Maize 2021 varieties

Didn’t vary the seed rates by any chance?

Looking for a very low index, fast developing variety to sow after wbarley. Any suggestions?
:oops: No I didn’t, it’s a simple variety trial. Planting them is my annual task, I just want to get them done asap so I can get back at the long list of other jobs so suggesting more complication isn’t something I’ll do! I knew you would ask!!!

Maize has never been a crop that overly interested me for some reason. I’ve just seen too many messers at it over the years that I’m a bit traumatised I’d say.
I love cereals and combinable crops, I like beet and spuds but maize just doesn’t excite me for some reason.

I do appreciate that in hot climates, maize is the absolute business.

:oops: No I didn’t, it’s a simple variety trial. Planting them is my annual task, I just want to get them done asap so I can get back at the long list of other jobs so suggesting more complication isn’t something I’ll do! I knew you would ask!!!

Maize has never been a crop that overly interested me for some reason. I’ve just seen too many messers at it over the years that I’m a bit traumatised I’d say.
I love cereals and combinable crops, I like beet and spuds but maize just doesn’t excite me for some reason.

Having grown too much of it in my time, I just don't think it's a crop suited to Ireland. For me the major issue is bare soil for 7 months of the year. Just too much nutrients and carbon been lost, that's ever before one idiot of a tractor driver destroys the place acting the tool

Sure I knew you wouldn’t.

A neighbor that has a few sucklers plants at 110k. Grows the height of the moon with a tiny cob, but he’s only looking for gutfill, and no other crop would compare for volume. He only grows a few ha before a reseed.

Sure I knew you wouldn’t.

A neighbor that has a few sucklers plants at 110k. Grows the height of the moon with a tiny cob, but he’s only looking for gutfill, and no other crop would compare for volume. He only grows a few ha before a reseed.
I sowed on day with the moore drill, missing calibrated and sowed 60k seeds per ac but in 6" rows. To walk through it, you would hardly know.

If I was still growing maize I would set it in 6" rows. Allot of early light lost at 30" rows in my view

I sowed on day with the moore drill, missing calibrated and sowed 60k seeds per ac but in 6" rows. To walk through it, you would hardly know.

If I was still growing maize I would set it in 6" rows. Allot of early light lost at 30" rows in my view
Imho, sunlight is your limitation for maize whereas water is mine. Either way reducing seed rates should compensate for any less than favorable conditions.

a lad near me used to get the contractor to set his with the one pass. The crops did fine but he eventually switched to using plastic.
I was the same, Think I burned allot of the carbon out of the soil as it was bare ground up to 7 months of the year leading to all sorts of problems.

Back