Soil preparation

Any tips for dealing with old scraw coming back up. Let ground that was in SB this year and now going into winter crops but I’m finding lumps of scraw coming back up and lifting up coulters when sowing
I'm guessing your talking about the old sod coming back up?. Maybe drop the powerharrow down a hole and try that. Can you increase the spring tension on the coulters to keep them down?.

I'm guessing your talking about the old sod coming back up?. Maybe drop the powerharrow down a hole and try that. Can you increase the spring tension on the coulters to keep them down?.
Coulter springs are tight as possible, this is old sod that there probably 50+ years. @Madzamby got lime that time in spring

Coulter springs are tight as possible, this is old sod that there probably 50+ years. @Madzamby got lime that time in spring
I've never seen the old sod to re-emerge like that apart from either very badly compacted land such as where ring feeders were used or where land was very wet at ploughing previously.
I've land under the plough here that was never cultivated in the history of man no exaggeration and apart from those 2 things I said I've never seen old sods to re-emerge like that. However that's no use to your problem. I'd try tilling it deeper and maybe drop back a gear or 2 and see of you can break up the sods. Can you get your hands on a rotavator if all else fails?.

I've never seen the old sod to re-emerge like that apart from either very badly compacted land such as where ring feeders were used or where land was very wet at ploughing previously.
I've land under the plough here that was never cultivated in the history of man no exaggeration and apart from those 2 things I said I've never seen old sods to re-emerge like that. However that's no use to your problem. I'd try tilling it deeper and maybe drop back a gear or 2 and see of you can break up the sods. Can you get your hands on a rotavator if all else fails?.
I’d say I know the difference though, we only bought this land 4 years ago I think it was and the person that had it previous didn’t believe in rotation and it was in intensive rushes for 50+ years and the butt of a rush is next level stuff :lol: that’s whats coming back up, black octopus like rushes from over the years. Ya I’ll try working a bit deeper and harder, it’s not stopping me like just im leaving some seed very near the surface because of it

I’d say I know the difference though, we only bought this land 4 years ago I think it was and the person that had it previous didn’t believe in rotation and it was in intensive rushes for 50+ years and the butt of a rush is next level stuff :lol: that’s whats coming back up, black octopus like rushes from over the years. Ya I’ll try working a bit deeper and harder, it’s not stopping me like just im leaving some seed very near the surface because of it
I was going to ask you if it was rushes but didn't incase it caused offense. A set of discs or a rotavator will do fcuk all on those root balls. I have one small field here that was always called "The Rushy Moor" and it was a well deserved name. Next spring will be it's 3rd time under the plough and the rushes are well gone. They are a bast*rd to deal with in the early stages though.

Not wishing to rain on your parade , but would it not be a bit adventureus to sow winter corn in ground that was growing rushes only 4 years ago ?

I sowed spring barley myself in 07 in ground that was shored that year. it was part of a better field , and it was sowed as a breaking down /levelling process , not as a money making exercise , which if it did , was a bonus.

Not wishing to rain on your parade , but would it not be a bit adventureus to sow winter corn in ground that was growing rushes only 4 years ago ?

I sowed spring barley myself in 07 in ground that was shored that year. it was part of a better field , and it was sowed as a breaking down /levelling process , not as a money making exercise , which if it did , was a bonus.
This ground is dry as a cork it’s not like the pictures I posted into the winter barley thread, just hadn’t been farmed in so long and nature took over, Produced a super crop of spring barley this year too super in spots. The year we bought it, it was all sprayed and mulched, new growth came in the following spring and was sprayed again and the rushes were out without trace for 2 years before barley went in. Everyone local thought it had been reseeded. I think the layer just under the surface though had just built up of dead rush matter over the years

Attachments

• BE4FAB52-C833-4CDC-9484-B465661DB39D.jpeg
    BE4FAB52-C833-4CDC-9484-B465661DB39D.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 47
The soil is in great order and has not been ploughed in 17 years and that was for beet. Saving the Planet one sod at a time. If all the Topsoil in the world was made into a sphere it would be 25 km in diameter and would fit in Co Carlow.

Attachments

• 78B1174D-5D3F-4DDB-8797-4370642BB0BA.jpeg
    78B1174D-5D3F-4DDB-8797-4370642BB0BA.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 696FE5A1-FDED-44B8-A044-A5B7251D1D15.jpeg
    696FE5A1-FDED-44B8-A044-A5B7251D1D15.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 6C4098F1-48E7-43BE-825E-557B20FD90D3.jpeg
    6C4098F1-48E7-43BE-825E-557B20FD90D3.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 69
Not having a go at you, but at the comment.
A f#€£ of a lot better than the carbon sum of any windmill, solar panel, electric car, passive house or Pippa Hackett.
I know what your saying, but the quickest way to reduce carbon is disturbing soil and to be doing this just to incorporate seems at odds with increasing C. I would be very unsure if the SIM scheme will have any positive effect on soil carbon levels.

The idea is good, the execution with the rules you have to abide by, is poor in my mind.

I know what your saying, but the quickest way to reduce carbon is disturbing soil and to be doing this just to incorporate seems at odds with increasing C. I would be very unsure if the SIM scheme will have any positive effect on soil carbon levels.

The idea is good, the execution with the rules you have to abide by, is poor in my mind.
Most stubbles would be getting some sort of cultivation done regardless of chopping anyway,

I agree it is a very flawed scheme and agree that is mad that direct drills are supposed to incorporate, but I would have to incorporate that amount of straw and the scheme has meant I will not be ploughing, these fields would be getting a run of the Karat anyway, so will be saving carbon release.
But that is not the point of my rant.
CO2 increases and global warming is NOTHING to do with agriculture.
CO2 increases and global warming is totally, directly and exactly linked
to and follows exactly the use of buried hydrocarbons. Full stop nothing else.
All the rest is a smoke screen to distract foolish populace.

Last edited:
I hit a few massive stones doing the reseed prep for a local Dairyman, one of the worst ones I stopped fully sure it had done serious damage. I couldn't find the damage, but the Karat was leaving more ridges than usual. I discovered the damage yesterday in the oaten stubble, one of the legs was bent. So took it off and into the press. I had also lost one of bolts which holds on the DD press, half shorn off but still stuck in the hole doing no good as it was cut in 2 places. The points directly behind the wheels of the tractor ware faster than the others, so did a bit of my patented "agricultural" welding. Will stay but looks shocking.20210806_110619.jpg20210806_110626.jpg20210806_110643.jpg20210806_120115.jpg20210806_120128.jpg20210806_120039.jpg20210806_120059.jpg20210806_120048.jpg20210806_120031.jpg20210806_120026.jpg

CO2 increases and global warming is NOTHING to do with agriculture.
CO2 increases and global warming is totally, directly and exactly linked
to and follows exactly the use of buried hydrocarbons. Full stop nothing else.
All the rest is a smoke screen to distract foolish populace.
until humans come to terms with their addiction for oils then co2 wont slow down

Our addition to consumption and it is getting worse.
Farming has a lot of things it has to improve, like, biodiversity, our over use of Plastic, Chemicals & Fert and Direct Drilling can help to solve some of them, but CO2 is not a farming issue.
cant agree more:smile:

Our addition to consumption and it is getting worse.
Farming has a lot of things it has to improve, like, biodiversity, our over use of Plastic, Chemicals & Fert and Direct Drilling can help to solve some of them, but CO2 is not a farming issue.
And in any case, supposing the narrative had some validity, surely food production is something that might be worth a few carbons, rather than say...... flat screen tv's or long haul flights for holidays. Maybe.....
Nah I was dreaming there for a minute.

Back