Dairying

About 4 last night the heavens opened for about a hr thought it was going to come into the room at one stage. Was happy I left all the cows in last night. Place is like a swimming pool this morning. Hoping to keep cows out for the day but if they start walking or huddling be in to the yard with them
Had 20mm overnight here.

Was contacted by the NDC to participate in a online zoom call next week to have a open discussion about the challenges and opportunities facing the dairy sector at present and going forward into the future. Delighted to be asked have a few issues and ideas myself but If anybody would like me to bring forward some of their own ideas I will gladly do it also.

Have this shed lads that is been redesigned for the purpose of rearing suck calfs plan to do it next summer. But for the coming spring was going to hand gates and dived the area where the trampoline is into 3 pens. Should hold 12 calfs handy. Was wondering at the front is there anything that would allow a calf stick its head out to get some meal and silage once weaned that is cheap for the time been. Going to have to redo the floors and walls, possibly vented sheeting and rise sheets in the roof during the summer and make a new way in where the red side sheets are as the parlour is behind me. Not sure to go calf feeder or the normal way of feeding yet

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_145416.jpg
    IMG_20211118_145416.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20211118_145446.jpg
    IMG_20211118_145446.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20211118_145457.jpg
    IMG_20211118_145457.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 55
Not in the leasing land game but can lads clarify for me. If fellas are paying say 300 plus for land are they also paying the sfp back to the owner on top of that? Say dairy farms that are set up reasonably well

Or is it all talk

There are lads paying it back alright on top of the lease price, for that money it would generally be a working dairy farm or else be adjoining a dairy farm, in our area anyways.

So on a 150 acre farm with a typical sfp of say 20k fellas would pay 50k rent and 20k sfp??

So a total of 70k to the owner tax free?

That’s pure insanity surely

Not in the leasing land game but can lads clarify for me. If fellas are paying say 300 plus for land are they also paying the sfp back to the owner on top of that? Say dairy farms that are set up reasonably well

Or is it all talk
What % of land leases would fall into this €300 bracket? 5%?

All I know I have a few small fields with maps a few miles from me for 2 cuts of silage on conacre heavy ground but gives me 18 bales/acre .I was giving E180 cash in hand to landlord .close enough for slurry but not dry enough in spring to travel .Anyway the new rate he is looking for is 300 cash/acre .Nothing else available what choice have I

All I know I have a few small fields with maps a few miles from me for 2 cuts of silage on conacre heavy ground but gives me 18 bales/acre .I was giving E180 cash in hand to landlord .close enough for slurry but not dry enough in spring to travel .Anyway the new rate he is looking for is 300 cash/acre .Nothing else available what choice have I
Needs must I know, but I'd exhaust every other option before giving into a lad like that.A neck like a jockeys bollox

Why not just buy silage or some other forage substitute? I would only pay €180 for top land. Either allot of foolish talk or allot of fools talking, when it comes to land rent prices.

Last edited:
Back