Importing UK machinery post brexit

Claas Grass

Has anyone imported anything since brexit? I was looking at getting a Rav 4 jeep from the UK but talking to a friend who delivers in the cars it's going to be too much hassle, the VRT is €5000 on a €9000 vehicle now alone. Hopefully machinery isn't going to be as much of a pain in the hole, is it even worth looking at stuff in the UK at the moment until things get a bit better organised.

Has anyone imported anything since brexit? I was looking at getting a Rav 4 jeep from the UK but talking to a friend who delivers in the cars it's going to be too much hassle, the VRT is €5000 on a €9000 vehicle now alone. Hopefully machinery isn't going to be as much of a pain in the hole, is it even worth looking at stuff in the UK at the moment until things get a bit better organised.
At this stage, no-one still seems to have a definitive answer on the entirety of the process.

however, what i can tell you is the below.

the machine has to be cleaned to an incredibly thorough standard, it then needs to be inspected, once inspected it is issued with a photosanitary certificate.

then you need to complete a declaration of export form.

you then need both the sanitary cert and the export form to complete and import form.

once you have done this, you can try and book a haulier, most at the moment won’t even quote until all the paperwork is done.

then you submit the invoice and import cert to revenue. The vat is payable as soon as the item enters the country, supposedly before it even leaves the port.

the unit then has its check at ROI port to ensure that it is up to sanitary standards - at this point it could still be impounded if not up to desired spec.

all going well, the unit is then released and then the usual process of VRT (not heard a figure mentioned) and registration.

all the above is what i’m being told by relevant parties, but as of yet, cannot confirm any of it as i am yet to speak to anyone who has imported a used tractor post brexit.

At this stage, no-one still seems to have a definitive answer on the entirety of the process.

however, what i can tell you is the below.

the machine has to be cleaned to an incredibly thorough standard, it then needs to be inspected, once inspected it is issued with a photosanitary certificate.

then you need to complete a declaration of export form.

you then need both the sanitary cert and the export form to complete and import form.

once you have done this, you can try and book a haulier, most at the moment won’t even quote until all the paperwork is done.

then you submit the invoice and import cert to revenue. The vat is payable as soon as the item enters the country, supposedly before it even leaves the port.

the unit then has its check at ROI port to ensure that it is up to sanitary standards - at this point it could still be impounded if not up to desired spec.

all going well, the unit is then released and then the usual process of VRT (not heard a figure mentioned) and registration.

all the above is what i’m being told by relevant parties, but as of yet, cannot confirm any of it as i am yet to speak to anyone who has imported a used tractor post brexit.
l have brought in a handful of vehicles from England and Scotland over the years.
lf what you say is enforced l for one wont be bothered with all that carry-on.
Better brush up on the auld Francais🗼 😄.

This bit is surely just the EU being awkward for awkward sake. Things were ok last year without being phytosanitary and nothing has changed in the UK from a health and hygiene point of view.

This bit is surely just the EU being awkward for awkward sake. Things were ok last year without being phytosanitary and nothing has changed in the UK from a health and hygiene point of view.

probably is, but its the law now anyway

UK also insisting on the same for units imported from EU

My old man was on about that sanitary craic. When he bought the combine, was during the foot and mouth ordeal. The guy he bought it off of had a wedding or something to that effect so dad went over with my older brother to clean it. Spent a couple days at it. Pretty much had to tear out the mat in the cab to clean it. Inspector was there then and ran his finger along the combine. If there dirt, it needs gone. The inspector always found some gap where there was dirt hiding.

Transport prices gone up too. Nick dunican was talking to dad and said one of the guys in england he be dealing combines with had said it used to cost 2000 to send a combine to Ireland. Now it's 2500 for the truck

Thanks @Ó hÉidin are the a English dealers going to be prepared to clean them to that standard I wonder, it's going to make the pool of SH machinery very small here and very large in the UK if it's not going to be workable. France would definitely have to he looked at as an alternative for certain kit like combines if it's going to be that awkward importing, coincidentally I saw this on FB earlier which doesn't sound overly promising

