Restoration/ Refurbs

Thinking of buying that. Looks tidy and genuine with a fresh set of tyres. Know to look out for the syncromesh on the gears, the oil pressure for the 4wd and dyna shift, the brakes and the leaking roofs. Anything else I should keep an eye on when I go to look at it. Has an electric shuttle over the manual which I would be unfamiliar with.

Thinking of buying that. Looks tidy and genuine with a fresh set of tyres. Know to look out for the syncromesh on the gears, the oil pressure for the 4wd and dyna shift, the brakes and the leaking roofs. Anything else I should keep an eye on when I go to look at it. Has an electric shuttle over the manual which I would be unfamiliar with.
I'm looking for a 3000 series myself at the moment but I see some of these for sale for similar money. Were they that bad of a tractor? I believe the shuttle gave awful trouble on them

Some excellent work there Meath Massey. You have excellent skills. You will never be at a loss for work in that game. What paint and primer do you normally use?

So I hear but I'm curious to know what exactly went wrong with the 6100 series
electrics mainly, shuttle (a good chunk of them got converted to manual). classic tractor on fb have post asking about them and vastly different replies but should give a decent picture. from what i understand about them, when the 6190 was launched (circa '97 i believe) thats when things vastly improved on the other models and should be the ones to go for if looking for a 6100 series

Last edited:
electrics mainly, shuttle (a good chunk of them got converted to manual). classic tractor on fb have post on fb asking about themand vastly different replies but should give a decent picture. from what i understand about them, when the 6190 was launched (circa '97 i believe) thats when things vastly improved on the other models and should be the ones to go for if looking for a 6100 series
Thanks for that, some interesting reading on the FB comments

Some excellent work there Meath Massey. You have excellent skills. You will never be at a loss for work in that game. What paint and primer do you normally use?
Thanks. I used just standard tractor paint for it because the owner didn't want to go too fancy with the 2 pack even though I tried and tried to convince him to because in my opinion the 2 pack is a better job in the long run. I got the tractol paint off conaty, used standard grey primer. When I go to spray my own yolks and the next 2 jobs after this david brown I'm going to go straight with 2 pack as it's not only a better Finnish but handier to put on. Had to have a space heater going the whole time for the paint to stick and dry right. Does the job all the same I suppose. Done 2 coats for the skid unit and wheels and 3 for the pannels.

I'm looking for a 3000 series myself at the moment but I see some of these for sale for similar money. Were they that bad of a tractor? I believe the shuttle gave awful trouble on them
There's a few knocking about here which have had manual boxes put in them because them electric ones give awful trouble. Was advised to stay well away from it and the price was mad so looking at a 3095 which is a tractor I've dealt with plenty before and know, it's also cheaper and in my opinion a better tractor.

There's a few knocking about here which have had manual boxes put in them because them electric ones give awful trouble. Was advised to stay well away from it and the price was mad so looking at a 3095 which is a tractor I've dealt with plenty before and know, it's also cheaper and in my opinion a better tractor.
I've come to the same conclusion as your self and I'm planning to buy a 3095/3120 after first cut silage

I've come to the same conclusion as your self and I'm planning to buy a 3095/3120 after first cut silage
I dont know was it just bad luck or the tractor itself but the uncle bought a fairly fresh 3120 off mc cullaghs a few years ago and within 2 weeks of having it broke down on him. I think it was some thing to do with the engine. Worst part of it is even though it was under warranty mc cullaghs wouldn't come out and fix it. He was dealing with someone prominent in it who I shall not name who told him if you need it so bad to go and f*!ck1ng fix it yourself. Robert McCullagh called him back later that day to apologize about Your man on the phone earlier and sent a lad out to fix it the next day. I just remember that tractor nearly broke him. He bought a 3125 after and a 3095 after that which didn't give him trouble. Don't know was it just that tractor or what was the story.

We have a 3095 on our farm. Great tractors. It the dads favorite of all his masseys.

Back