total output per cow

then you calculate total meal used and brewers used in kg/dm fed per cow

for every tonne of dm meal/brewers etc you take away 2000litres of milk

grass utilization figure done by teagasc

total output per cow

then you calculate total meal used and brewers used in kg/dm fed per cow

for every tonne of dm meal/brewers etc you take away 2000litres of milk

grass utilization figure done by teagasc
any idea how many kgs fat and protein you sell per acre farmed?

Not cows but let out some of the calves today, was time up for them at this stage.. One calf is missing after following him for about a mile and a half and going through 3 different farms. Hopefully he will turn up as it was a good strong heifer.

Well our ladys hit grass today.only calving with a week but got 60 out for a few hrs

Attachments

• 20140210_142619.jpg
    20140210_142619.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 76
That paddock looks nice and dry! Certainly wouldn't be as good here yet, so its backing fencing, multiple entrances/exits etc.

Let the cows out yesterday, they were very unhappy and done a good bit of poaching. Going to leave them in for a few days.

295mm of rain here since 1st of jan and 140 of that since 1st feb, 40 acres of grazing block under between 1ft and 4ft of water so it will be a while here yet. Might help the quota situation a bit.

Finally got them out today for a few hrs......

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393530665016.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393530665016.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 42
I flicked through the journal today, Moorepark have afew paddocks with covers of 2000kg/HA at the minute which they are failing to graze out, too wet and the cows are trampling the grass into the ground. What the hell will they end up doing with that?? Grass is growing definitely now also so those covers will keep pushing on! I had to abandon a grazing a paddock with about 1300kg/ha, again too wet and cows not cleaning it out well at all, at least I should be able to get back to that before it goes above likes of 1600.

Had cows out last saturday. On/off now and only some of the fresh calvers, would be a waste putting stale cows out imo. Limited poaching at the tops of the paddocks thanks to good roadways and multiple entry points. About 50% of the farm is still too wet to risk poaching but paddocks on slopes are the ones with the higher covers anyway. Few paddocks here with 1300kg but most planning to get grazed around the 900kg.
If drier conditions develop have 2t of urea to use

More annoying is I have outlying land ideal for slurry spreading but unfortunately to get to them I would have to go through sodden fields so thats not an option. Going to push ahead with drainage on outlying land this year. Pretty sure some fields havent been touched since my grandad put in shores with horse and cart!

Last edited:
must be dry let cows out and I see you are in Cavan, we always heard otherwise abotu Cavan

I'm east Cavan, never gets too bad here. Farm has generations of drainage done too
But even Ballyhaise has cows out on the hills since Feb

things getting worse again, had over an inch or rain in the last 24hrs. back to square one. paddies day now is the next milestone. 6 month winters are the norm now. I suppose it was always the morn but everyone just didnt have as high a stocking rates. managed to reel our 100k gls of slurry last week so pressure off in that department for a few weeks. had to bring in the light store cattle that have injuries that were grazing last friday and these are only 300kgs ish

dry as a cork here today finally.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393592132.148953.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393592132.148953.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 35
dry as a cork here today finally.

less of those type of pictures!!! I have a view of three lakes, two that have appeared since yesterday again. Just looking and we have just gotten 22inches of rain since the 15 of December.

Is there any point having a dry farm in a high rainfall area???? Is a heavy farm in a low rainfall area now a much better prospect. I have a dry farm that seems to be wet more days that dry for the last few years. Even last summer was nothing to write home about

Back