silage analysis results

got some 1st and 3rd cut tested the other day. ph and ammonia levels were a bit disappointing. will try and remember to bring them down the road tomorrow.
We were having some issues here aswell, especially with cuts later in the year, grass with low sugars and nitrates. Doing a bit of a trial here with some some add safe that I've had from yesteryear to see if it will preserve it.

Results came back here today for first cut on June 18th. It was cut with a conditioner in dry weather and let wilt for 48 hours before baling.
I was very surprised by the DM because the silage is very dry in comparison to other years.

DM 19.3
Ash 8.4
Silage Intake (Kgs dmi) 9.3

PH 4.38
Lactic Acid G/kg 51.9
VFA G/kg 116.2
PAL meq/kg 966.4

Crude Protein 15.2
Ammonia 3.7
PDIN g/kg 90.1
PDIE g/kg 86
PDIA g/kg 27.6

DMD 69.2
ME 10.1
UFL .76
NDF 57.7
ADF 35
sugar 5.6

It advises that for weanlings to gain .6kg/day that I need to feed 0.9kg of meal.

Results came back here today for first cut on June 18th. It was cut with a conditioner in dry weather and let wilt for 48 hours before baling.
I was very surprised by the DM because the silage is very dry in comparison to other years.

DM 19.3
Ash 8.4
Silage Intake (Kgs dmi) 9.3

PH 4.38
Lactic Acid G/kg 51.9
VFA G/kg 116.2
PAL meq/kg 966.4

Crude Protein 15.2
Ammonia 3.7
PDIN g/kg 90.1
PDIE g/kg 86
PDIA g/kg 27.6

DMD 69.2
ME 10.1
UFL .76
NDF 57.7
ADF 35
sugar 5.6

It advises that for weanlings to gain .6kg/day that I need to feed 0.9kg of meal.
Is it a bale sample??

Bales that are less than 20% dm will weigh close on a ton (tractor will know all about them!), and water would be liable to burst out through them when you handle them while feeding.

Thinking about using some molasses this coming tear. With our silage at 18%pro we're over feeding protein by quite a bit. Estimating our cows eating even just 15kgDM/day 3kgs is meal, I could get away feeding straight maize.
Thinking of adding 1kg of molasses per cow per day onto the silage as it's baled so about 20kgs per bale. Lower the protein a bit maybe increase intake slightly and improve fermentation.
Am I off the mark here missing something?

Thinking about using some molasses this coming tear. With our silage at 18%pro we're over feeding protein by quite a bit. Estimating our cows eating even just 15kgDM/day 3kgs is meal, I could get away feeding straight maize.
Thinking of adding 1kg of molasses per cow per day onto the silage as it's baled so about 20kgs per bale. Lower the protein a bit maybe increase intake slightly and improve fermentation.
15kgs in total or 15 silage plus 3 meal?

Are those milking cows?
Yea the fleckvieh. Now I'm estimating the silage intake on how many bales they eat, been told a bale is usually around 250kgs dm. One of our bales does roughly 20 cows a day, this is in a herd that are calving all year round. Yield is around 18ltrs. Average meal fed is 3kgs.

Is your silage not high in sugar already. Maybe look at reducing N levels in the grass abit and reducing n levels applied? Always found liquid a very hard bill to mentally pay. Probably because you dont see a load tipped out on the ground, well hopefully not!!!

All this silage analysis stuff is gone out the window as im nearly outta feed and whatever I can get my hands on silage wise will now have to do. Any port in a storm!!

Last edited:
Is your silage not high in sugar already. Maybe look at reducing N levels in the grass abit and reducing n levels applied? Always found liquid a very hard bill to mentally pay. Probably because you dont see a load tipped out on the ground, well hopefully not!!!

All this silage analysis stuff is gone out the window as im nearly outta feed and whatever I can get my hands on silage wise will now have to do. Any port in a storm!!
I guess I'd be worried on the digestibilty of the silage dropping if I tried to lower the protein. And it's easier to reduce my protein in the meal, and it should save some money. Idk I'll give it a go and see.
Luckily enough we should have enough silage to do until the end of March. Start the zero grazing after that if we have to.

I guess I'd be worried on the digestibilty of the silage dropping if I tried to lower the protein. And it's easier to reduce my protein in the meal, and it should save some money. Idk I'll give it a go and see.
Luckily enough we should have enough silage to do until the end of March. Start the zero grazing after that if we have to.
if your grub is more than adequate for them then reduce your bought in
i would be wary of dropping it too much tho if everything is milking and looking well

Is there much out for sale Ozzy. Would it be a case of selling some cattle it may be the cheaper option. Will u supplement them with a mix to stretch fodde. What would be mix for them

Is there much out for sale Ozzy. Would it be a case of selling some cattle it may be the cheaper option. Will u supplement them with a mix to stretch fodde. What would be mix for them
Not much locally around here anyway. Cant see cattle being sold, probably the opposite and find grub from somewhere:no:. have enough for another few weeks at worst

Been on rolled barley with 5% molasses added now for over a month with the milkers. Getting slightly less kgs of meal over now per day than before as the feeders aren't set to compensate for the lighter density of the barley.
Anyway yield is the same as the previous ration and solids are much the same maybe up slightly by .10%
Cows seem in good form too so it seems to be working well.

Does anyone get multiple tests done on a sample?
These weren't the same hole. But within a few M on the clamp and to a similar depth.

Screenshot_20211224-132205_WhatsApp.jpg

Back