FYM for Straw

I think they might be allright in the bottom of a straw bed do add drainage or at least better than nothing.
I got rushes mulched by a contractor and tbh there wasn't anything left to gather up he made powder out of them.
I know, I've seen the same thing here, could finally be a reason to develop the mat maker macerator though. Though how many acres would I not need to cover to get a couple thousand rounds. Be a torture too because the land will obviously be a bit iffy too. Notion to me just ha

I cut and baled rushes one year

it was a scorcher of a week, I left them down for a week until they sort of went crispy

only about 9 or 10 bales. Used them for bedding and they worked ok. Nothing I’ve seen yet as good as barley straw

it was a scorcher of a week, I left them down for a week until they sort of went crispy

only about 9 or 10 bales. Used them for bedding and they worked ok. Nothing I’ve seen yet as good as barley straw
What does straw go for around you? Is there anyone cereals ?

What does straw go for around you? Is there anyone cereals ?
Depends on the year, our straw dealer retired last year, he was 82. Used to run a lorry to monasterevin

I’m not sure what size the bales were, squares but not much bigger than a round bale. 25-35 euros depending on availability that year

No cereals worth talking about near here, I’m east Roscommon on the border with Longford and Leitrim

edit, probably 80x80 or that according to google, I never measured one

Rushes are no use for bedding.

I think they might be allright in the bottom of a straw bed do add drainage or at least better than nothing.
I got rushes mulched by a contractor and tbh there wasn't anything left to gather up he made powder out of them.

I used to cut a few patches of heavy rushes each year , with a drum mower . Leave them for a while ,turn them over with a Vicon Lily , and bale them . I would count a bale of them a bit better than half a bale of barley straw . Maybe 2/3 if grassy .
A mixture of spraying and drainage got rid of the rushes .

I know, I've seen the same thing here, could finally be a reason to develop the mat maker macerator though. Though how many acres would I not need to cover to get a couple thousand rounds. Be a torture too because the land will obviously be a bit iffy too. Notion to me just ha
I would average 9 round bales to the acre for Winter Barley and 7 round to the acre for Spring Barley. But 2018 was much lower than average due to drought. So for 1,400 bales you would need around 175 acres.

That could be done but I'm talking about 12-1400 round bales of straw here.
Would a tillage farmer be willing to wait the extra time for it to be composted, how large of a window do I have to transport it to the land?
Seriously anyone interested, if I can keep the cost down to just transport it could be viable.
A thought I had today.
If you buy a blower you can easily move to big square bales, which should make transport cheaper as you can pack more on a wagon.

Less faffing with squares in a blower too!

I've gotten rid of them now. Might have to plant some 😃😄😃
We used to have a fair amount from a game cover on land we rented. In 2018 the marsh dried nicely so we baled a fair bit more than usual, landlord wasn't so impressed and stopped it since!😭

He hasn't noticed there are less snipe there now than when we were cutting!

Depends on the year, our straw dealer retired last year, he was 82. Used to run a lorry to monasterevin

I’m not sure what size the bales were, squares but not much bigger than a round bale. 25-35 euros depending on availability that year

No cereals worth talking about near here, I’m east Roscommon on the border with Longford and Leitrim

edit, probably 80x80 or that according to google, I never measured one
How many lads buy by the bale?

I wouldn't entertain the idea personally. Not after seeing how much a load can vary depending on the baler!
We have big squares of lovely stuff that are 500kg they would need to seem dear per bale.
Seen some you'd get 3 to a tonne easily, they would BE expensive per bale!

I wouldn't entertain the idea personally. Not after seeing how much a load can vary depending on the baler!
We have big squares of lovely stuff that are 500kg they would need to seem dear per bale.

You are learning the differences between our countries now AYF! Almost all straw is sold by the bale or by the acre over here!

only 1s that buy by the bale here are the horsey girls just wanting 1 or 2
i've argued till i'm blue in the face on here about the fairest way to sell by the ton but it falls to deaf ears

Back