silage analysis results

The test I saw was 75ivdmd and the farmer was told add 4 to it for the "irish" dmd, I saw the silage and I'd did not look anything like 79dmd. That's why I was asking ye lot.

About 80% id say is maximum to get a ferementation of any kind, after that it's poor to good hay.
That's haylage at that stage.
I had 55%dm pit silage a few year back due to a breakdown

That took some carefull pit management
Even 55% would be considered haylage by some if it was in bales, even with a sheargrab stuff of that DM would tend to spoil if exposed for a day.

That's haylage at that stage.
Even 55% would be considered haylage by some if it was in bales, even with a sheargrab stuff of that DM would tend to spoil if exposed for a day.
I would have taught at 80% DM it would be practically hay, straw at 85%DM holds 100%...
What exactly is haylage anyway, is it not just ridiculously dry silage that's not quite fit for hay? What is the advantage of hayladge or is it just handier to save that few days earlier? Feed value wise I presume it is not a whole lot different to hay.

I would have taught at 80% DM it would be practically hay, straw at 85%DM holds 100%...
What exactly is haylage anyway, is it not just ridiculously dry silage that's not quite fit for hay? What is the advantage of hayladge or is it just handier to save that few days earlier? Feed value wise I presume it is not a whole lot different to hay.
When feeding its dm that counts so if you got real wet silage they would need to eat 2x or 3x the amount of dryer stuff

When feeding its dm that counts so if you got real wet silage they would need to eat 2x or 3x the amount of dryer stuff
Not exactly, straw would do if that was the case. It's about the energy per kg of dry matter, if an animal needs X units of energy per day they must take in Y kgs of dry matter. If the dry matter is too high then they physically cannot eat enough DM to satisfy their energy requirements.

From my memory of it the dryer the stuff you fed them the more water they drank . I have seen a bullock downing a five gallon bucket of water without lifting his head and yet the powers that be would have you believe that they will die if they eat a bit of wet silage .

It's anything that's baled and wrapped and has been tedded....

There are huge variations between what farmers consider haylage, almost fit for hay but not perfect, wrap it and it's haylage, could be as high as 80dm.
At the other end it could be 35dm.

It's handier, less bales/ac to haul, stack and to feed out, a much more pleasant smell on your hands than after handling wet silage.

Beyond all that and I think most importantly cattle like it,

It's anything that's baled and wrapped and has been tedded....

There are huge variations between what farmers consider haylage, almost fit for hay but not perfect, wrap it and it's haylage, could be as high as 80dm.
At the other end it could be 35dm.

It's handier, less bales/ac to haul, stack and to feed out, a much more pleasant smell on your hands than after handling wet silage.

Beyond all that and I think most importantly cattle like it,
I suppose it is like all forages, if the stuff being cut first day is of good quality then your 90% of the way there.

sure in america haylage is anything that's fermented that isn't a cereal or corn. regardless of DM%. It's a pretty useless term imo, you either have silage or hay.

Results for 2017

Attachments

• Agri-King_Sample_1397686.pdf
    627.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Agri-King_Sample_1397681.pdf
    628 KB · Views: 9
  • Agri-King_Sample_1397682.pdf
    628 KB · Views: 6
  • Agri-King_Sample_1397684.pdf
    628 KB · Views: 4
  • Agri-King_Sample_1397685.pdf
    627.8 KB · Views: 6