Importing UK machinery post brexit

So I got 85% there need a dealer to certify the cc of the engine 😡 despite the engine plate showing the exact engine model number. More to come
That’s a new one. When I VRTd the 6080 I didn’t need that. The VRT crowd somehow put 6080 in the “cc” box. When I went to tax it I spotted the mistake and told the tax lady it should be 6.7l. In that case she soda it’s wrong amd you will have to go back to the VRT office. At which point I apologied for my confusion and confusing her in the process and that it was indeed 6080cc, we proceeded to tax the tractor at that point. :whistle::whistle:

When I drove the 170 to Blarney, 4 years ago they wouldn’t plate it, because the front linkage covered the chassis number… said I’d ave to take it off, ok I said, have you 3/4 sockets and a bar…. Oh no you’ll have to take it off and drive it back! I said il bolt it off here only take a few mins!!! He gave in and said get a letter for local case dealer to say said tractor was and is said chassis number bla bla!

When I drove the 170 to Blarney, 4 years ago they wouldn’t plate it, because the front linkage covered the chassis number… said I’d ave to take it off, ok I said, have you 3/4 sockets and a bar…. Oh no you’ll have to take it off and drive it back! I said il bolt it off here only take a few mins!!! He gave in and said get a letter for local case dealer to say said tractor was and is said chassis number bla bla!
You were luck in a ways. Often all they have to do is dig in on something amd if you don’t yield you are the one left without.

is their no vrt office in waterford?

You need to have a bit of luck on your side and hope that the inspector isn't too fussy.T The father took in a 885xl 8 years ago, the VRT lady came out to check the serial number. She saw 885XL written on the door and said "that's all I need to see." He had to explain that it was the model number and proceeded to show her the actual serial no.

It should have being, all my paperwork was WD I dunno how they fucked it up, but it’s ok if they get it wrong…🙄
That’s fairly strange you’d think they’d have to have everything right. They gave me enough hardship over the car and that was a few years ago now and seems they’ve gotten a lot worse since. bank statement was just dated as “forward” so ended up having to get them stamped and dated in branch for them to accept it

That’s fairly strange you’d think they’d have to have everything right. They gave me enough hardship over the car and that was a few years ago now and seems they’ve gotten a lot worse since. bank statement was just dated as “forward” so ended up having to get them stamped and dated in branch for them to accept it
Handed me the papers, I looked down 03C… I was like am, should that not be WD…. ohh ffs he said, have to start all over again…. I was like no leave it, it’s fine not going threw it all that ordeal again 🤣

So I promised to update on the import process. Biggest issue was not knowing rather than actual process.

First step eori number- had to ask my accountant to apply for one as I don’t have my own Ros account. It’s was returned within the day.

I bought from a small dealer and first step is the zero vat invoice from uk seller. As I’m not registered he was saying I needed to pay vat. I assured him I didn’t and I would be paying Irish vat. Then he says he wasn’t registered to do export not sure if this is actually a thing as I think any uk seller can raise invoice with zero vat provided they have proof of export. Fortunately he was friendly with somebody who ran a main Massey dealership and they raised the invoice on their books and I paid them directly the zero vat price.

Then the clean cert , he washed the tractor for me had to take rear wheels off and removed floor mat and cleaned under it. The Massey dealer used their agent £200 no issue was fairly straightforward.

Haulage I used Stewart International who were excellent. As I say I’m not registered so their roi logistics company supplied a bank account and I deposited the vat +€20 charge for using their tan account.

The key documents required for vrt then are the v5, the invoice, the sad! This is the new one that came from haulier. Electronic copy is fine and it details the import including vat paid.

That’s it as above I got blocked as there was no 7480 dyna vt on the system and I didn’t have proof of the engine cc! Now have to get a letter from dealer on headed paper with dealer stamp. Also you must be able to present the chassis number stamped on chassis not on a plate or have dealer letter verifying the chassis number. Guy bedside in vrt has to bring tractor back for this reason an 885xl could not find stamped chassis number.

Last edited:
So I promised to update on the import process. Biggest issue was not knowing rather than actual process.

First step eori number- had to ask my accountant to apply for one as I don’t have my own Ros account. It’s was returned within the day.

I bought from a small dealer and first step is the zero vat invoice from uk seller. As I’m not registered he was saying I needed to pay vat. I assured him I didn’t and I would be paying Irish vat. Then he says he wasn’t registered to do export not sure if this is actually a thing as I think any uk seller can raise invoice with zero vat provided they have proof of export. Fortunately he was friendly with somebody who ran a main Massey dealership and they raised the invoice on their books and I paid them directly the zero vat price.

Then the clean cert , he washed the tractor for me had to take rear wheels off and removed floor mat and cleaned under it. The Massey dealer used their agent £200 no issue was fairly straightforward.

Haulage I used Stewart International who were excellent. As I say I’m not registered so their roi logistics company supplied a bank account and I deposited the vat +€20 charge for using their tan account.

The key documents required for vrt then are the v5, the invoice, the sad! This is the new one that came from haulier. Electronic copy is fine and it details the import including vat paid.

That’s it as above I got blocked as there was no 7480 dyna vt on the system and I didn’t have proof of the engine cc! Now have to get a letter from dealer on headed paper with dealer stamp. Also you must be able to present the chassis number stamped on chassis not on a plate or have dealer letter verifying the chassis number. Guy bedside in vrt has to bring tractor back for this reason an 885xl could not find stamped chassis number.
Did you have to bring the tractor to the dealer to get them to sign off on their headed paper

Excellent update. Thanks.

Great description. Thanks Towbar.

I read before, that if getting a second hand tractor from the North and the price was over €41,000, that revenue here consider it to be a new tractor.

This then requires that you register for VAT here and get a ROI VAT number, give the N Irl seller that VAT number, pay revenue down here the VAT, and then de-register from VAT.

Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Interesting reading there . So you pay the haulage company the vat amount and they pay the government on your behalf if I’m reading it correctly. (Only if not vat registered)
Any other import charges other than paying the vrt .

I read before, that if getting a second hand tractor from the North and the price was over €41,000, that revenue here consider it to be a new tractor.

This then requires that you register for VAT here and get a ROI VAT number, give the N Irl seller that VAT number, pay revenue down here the VAT, and then de-register from VAT.

I seriously doubt that was ever the case tbh

That sounds more like what someone done to avoid paying VAT, I considered doing the same a few years ago when buying a digger that I bought in Mayo, up front there would be a lump sum saving but over eight years the saving wasn't that much

Interesting reading there . So you pay the haulage company the vat amount and they pay the government on your behalf if I’m reading it correctly. (Only if not vat registered)
Any other import charges other than paying the vrt .
I'm actually still waiting on the haulage invoice and there may be a small customs agent charge but there is no duty on tractors so no other import fees.

One of the first tractors I was buying the dealer was agreeable to a return within 1 month if I wasn't happy, cost to me would be about £400 which I thought was fair. The plan was to get a relative who was vat registered in the North to buy it for me and then when the month was up I would buy from him and import. Buying a tractor from the North that is registered in the North after 1st Jan is complicated. Revenue claim the tractor must be customs declared on import to NI but nobody seems to know what that process is and effectively the tractor would have to be physically imported through customs in Dublin even if bought in NI.

I seriously doubt that was ever the case tbh
I read it in an article from the Irish Examiner

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-20198900.html

I rang revenue to clarify, and am waiting for them to find out and ring back - will update when I hear back or find out more

Don’t want to risk having to pay VAT twice! If anyone knows off hand, would appreciate it you could let me know - not sure I have faith in revenue to ring back.

Back