Slugs

Will slugs still do much damage to wheat sown on 8th October at this stage?
I don't see any damage or slugs on the ground during the day but put out two slates on Saturday with some oat flakes(porridge) under them and had 7 slugs under each slate on Sunday evening.
I would have to hire someone in to pellet the fields so don't want to bother if i'm safe to leave it.
I was out today doing a couple of our fields. Had bates down and was advised if I saw more than 3 under a few of the bates to go dress for slugs. Had 3-4 under some so not taking any chances
Just noticed your crop was sown 8th Oct. Ours only in less than 3 weeks atm

That's incredible, never thought it would that much difference.
A few years ago, we got an absolute roasting by slugs in winter wheat. The only bit that grew was the headlands and where the quadbike wheels traveled.

That field got disced twice since harvest to disturb the eggs. It got pellets pre ploughing. I pressed it when I ploughed it and it was rolled too. And it got another 2 doses of pellets pre and post emergence. Now that "bait" all
I have a crop of wheat mintilled after osr got the very same treatment and they're still at it, meanwhile I've wheat across the hedge similarly after osr only ploughed that has only got 1 3/4 rate and it's flying. I'd be hesitant to mintill after osr again in a high pressure slug year.

Despite a run of pellets pre planting and being disced after harvest , there is still some activity in the late sown wheat.

Numbers were high following the beans and this land has a history of them.

The odd seed of wheat hollowed but not big numbers. It’ll get a second run of pellets.

Wheat is more susceptible to hollowing as it doesn’t have the same skin as barley or oats.

Close to 500 seeds/m2 were planted so we can afford to loose some.

IMG_2953.jpegIMG_2954.jpegIMG_2952.jpeg

They’re not slugs but equally as damaging,

Leatherjackets.

I’m seeing leatherjacket activity around the place at the moment.
I know one grower who has had late sown winter barley wiped out completely.

They seem to be bad after beans, probably a consequence of plenty of dirt in the fields in September.

Keep an eye out…

They’re maybe top of my hate list along with crows, probably top now because there’s not a lot we can do about them now.
It’s always unpredictable when there’ll be a problem and too late 🙄
Especially troublesome early in the year when they’ve months of munching ahead before mutating.
Have to say though Dursban was equally nasty stuff, l always thought it had to be killing worms too.

Back