shooting/hunting

I put a deposit on this little beauty today.
Just waiting for my FAc to come back before i can go and pick it up.

Attachments

• DSCN2325.jpg
    DSCN2325.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 40
Marlin 39 .22 rimfire.
Been searching intensely for one for a few weeks before stumbling on this one.I was amazed to find it as I thought I had looked everywhere possible on tinternet. I was also surprised when they still had it a week after advertising it.
You can still buy them new, but they have pistol grip stocks and chequering on the wood. I didn't want either of those.
Later models are also said to be a bit iffy on quality compared to earlier ones too. Looked into other makes too such as Henry and might well have gone for one of those if this hadn't turned up.
If push came to shove I was prepared to buy a new one at £700, but this one has saved me £400 on that. Having saved £400 I really can't think of any good reason why I can't go and buy myself a shotgun too at the weekend. :D

It's to replace a semi auto I got rid of a week or so back.
That never did feel a safe gun to me, once cocked you had to rely entirely on the safety or empty all of the rounds out, this one you can just uncock the hammer for a bit more safety.
Those semi autos are expensive to run. I just couldn't help firing all 15 shots every time. The fact that the first one hit the rabbit had nothing to do with it.
Then again, it was so crap you'd be lucky if any of them hit it.

Just unearthing this thread again.

I don’t do much shooting but have always had a gun or two.
Pigeons are going mad in the oilseed rape here so I think I’ll get a day out.

Upgraded the gun last year (I expect lead shot to go from the market at some stage and previous gun wasn’t designed for steel shot).

Flopped a pair the other day and just set up a few decoys today for the craic. Was only sitting in the tractor with no camo on and they started coming quick enough. I was very visible to them and still got two more in ten minutes.

If the weather is good at the weekend, I’ll set myself up properly and see what happens.

Just unearthing this thread again.

I don’t do much shooting but have always had a gun or two.
Pigeons are going mad in the oilseed rape here so I think I’ll get a day out.

Upgraded the gun last year (I expect lead shot to go from the market at some stage and previous gun wasn’t designed for steel shot).

Flopped a pair the other day and just set up a few decoys today for the craic. Was only sitting in the tractor with no camo on and they started coming quick enough. I was very visible to them and still got two more in ten minutes.

If the weather is good at the weekend, I’ll set myself up properly and see what happens.
The really are doing a job on rape this year , never really had much problems with them but this year they are out in force , hard to get shototing men into a hide when the weather is so shitty but hopefully something can be done by the weekend before they wipe it out

The really are doing a job on rape this year , never really had much problems with them but this year they are out in force , hard to get shototing men into a hide when the weather is so shitty but hopefully something can be done by the weekend before they wipe it out
There must be 1000 in a flock here. They are getting used to the bangers which will probably make shooting easier.

A friend of mine was saying that good camouflage is very effective as opposed to setting up a hide.

No wonder you were able to hit two!

Have you ever tried a pigeon magnet otherwise known as a rotary
Just borrowed one once but I have a cheap one here which I haven’t used yet. They can be very effective.

Just went out for a couple of hours.

I wouldn’t have big shooting experience but was very happy with the output. About 8 or 9 more pigeons fell into the next field.

I didn’t use the magnet as the crop was very low. Changed the gun recently and find it much more accurate than the last one, it might be the choke that I’m using.
The face veil and gloves are a help too I think.
49DB3EE3-E914-47DE-9913-BA02E473F310.jpegF624021D-7106-4212-9E90-80292966D60C.jpeg114551DB-A718-456A-A094-97CD28F4BDDE.jpeg

I wouldn’t have big shooting experience but was very happy with the output. About 8 or 9 more pigeons fell into the next field.

I didn’t use the magnet as the crop was very low. Changed the gun recently and find it much more accurate than the last one, it might be the choke that I’m using.
View attachment 87095View attachment 87096View attachment 87097
Had shooters in this morning and they got one, the comment was made that they were foreign pigeons as the minute they was a shot they were gone , the Irish ones are not as clever and stay coming back quickly for more lead !!! Put up two kites this evening so will see how they work

Had shooters in this morning and they got one, the comment was made that they were foreign pigeons as the minute they was a shot they were gone , the Irish ones are not as clever and stay coming back quickly for more lead !!! Put up two kites this evening so will see how they work
Interesting, from what I’ve heard in the U.K., pigeons were a lot easier to attract with magnets some years ago compared to now.

View attachment 87095View attachment 87096View attachment 87097
A few grey crows too, I didn't think they would be inclined to venture into rape, what would draw them ?

They were just hanging around and I couldn’t resist knocking them off.
Got the first at a good height, he crowed and fell down.
Shortly after his buddy came for a look and expired too.
Arnold Schwarzenegger will be looking for you for the next Predator movie.

Back