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210125_143947_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20210125_143947_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 217
Thanks @Ó hÉidin are the a English dealers going to be prepared to clean them to that standard I wonder, it's going to make the pool of SH machinery very small here and very large in the UK if it's not going to be workable. France would definitely have to he looked at as an alternative for certain kit like combines if it's going to be that awkward importing, coincidentally I saw this on FB earlier which doesn't sound overly promising

thats a good question. My thoughts are that once the machines are paid for and on a lorry out of the dealers, they won’t care if it gets through irish customs or not, once they have the photosanitary cert issued in the UK they will have deemed to have done ‘their bit’

there will be an opportunity for a service for deep cleaning units going forward. Maybe even a compound/facility near a dock would prove a useful investment.

l have brought in a handful of vehicles from England and Scotland over the years.
lf what you say is enforced l for one wont be bothered with all that carry-on.
Better brush up on the auld Francais🗼 😄.
Same as that with myself. If these new laws are going to be the norm going forward it's the end of UK imports unless the price of 2nd hand stuff becomes so low in Britain it will pay for the nonsense involved.

thats a good question. My thoughts are that once the machines are paid for and on a lorry out of the dealers, they won’t care if it gets through irish customs or not, once they have the photosanitary cert issued in the UK they will have deemed to have done ‘their bit’

there will be an opportunity for a service for deep cleaning units going forward. Maybe even a compound/facility near a dock would prove a useful investment.
Would it be left leave the UK so and get stuck at an Irish port if it wasn't deemed clean enough. Definitely a big business opportunity for people on the English side to set up a guaranteed cleaning business. Dealers there would have experience shipping worldwide already so maybe they will manage it, I remember cleaning combines in Oz to clear the border, a tedious enough job.

Would it be left leave the UK so and get stuck at an Irish port if it wasn't deemed clean enough. Definitely a big business opportunity for people on the English side to set up a guaranteed cleaning business. Dealers there would have experience shipping worldwide already so maybe they will manage it, I remember cleaning combines in Oz to clear the border, a tedious enough job.
Problem is, without UK in the EU the 2 states are not bound by anything to say they have to be at the same standard.

and yes, it would be impounded in dublin by my info as there will be no Irish customs dept on that side (UK) of the border

I assume trucks can still come over on the ferry from UK to Ireland and other direction without any deep clean. Would there be anything stopping someone from UK driving a jeep over on the ferry on a holiday without deep clean?

Reactions: Paw
Problem is, without UK in the EU the 2 states are not bound by anything to say they have to be at the same standard.

and yes, it would be impounded in dublin by my info as there will be no Irish customs dept on that side (UK) of the border
That's what I was wondering would the Irish/EU have some customs of sort to stop the problem ending up on their side. Presumably end up with a big bill for something being in a compound, if it was a case of just go clean it yourself it wouldn't be the end of the world but if it's some contracted job probably just lube yourself up. @thefarminglad when we cleaned the combines to go from Quennsland to NSW we had to have them immaculate not a trace of any crop, while we waited at the border to get the machine cleared there were full loads of straw passing us going interstate, defied logic.

so is the deep cleaning a new thing or has it always been going on . in the past if you had imported a mustang from the USofA would they have insisted on it being deep cleaned or would they just let it slip ?

I wonder where would I check it out?
Northern Ireland...

9 December 2020
8 mins read
The VAT rules for businesses in Northern Ireland and for businesses that trade with Northern Ireland will change from 1 January 2021, write Frankie Devlin and Jennifer Upton of our VAT team.
Most of the changes will arise in respect of trade in goods, as a result of the operation of the NI Protocol. However, there will also be some VAT changes in respect of trading in services as a result of the UK exiting the EU. The new VAT rules that will apply to trade in goods relating to Northern Ireland will be set out in new VAT legislation and further guidance from HMRC.
These changes will require businesses to consider the impact of the Transition Period ending on business flows, systems and processes. This may require businesses to amend existing trading incoterms, as well as require changes to invoicing, VAT logic and tax codes in ERP/finance systems to capture the VAT changes that will undoubtedly arise.
Under the terms of the Northern Ireland Protocol, Northern Ireland maintains alignment with the EU VAT rules for goods, but not for services. However, Northern Ireland is, and will remain, part of the UK’s VAT system. NI businesses will continue to submit one UK VAT return and have one UK VAT registration number.
We summarise the key changes below but do note that other changes will apply that are not covered here.

