does a reasonable levelling job, better than any stitching machine. I have pictures earlier in this thread, sometimes I harrow myself (vintage power harrow) sometimes I get a contractor.
20210819_131855.jpg

I have a bit of ground sprayed off. It's "challenging" land. About 12" plus, of peat over solid channel subsoil .I'm looking for advice on suitable grass seed. I have used heavy land mixes in the past, but I'm not impressed. I'm inclined to go with a single variety .
Willing to try anything.
View attachment 91851
Other side of the hedge.
View attachment 91852

Probably the worst land in Ireland, but it's important to me because I can graze milkers on it.
Mini till, 2 runs of power harrow, seed with vicon, 10 10 20 , gran lime, and rolled with empty grassland roller. Only got stuck once 🤗😅
Sowed 19th June (3 weeks tmro) Used Tipperary no.3
local rep selling it.
It's doing well.
View attachment 94475View attachment 94473View attachment 94472

Lots of peat soil around here and heavy soil with very poor soakage.
I have tried many methods of reseeding over the years.
Best method so far ,spray and let it die well, stay away from it until conditions are right. power harrow maybe 2 light passes , seed with vicon, fertiliser and lime. Roll. The power harrow raises enough of clay for the new seed and it does a reasonable levelling job, better than any stitching machine. I have pictures earlier in this thread, sometimes I harrow myself (vintage power harrow) sometimes I get a contractor. View attachment 98516
I agree with you. We have reseeded a good bit of ground at home with the same method. What I am looking to do is complicated, so I won't try to explain, but quite simply the problem is access. Whatever is done will be done with the 35.

I agree with you. We have reseeded a good bit of ground at home with the same method. What I am looking to do is complicated, so I won't try to explain, but quite simply the problem is access. Whatever is done will be done with the 35.
If it was a small area that your doing it could be done like a bit of ground now been farmed ( dairy farm at moatefarrell where it wasn't tillable due to rock ) local suckler turned dairy man you probaly know.
Seemingly the owner got in a track machine and just stripped and turned over the sod to reseed it.

Back