Winter oats 2023

Don't sow it early and not an issue. Never an issue here with stopping weeds in their tracks once sprayed before Paddys Day (assuming weather is mild enough for growth by then)

Don't sow it early and not an issue. Never an issue here with stopping weeds in their tracks once sprayed before Paddys Day (assuming weather is mild enough for growth by then)
I’m going with Oats this year first time in 8 or 9 years. What would you consider ideal sowing date?

Your a brave man ploughing that far ahead in the autumn.
My choices are very limited, one tractor for plough and drill. Plus time is scarce, evenings and weekends only. First time ever I haven’t ploughed the headlands so will be taking off drill after middles are sown to plough then back on with the drill.
My ground does dry fairly quick but agreed weather forecast is very messy this month.

My choices are very limited, one tractor for plough and drill. Plus time is scarce, evenings and weekends only. First time ever I haven’t ploughed the headlands so will be taking off drill after middles are sown to plough then back on with the drill.
My ground does dry fairly quick but agreed weather forecast is very messy this month.

I'm more concerned about what is forecast after next weekend for here at the minute. Almost 3 inches of rain in 2 days. I've only one field of winter cereals this year for various reasons and motivation is reducing daily.

I'm more concerned about what is forecast after next weekend for here at the minute. Almost 3 inches of rain in 2 days. I've only one field of winter cereals this year for various reasons and motivation is reducing daily.
Which forecast did you see that on? Forecasts have been jumping around a lot lately.

Back