All things Wooly!

Its an interesting idea but jesus once a year is enough for lambing, the thought of having to face into 3 different lambing periods but would make me plant the whole place😅
Ha. That crossed my mind.
But a few small lots might be easier managed in the end!?

We lambed a bit over 450 in 4 days two weeks ago. And still wernt half way.
I could be chilling out by now rather than stood in a sheep shed warming bottles!

No you missumderstand.
Ewe would still only lamb once in a calendar year.
But divide a big group into 3 lots. To lamb every 4 months. Or even lamb every 3 months.
Anything missing a cycle for say January lambing would fall into the May lambing and so on.
Using EID to identify who has missed two cycles then cull.
I'd be with eire here, once a year is enough :lol:

It could be done alright, the danger would be with the later groups not going in lamb, I think.

Most breeds come into heat due to the changing day length and would only have a limited length of time where they would have heats so I reckon the third round would have a good number of cull ewes. And a good price for good cull ewes would be nice.

Reactions: AYF
Ha. That crossed my mind.
But a few small lots might be easier managed in the end!?

We lambed a bit over 450 in 4 days two weeks ago. And still wernt half way.
I could be chilling out by now rather than stood in a sheep shed warming bottles!

That's good going! Would you not be robbed in meal though having to feed ewes and lambs in the back end when grass is scarce?
Hard to beat a march born lamb and get them away off grass only.
Years ago here my father and uncle here tryed getting ewes into lamb out of season. Put them in the shed and covered the space boarding to try and make it seem darker like the days were shorter like later on in the year Worked to a certain degree but not mighty.

That's good going! Would you not be robbed in meal though having to feed ewes and lambs in the back end when grass is scarce?
Hard to beat a march born lamb and get them away off grass only.
Years ago here my father and uncle here tryed getting ewes into lamb out of season. Put them in the shed and covered the space boarding to try and make it seem darker like the days were shorter like later on in the year Worked to a certain degree but not mighty.
Ah with only a small group ever needing the best grub, they could be spread out. And with maybe something planted to fatten the backend born lambs. Same goes in spring when my ewes are usually licking mud for nutrients!😂

Yeah getting them in lamb out of season is probably the stumbling block.

These thoughts came about from toying with the idea of two groups.
One early indoors. The other late outdoors.
Have younger ewes outdoors then brought in for their last years.

No you missumderstand.
Ewe would still only lamb once in a calendar year.
But divide a big group into 3 lots. To lamb every 4 months. Or even lamb every 3 months.
Anything missing a cycle for say January lambing would fall into the May lambing and so on.
Using EID to identify who has missed two cycles then cull.
I just have one question..why would you want that hardship?🤣 There's actually a very interesting thread on the farming forum that I was reading the other day. There's a lad looking into using Dorsets and Dorpers to lamb twice a year. February and October. Keeping ewes in condition with root crops and meal would be hard going. But I do see what your proposing is a different system. Would be an interesting experiment though.

My neighbour lambs for 6 months,starts December and finished by June,I wouldn’t hold him as sheep farmer of the year though.
When we use to be at the 3 lambings in 2 years, we use to start lambing around the 1st of September and finish around the 15th of May. Madness, hard on man and beast, way harder to control disease, harder keep ewes in good condition and harder keep up the enthusiasm.

My neighbour lambs for 6 months,starts December and finished by June,I wouldn’t hold him as sheep farmer of the year though.
Knew a man who basically lambed all year!
Everything ran together all year.
Went to help the shearers there one year. Was sorting out lambs a few days old and others ready to go.
Tbh it was a real shit show, they were boiling with scab and maggots, and he had a lot of dead stock there too, a very remote place so no one noticed.

He had a butchers shop and won awards for the lamb! I refused to go in there!

We had a couple of late lambs here that weren't thriving, 3 of them. They would get fits of drinking the bottles and then mightn't drink for the rest of the day and maybe drink 100 or 150mls the next feed. I'd mostly given up on them, we still fed them but sometimes had to use a stomach tube at night to make sure they would have enough food to keep them alive until morning.

Anyways, I was killing a few minutes online when I saw a discussion on a probiotic mix for calves that lads had used when they had a bunch of calves they weren't happy with. So I bought a bottle of it yesterday and gave 4 mls to the 3 lambs last night, more in hope than expectation.

