4x4 SUV for small bit of towing

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
Thinking about changing the Volvo V70 for something with four wheel drive. It can tow 1800kg, I'd like something with a bit more towing capacity if possible. Going private tax as it will be mixed used for the farm, school runs etc. Ideally like to keep the spend under 5k euro but can increase that if there is something with particular value.

Thinking about changing the Volvo V70 for something with four wheel drive. It can tow 1800kg, I'd like something with a bit more towing capacity if possible. Going private tax as it will be mixed used for the farm, school runs etc. Ideally like to keep the spend under 5k euro but can increase that if there is something with particular value.
I bought a Rav 4 at the start of the year, a 2011 model, English model. Similar to you, always had a car and just needed something to pull a trailer for awkward parts, wheels etc no big weight and to fly across a field if needed, sorry I didn't buy one years ago, does 41.5mpg, can tow a trailer, give it a wash and it's smart enough looking to go to a wedding etc, private tax so can use it for anything

how much more than the volvo do you want to pull?

Rav4, xtrail, tiguan, freelander will all pull 2t. a 2.2 santa fe or sorento will pull 2.5t in a manual box.

put a set of all terrains on any of them and they'll get themselves in and out of many a field too.

if you want low running costs the rav4 is probably the toughest of the lot, tiguan and freelander have smallest boots, rav4 next, xtrail is a good bit bigger, santa fe and sorento biggest boots of all.

right up until my santa fe ate its engine it was a great yoke. (still in the yard here with 4 new all terrains, brakes, shocks, rear springs, clutch and flywheel within the last 15k miles if you fancy a project)

Cheers lads, ideally would be able to tow up to 2.5t, but 2t would be fine.

That could be an interesting project. I'll be in touch.

A brother in Law of mine had a Santa Fe from new (2008) The engine went (no idea in what way) so he traded it about 2 years ago to a local garage. Said garage recently put it back on the road so they must be fixable, or maybe he got a complete engine.

I bought a Manual Kia Sorento first generation. Came with a years test and was well minded with low mileage. The chassis would be getting on in a a lot of them but there would be plenty never given much hardship or off-road use too.
Can tow 2.8t, does 33 mpg. Nothing fancy but suits my needs, there not much as cheap as them either.

I bought a Manual Kia Sorento first generation. Came with a years test and was well minded with low mileage. The chassis would be getting on in a a lot of them but there would be plenty never given much hardship or off-road use too.
Can tow 2.8t, does 33 mpg. Nothing fancy but suits my needs, there not much as cheap as them either.
What year and engine in that? Didn't realise they could tow that weight.

I think they recommend an auto box in the sorento if you are going to do any towing as clutch was a weak point pre 2010 models,

oh yeah the first gen Sorento is a proper truck. seperate frame, live axle. rwd by default bringing the fronts in for 4wd.

It;s the opposite of everything else on this page which are oversized fwd hatcbacks that can bring in the rear axle for 4wd.

it's a class of vehicle that doesnt really exist anymore, the smaller seperate frame SUV. I had two fronteras which were in a similar vein.

odd. for sale again within a week, but signwritten and the tax insurance holder changed from nice in the old ad to crappy in the newer ad.

if it wasnt for the ages of the two ads you;d say that someone had bought it, taken off the stickers and was selling it for a healthy markup.

odd. for sale again within a week, but signwritten and the tax insurance holder changed from nice in the old ad to crappy in the newer ad.

if it wasnt for the ages of the two ads you;d say that someone had bought it, taken off the stickers and was selling it for a healthy markup.
Yes, something not quite right with it anyway. You would expect the newer add to be tidier. Maybe the old ad was renewed by accident or something...

Its possible that the 'newer' ad is sour grapes too, maybe the original owner isnt happy to see it for sale at such a mark up.

I reckon that’s what it was, tidied up and marked up. Still it’s condition and paperwork is what I buy on, might be worth a phone call to both Ads and see what the story is

well spotted though chaps 👌

Last edited:
I think they recommend an auto box in the sorento if you are going to do any towing as clutch was a weak point pre 2010 models,
Clutch wasn't weak in the manuals. I had 3 and never had any trouble. Manuals are most sought after.
The transfer boxes give trouble on the the auto 4wd compared to selectable 4wd.
Usually happens from different sized tyres and the 4wd kicking in and out without knowing.
The selectable 4wd is the basic model that runs in back wheel drive unless you select 4wd. The sorento also have low box as well

Hi @Rathbran,

Not yet, I'm focusing on getting a tractor first as I need that to do a few jobs around the farm. Having said that, if something good comes up, I'd take a serious look.

Do you know of something like that?
Not yet, was interested to see if you‘d got Something and what you’d gone for. I’ll be looking to downsize our jeep in next few months as the running costs getting outta hand, but will still need a 2.5 ton tower for horse box

if I do come across something will drop you a message

Back