painting a house

I have to paint the exterior wall of my parents house. Its an ordinary plastered block wall, currently painted white, and is staying white.

Yes I know preparation is essential, I will give it a good wash @1700psi first with the powerwasher, and let it dry out after for a few days.

are there any products that can be put on the wall to make the paint stick better

I guess a roller is the best method considering I have a large flat area to paint.

Youtube shows me thisit looks v v v good

Anyone any experience
Don't use cheap paint I see you will have to put on few extra coats better off buying a good brand and one coat should do you I use roller

I have to get the parents farm house painted, nothing fancy, magnolia, what's the best paint to last, used sandtex the last time 10 years ago but should have been done 2-3 years ago, dulux or Johnstones any good?

Dulux Weather shield here and don't thin it much at all. All done with the roller bar around windows and doors. Have plastic sheeting to do around them and a length of carpet for the ground.

Had a spin of the new sprayer yesterday.
Was a wet day and Mother suggested painting two bedrooms we had renovated. Anything for a change from pressure washing sheds!!

Worked well I must say! Did two coats, first carefully and quite heavy. Then a second fast and further away from the wall. Did the ceilings in opposite directions.
Had a look this morning after it had dried properly and was most impressed if I may say so myself!!

Anyhoo.
Any suggestions on quick and easy masking for windows and doors?
Current plan is cling film and wide masking tape.

Going to remove downspouts and anything I can.

And I want to try and protect the plastic facia boards too. Thinking of sponging on some neat washing up liqiud, then wash it off the next day.

Was a wet day and Mother suggested painting two bedrooms we had renovated. Anything for a change from pressure washing sheds!!

Worked well I must say! Did two coats, first carefully and quite heavy. Then a second fast and further away from the wall. Did the ceilings in opposite directions.
Had a look this morning after it had dried properly and was most impressed if I may say so myself!!

Anyhoo.

And I want to try and protect the plastic facia boards too. Thinking of sponging on some neat washing up liqiud, then wash it off the next day.
I was going to suggest brushing on thick cooking oil or some other biodegradable liquid, washing up liquid sounds much better.

Painting is 80% prep, 15% material quality and 5% technique.

Most important thing is to bleach/hypochlorite before you power wash.

Then go as hard as you can with the washer, lift every bit of paint that thinks it might want to come off.

Then clean any edges of flaked off paint, wire brush, scrape and prime with a brush to seal the edge

Do your cutting in with the brush at the same time.

Then roll. Need to be super methodical rolling the second coat, it is easier brushing the second coat because you're closer to the job and with some colours its hard to see when rolling where you've been.

When it's all done sit back in satisfaction and psyche yourself up for doing it again in 4 or 5 years time

Carpet in one meter wide strips is ideal, an old one from a hallway or corridor would be ideal. Carpet is best as it wont blow away with a breeze and is reuseable. Id make up a cardboard template for the windows and tape it in place or else just handpaint a foot all around doorways and windows. With mine it has a suction hose that goes into your bucket of paint and has a small primer hose beside it so pump is circulating paint all the time even while you're spraying. It has different nozzles for wide band spraying (12 inches) and narrow band (4inches) and plenty options in between. Theres around 70ft of hose on mine so there's not much moving with the machine. Biggest job is flushing out the lines and trigger when finished, this could take 20 mins.

I have to get the parents farm house painted, nothing fancy, magnolia, what's the best paint to last, used sandtex the last time 10 years ago but should have been done 2-3 years ago, dulux or Johnstones any good?

That time of year is coming around again, I have to do the driveway and entrance walls. I was wondering those patches of the wall that the powerwasher blasts back to bare plaster, do I need to give those a dab of a brush to patch them first before getting the roller and giving the 2 top coats

That time of year is coming around again, I have to do the driveway and entrance walls. I was wondering those patches of the wall that the powerwasher blasts back to bare plaster, do I need to give those a dab of a brush to patch them first before getting the roller and giving the 2 top coats
Yes, think that'd be a good idea, fairly thick mix to seal it up and blend it in.

Anyhoo.

Did you come up with an easy solution

Did you come up with an easy solution
I did.... pay someone to do it!😅😅

Tbh what I did was use lots of masking tape and clingfilm.

Quick spray of soapy water onto the window, then the cling sticks itself on easily. Overlap the seams with another run, clingfilm is cheap enough to do it that way.
Run of wide tape round the outside and any bits needed and away!
It did take time, but the spraying was quick afterwards. And no paint got onto windows so....

anyone ever put a coat of stabilizer prior to painting or any pre treatments that are of any use

anyone ever put a coat of stabilizer prior to painting or any pre treatments that are of any use
Is it an outside wall that has never been painted before? If so, roll on a PVA sealer - much cheaper than an extra layer of paint and much better for when you actually paint it.

Is it an outside wall that has never been painted before? If so, roll on a PVA sealer - much cheaper than an extra layer of paint and much better for when you actually paint it.

Just a wall which the wind and rain from the Atlantic Ocean gives a good thrashing, been painted every 2-3years for the last 40years or thereabouts, trying to figure out how to make it last a bit longer this time

Just a wall which the wind and rain from the Atlantic Ocean gives a good thrashing, been painted every 2-3years for the last 40years or thereabouts, trying to figure out how to make it last a bit longer this time
Quality paint is the only thing that I can advise on.

How soon before you can paint a wall? We have a new wall around the patio since early may with cement render finish.

Going to power wash the living daylights to flatten the render and then what? PVA? What ratio to water?

How soon before you can paint a wall? We have a new wall around the patio since early may with cement render finish.

Going to power wash the living daylights to flatten the render and then what? PVA? What ratio to water?

according to dulux weathershield its 5 to 1 paint to water for the first coat, and then 10percent water for the top two coats

I dont think PVA is actually recommended at all.

Is it worth applying an undercoat as fresh render will soak up paint big time, we applied PVA/stone sealer followed by a basic exterior white as first under coat for soakage which made a big difference to paint consumption. Just waited for a few dry weeks till render was dried out

Last edited:
Interesting question about airless spraying.

My daughter is moving rooms, and of course wants nice walls.

She likes various shades of purple and of course pink.

What would happen if I filled a pot with a mix of different colours, but didn't mix them, and put it on the walls with my airless sprayer?

In my mind it would create a brilliant effect. But wondering if, in reality, it would be a mess?!

What would happen if I filled a pot with a mix of different colours, but didn't mix them, and put it on the walls with my airless sprayer?

In my mind it would create a brilliant effect. But wondering if, in reality, it would be a mess?!
There's one way to find out...................

I don’t know but please do share pictures of the results 😂

Back