I was a bit surprised when two of them went and drank their bottles last night, their full 300mls, and kinda shocked this morning when the same 2 drank their full bottle again, first time in at least 2 weeks. And they look much brighter today than they have for a while. The third one we're not so hopeful about, a premature lamb, very small but off her feed the last few days. We'll keep giving this for a few more days but it looks promising. They're supposed to have a special lamb product coming on stream soon as an aid against watery mouth. It's called Precision Microbes if any of you might be interested in trying it. I'll be using it next year definitely.

Edit: Just reading that, no I'm not selling it but there seems to be some effect in using it here anyway :blush:

We had a couple of late lambs here that weren't thriving, 3 of them. They would get fits of drinking the bottles and then mightn't drink for the rest of the day and maybe drink 100 or 150mls the next feed. I'd mostly given up on them, we still fed them but sometimes had to use a stomach tube at night to make sure they would have enough food to keep them alive until morning.

Anyways, I was killing a few minutes online when I saw a discussion on a probiotic mix for calves that lads had used when they had a bunch of calves they weren't happy with. So I bought a bottle of it yesterday and gave 4 mls to the 3 lambs last night, more in hope than expectation.

I was a bit surprised when two of them went and drank their bottles last night, their full 300mls, and kinda shocked this morning when the same 2 drank their full bottle again, first time in at least 2 weeks. And they look much brighter today than they have for a while. The third one we're not so hopeful about, a premature lamb, very small but off her feed the last few days. We'll keep giving this for a few more days but it looks promising. They're supposed to have a special lamb product coming on stream soon as an aid against watery mouth. It's called Precision Microbes if any of you might be interested in trying it. I'll be using it next year definitely.

Edit: Just reading that, no I'm not selling it but there seems to be some effect in using it here anyway :blush:
I was reading about that product also, on a couple of different sites, and most of the comments were very positive.

anyhow bought a can of it just to have it in stock if needed

we have a batch of 6 in 1 shed (calves) where 2 wern;t as good as the others and we're giving them 30mls each twice daily in the milk replacer.

i've noticed that the dungs have got firm and constant , whereas before they were a kinda solid and spluttery mix.

I was reading about that product also, on a couple of different sites, and most of the comments were very positive.

anyhow bought a can of it just to have it in stock if needed

we have a batch of 6 in 1 shed (calves) where 2 wern;t as good as the others and we're giving them 30mls each twice daily in the milk replacer.

i've noticed that the dungs have got firm and constant , whereas before they were a kinda solid and spluttery mix.
One of our lambs was like that. She's bright and curious today but her dung has gotten solid though she's still very thin.

Nice outfit! How are ya finding the nz Suffolk lambs? Far livelier at birth aren't they than traditional Suffolks.
Thanks. I'm a big fan of Lleyn ewes. There's only 25% NZ genetics in the ram but the difference is noticeable. They are mad to get up and suck the ewe. The only negative is the lambs are bigger than the texel lambs and I have had to pull more of them.

Five alive here today, first time ever. She done very well for herself as she was Scanned for three. Took four of them and didn't look after that for more.... she had the fifth in the pen by herself. Hard to beat the Lleyn ewe, she's in great condition and has plenty of milk and was only on 1.5lbs of nuts.

Attachments

• IMG_20220325_184806.jpg
    IMG_20220325_184806.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220325_182620.jpg
    IMG_20220325_182620.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Last set of three born yesterday eve, good to get them out of the way, three ewe lambs as well which is nice.
Second is a Lleyn X Suffolk hogget who was a pet, crossed to a chartex ram. Their just over two weeks now. Nice handy lambs from the chartex for hoggets. It's been some weather for lambing, the best that was ever had here Id imagine. Lambs haven't got rain on their backs yet.

Attachments

• Snapchat-979337623.jpg
    Snapchat-979337623.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220401_102852.jpg
    IMG_20220401_102852.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 22
Last set of three born yesterday eve, good to get them out of the way, three ewe lambs as well which is nice.
Second is a Lleyn X Suffolk hogget who was a pet, crossed to a chartex ram. Their just over two weeks now. Nice handy lambs from the chartex for hoggets. It's been some weather for lambing, the best that was ever had here Id imagine. Lambs haven't got rain on their backs yet.
Yesterday was brutal here,the North/east wind would cut you in two,I lost a cracking gimmer lamb not helped by the b@stard crows pecking it.

Last edited:
Back