Winter oats 2023

Due to a delay in winter oats seed delivery we are going to have to drill much later than normal. We're up in the NW just outside Derry/high rainfall area and unfortunately the weather broke 10 days ago and brought 100mm of rain with it.

The parcel of ground we have earmarked for winter oats (wholecrop) has had a fair bit of weed pressure building the last couple of years, particularly with meadow grass. Weather complications prevented a pre-em going on last year and 2 years prior it was in maize (the pre-ems weren't very effective during very dry spring/early summer),

We have been advised to get a pre-em (Flufenacet + Diflufenican) on immediately after sowing oats this year to give ourselves the best chance of reducing the burden, but weather conditions at the minute are so tricky that even where we get a couple of dry days to drill its blowing a gale and not suitable for spraying, before the rain comes again. Generally speaking in this part of the world we like to have all drilling finished before the middle of October but the weather forecast is continuing to remain unfavourable for completing sowing and spraying in quick succession.

Not really sure what we should do to try and make sure we complete both tasks. I'm patient by nature but that is starting to wear! Should we take the risk and remain patient. Worst case scenario we have to hold the seed until the spring. Or do we take advantage of a couple of dry (but windy days) and sow at higher seed rate to try and suppress the meadow grass and forget about the pre-em altogether. Or is there anything else we should consider? Fields have been ploughed a month approx and will be drilled with one pass. For the most part its light sandy soil. Bit of heavier ground will likely have to wait to the spring unless there is fantastic weather later this month.

Due to a delay in winter oats seed delivery we are going to have to drill much later than normal. We're up in the NW just outside Derry/high rainfall area and unfortunately the weather broke 10 days ago and brought 100mm of rain with it.

The parcel of ground we have earmarked for winter oats (wholecrop) has had a fair bit of weed pressure building the last couple of years, particularly with meadow grass. Weather complications prevented a pre-em going on last year and 2 years prior it was in maize (the pre-ems weren't very effective during very dry spring/early summer),

We have been advised to get a pre-em (Flufenacet + Diflufenican) on immediately after sowing oats this year to give ourselves the best chance of reducing the burden, but weather conditions at the minute are so tricky that even where we get a couple of dry days to drill its blowing a gale and not suitable for spraying, before the rain comes again. Generally speaking in this part of the world we like to have all drilling finished before the middle of October but the weather forecast is continuing to remain unfavourable for completing sowing and spraying in quick succession.

Not really sure what we should do to try and make sure we complete both tasks. I'm patient by nature but that is starting to wear! Should we take the risk and remain patient. Worst case scenario we have to hold the seed until the spring. Or do we take advantage of a couple of dry (but windy days) and sow at higher seed rate to try and suppress the meadow grass and forget about the pre-em altogether. Or is there anything else we should consider? Fields have been ploughed a month approx and will be drilled with one pass. For the most part its light sandy soil. Bit of heavier ground will likely have to wait to the spring unless there is fantastic weather later this month.
Oats has a natural weed suppression, or allopathic affect, so I would not be near as worried about not get a weed spray out on Oats

Got the Husky sown yesterday 170kg/ha. I wouldn’t have sown yet only the upcoming forecast looks to be getting worse. We got a short shower every hour. Conditions were sticky but drill seemed to be doing a good enough job so we kept going and finished. Hopefully it will come ok.

Attachments

• C492BB43-2446-4B94-A90A-864246DDC6DE.jpeg
    C492BB43-2446-4B94-A90A-864246DDC6DE.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 49137E89-7DAF-4C98-9042-7256A5CAEFAD.jpeg
    49137E89-7DAF-4C98-9042-7256A5CAEFAD.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 98
Got the Husky sown yesterday 170kg/ha. I wouldn’t have sown yet only the upcoming forecast looks to be getting worse. We got a short shower every hour. Conditions were sticky but drill seemed to be doing a good enough job so we kept going and finished. Hopefully it will come ok.

That looks grand, nothing to worry about there at all once the deluges keep away.

Husky doing fine despite all the rain it has got in 3 weeks since sowing. Better strike rate than expected 370 to 420 plants per my sq. I know it’s not cool to count but I’m mad for numbers.

Attachments

• 5924B0FB-A43E-4F70-A18E-E1B59D654213.jpeg
    5924B0FB-A43E-4F70-A18E-E1B59D654213.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 57
  • F4FE52DA-078E-416D-A7DE-870868DCDDB8.jpeg
    F4FE52DA-078E-416D-A7DE-870868DCDDB8.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 6192B2DD-0EB0-4A2F-9BFF-7946EE56A8ED.jpeg
    6192B2DD-0EB0-4A2F-9BFF-7946EE56A8ED.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 57
Husky doing fine despite all the rain it has got in 3 weeks since sowing. Better strike rate than expected 370 to 420 plants per my sq. I know it’s not cool to count but I’m mad for numbers.

That looks lovely for something that's only in 3 weeks.

Hi all, I've oat seed in the shed and if next week came good would I be mad to chance setting oats. The field is a good sheltered one, near cork city.

Lads near me planted oats on the 3rd week of Jan 22, we did get a good 10 days or so dry in the run up to it. I couldn’t believe it when I saw them sowing it.
They ploughed just ahead of the drill and it looked a lovely crop all year from the road.
No idea how it yielded but knowing those lads they wouldn’t be doing it unless it worked out.
Soil is very saturated at this stage this year though.

Lads near me planted oats on the 3rd week of Jan 22, we did get a good 10 days or so dry in the run up to it. I couldn’t believe it when I saw them sowing it.
They ploughed just ahead of the drill and it looked a lovely crop all year from the road.
No idea how it yielded but knowing those lads they wouldn’t be doing it unless it worked out.
Soil is very saturated at this stage this year though.
Cloone sowing for EF? If so it yielded very well.

In the same situat
Hi all, I've oat seed in the shed and if next week came good would I be mad to chance setting oats. The field is a good sheltered one, near cork city.
In the same situation here, at this stage I think I’ll wait for February. I’ve no interest in trying to battle crows for the next month!

I'll let it go till the spring so. I was advised upto mid Nov is okay but its getting late now by the time the soils drys out enough to plant. Its hard to know what the weather will do and will it get very cold and frosty. Thanks for the advise.

Yes you would be mad, the oats will do just aswell sown early March as they will now with not a fraction of the hardship
I was told by a man who grows a lot of oats not to sow from November 20th to December 20th, his theory was that the seed will sit to long with no growth , early January on he said work away as the ground starts to warm up and the oats will get going .

Back