1. Trading goods between Northern Ireland and Great Britain​

From 1 January 2021, for supplies of goods between NI and GB, the way VAT will be reported will broadly continue to apply as it does now. VAT will be charged as if they are domestic UK supplies, even though there is a recognition that supplies of goods between GB and NI (and vice versa) are exports and imports for VAT purposes after the Transition Period ends. There will be a number of exceptions to these rules, including where goods move under a customs special procedure, where the domestic reverse charge applies, where the onward supply of goods provisions are used and where goods are sold by an overseas seller through an online marketplace. In these cases, the importer/purchaser of the goods will have the VAT reporting responsibility.
When a UK VAT registered business moves its own goods from GB into NI it will have to account for output tax as if it had sold the goods to a third party. If it intends to use the goods solely to make taxable supplies, then it can claim the VAT as input tax subject to the normal recovery rules including partial exemption. The movement of own goods the other way from NI to GB does not have the same requirement to account for output tax.
UK VAT grouping will still be available to Northern Ireland businesses. Normally supplies between VAT group members are disregarded and no VAT charge arises. However, VAT groups will be required to account for VAT and reclaim it (subject to the normal recovery rules) where: a) goods are supplied by one group member to another and the goods move from GB to NI; and b) supplies are made of goods located in NI at the time of supply, unless the supply is between group members that both have establishments in NI.
The margin scheme will no longer apply to supplies of second-hand goods in NI where those goods have been brought into NI from GB and VAT will be chargeable on the full selling price. This change could be very detrimental to certain business sectors that rely on the margin scheme, as well as potentially increasing prices for the consumer.

2. Trading goods between Northern Ireland and Ireland​

The terms of the Ireland/Northern Ireland Protocol require that Northern Ireland maintains alignment with the EU VAT rules for goods (but not services).
Therefore, there will be no change to the current VAT rules in respect of goods traded between Ireland and NI with the exception that NI businesses and those trading in goods in NI will be required to use an “XI” prefix in front of their VAT registration number rather than the “GB” prefix when trading with EU suppliers and customers.
Note complex rules will apply to goods shipped from GB through NI to ROI and from ROI through NI to GB. This may require the use of procedures such as onward supply relief, or customs transit, to simplify the VAT implications, however, this will have to be considered on a case by case basis. The incoterms and the time at which ownership transfers are also likely to become an important factors in determining the VAT treatment in these cases.

It's not the EU being awkward, it is because of the UK now being a third country i.e. not being a member of the EU, the same would apply to any other country outside the EU.
That's what I was wondering would the Irish/EU have some customs of sort to stop the problem ending up on their side. Presumably end up with a big bill for something being in a compound, if it was a case of just go clean it yourself it wouldn't be the end of the world but if it's some contracted job probably just lube yourself up. @thefarminglad when we cleaned the combines to go from Quennsland to NSW we had to have them immaculate not a trace of any crop, while we waited at the border to get the machine cleared there were full loads of straw passing us going interstate, defied logic.
There is no EU or Irish customs post on UK soil, if something ends up in a compound for not being cleaned to the required standard I would think it would be the importer that would have to pay for the storage until it meets the requirements. It won't be a DIY job as whoever cleans it will have to certify that it is done to the required standard and I'd imagine there will only be a few outfits "licenced".
As @Ó hÉidin said hauliers won't touch anything unless the paperwork is 100%, there's a backlog of trailers in the UK because of administrative errors and a PBN won't be issued until sorted. If the driver hasn't a PBN when at the booking on window he will be turned away from the port.
My understanding of importing things is that you will need to get a freight forwarder/customs broker to do the customs entries as it is done electronically and only these sorts of outfits are set up to do so.
To import a vehicle the VIN will have to be entered on the customs decleration and the NCTS won't do the registration unless it has been done.

I used to run border back and forward in talwood as I was cutting both sides of border on my own for about 2 weeks
In pub giving out stink with best of them about that cxnt running border at night 🤠

Back