Quads

avent

I am thinking about looking out for a good secondhand quad bike for rounding up cows and the like and bits of spot spraying. Which are good and which are bad. I know Honda are the one everyone around here has. What size engine would I need and 2 or 4 wheel drive.

I am thinking about looking out for a good secondhand quad bike for rounding up cows and the like and bits of spot spraying. Which are good and which are bad. I know Honda are the one everyone around here has. What size engine would I need and 2 or 4 wheel drive.
If you are going spot spraying then don't do like what we did and get the biggest spot sprayer available. The weight of the sprayer when full puts a fair bit of pressure on back axle. Honda quads always here, had 6 different ones at this stage, all from new, but would have to say that they have got progressively work over the years. The newer the model and the more computers involved the worse they are reliability wise with gearbox etc. Engine is bomb proof generally on a honda though.

Can-am are worth considering too.

You shouldn't need anything too big engine wise but 4wd is a good comfort to have.

Always had Honda here Currently have a 2012 500 model, bought it new and bar a fuel pump it's been trouble free.

If your ground is mostly flat and your not going towing a 420 would be plenty big I'd imagine. Lighter on petrol as well.
Had a spin on a neighbours Yamaha 700 lately, serious bike altogether if ya want power!

If your not towing then power isn't an issue.
Wouldn't even consider a 2wd bike myself. Unless very dry flat ground, but still good to have it. Tbh you might be hard pressed to find one nower days?

Been Yammaha fans the last 25 years. But the last one turned us to Canam. Good bike so far. Done 1000miles on it over lambing, allmost all towing, and am impressed so far.
No issues.
Ask me again in two years as to reliability. But everything seems well built and thought out on it

Always had Honda here Currently have a 2012 500 model, bought it new and bar a fuel pump it's been trouble free.

If your ground is mostly flat and your not going towing a 420 would be plenty big I'd imagine. Lighter on petrol as well.
Had a spin on a neighbours Yamaha 700 lately, serious bike altogether if ya want power!
700 is a monster of a bike. Monster of a fuel bill to I'd say! We had a 550 for two years. Traded it based on fuel use!!
And the power was useless. Tyres couldn't handle it, just spin at the first sign of wet!

700 is a monster of a bike. Monster of a fuel bill to I'd say! We had a 550 for two years. Traded it based on fuel use!!
And the power was useless. Tyres couldn't handle it, just spin at the first sign of wet!
It has to be heavy on petrol, he said he would never go back to a Honda so that says a lot about how happy he is with it. I'd like to change the quad here for a new 520 Honda later in the year..have you any experience of the independent suspension model? Worth getting over the single shock?

It has to be heavy on petrol, he said he would never go back to a Honda so that says a lot about how happy he is with it. I'd like to change the quad here for a new 520 Honda later in the year..have you any experience of the independent suspension model? Worth getting over the single shock?
Don’t attempt to buy a solid axle over independent suspension,have independent rear suspension about 8/9 years here and would never go back
On my second Yamaha grizzly 450
Running Yamahas over 20 years

As Jd Baz says. Wouldn't go back to single shock. Much nicer ride and more stable.

@jd-baz How are you finding your latest 450?
We had a 450 which we traded for the 550, it was a good bike. Nothing wrong on it in 4 years. Had another 450 after the 550 and had a lot of bother.
Went back in twice under warranty. Don't think any of the previous bikes had been in more than once or twice over their whole time with us.

As Jd Baz says. Wouldn't go back to single shock. Much nicer ride and more stable.

@jd-baz How are you finding your latest 450?
We had a 450 which we traded for the 550, it was a good bike. Nothing wrong on it in 4 years. Had another 450 after the 550 and had a lot of bother.
Went back in twice under warranty. Don't think any of the previous bikes had been in more than once or twice over their whole time with us.
Very fond of it,its not new but about 800 hours on it,had a 2005/6 one for years here, gave no real bother only a universal joint on the front shaft i think,have had no bother on the current one and i think i have it a year,its a 2014 model.
Had a big bear 400 before that,and my main job with a quad is spreading slug pellets ,bird cover ,kale rape typhon and all small seeds,but nearly always has a spreader up on rear carrier,could never keep it tight and even broke the mountings of the carrier on the big bear because of the full rear axle,bought a grizzly after my big bear was stole and got a loan of a grizzly off a friend to keep me going and couldn’t believe the comfort,

Reactions: AYF
See jf hanley has a new breed of quad addvetised lately.
Cousin is a fencing and full contract of planting and all aftercare of new plantations.he has an old450 honda.
His mechanic told him to hold n to it as new ones not near as good.
Good few round me has 500s for sowing fert in spring with half ton spreaders , have an america 500 rather that the jap one.even a difference in them in terms of pulling.newer hondas will never do what there doing.a few can am about.think thats how ya spell it

crowd up in ballymena who are very good , i bought a quad spreader off them three years ago , pound was especially weak at the time , 400 euro cheaper than down here after delivery , bought over the phone

McKays

On the look out here for a quad and prob a yamaha. Is a 350 a bit on light side for weed licker and prob small sheep trailer? Flatish ground. Pricey enough second hand but hard to justify new.

On the look out here for a quad and prob a yamaha. Is a 350 a bit on light side for weed licker and prob small sheep trailer? Flatish ground. Pricey enough second hand but hard to justify new.
I agree with the Man. 450 would be a common size bike so easy to find. just nice power to weight wise.
500cc starts getting to big to use the traction properly. And use serious fuel for the same job! Fine for playing, not so for work!

I've a CanAm here since January and like it a lot. The auto is just like Yammaha.

Am lookin towards a auto for ease of driving. What’s honda s auto like have only driven Yamaha version which found nice.
Have an o6 honda 500 with autobox from new.buy a 500 or bigger you never regret it.dont have a licker but have a half ton vicon with an engine that takes the half ton bag....you may buy a fert spreader at some time and you better to have power.500 bike isnt hard ran in general but sowing or licking will make them drink a little more.she would spread 25 ton in spring time..auto box is great for after cattle sheep.just forward n reverse and low box....

Am lookin towards a auto for ease of driving. What’s honda s auto like have only driven Yamaha version which found nice.
Ours is an older one 2012 with the electric shift haven’t driven an auto one. The Yamaha cvt is nice all the same but i never had much experience of one. Had two 350s and this 420 is my total experience of quads.

i would say a 350 would be plenty powerful and heavy enough ?

bar pulling a fertilizer spreader , you shouldnt need much more than 350 ?

Nearly certain it was a 400 i had in late 90s.it was a pure and total utter pan.several times i was tempted to " diggy a hole " for it.bought it new.no power and electric trouble starting and keeping it running.was back with dealer. Got it going middling and she went to a new home and i didnt hear back from the auction

Honda definitely seam easier bought than yamaha but more honda available. €4500 for 10 or 12 Year old Yamaha seams to b the asking prices 🤔

Back