Spring oil seed rape

I don’t think too many of them are keen on it tho, it’s such a tiny crop with a late ish harvest and often very high moistures. Any idea roughly how many acres of it are grown in the country aside from the seed stuff?
I couldn’t honestly tell you, it would be very small compared to the autumn sown version.

Market? Don't see much of it around baring for seed and that's limited.
Wouldnt be any problem selling it most merchants will take it .
Moisture can be a problem but when its properly ripe it comes down fairly fast even in October
Roundup takes about three weeks to do the job properly and even when the seed is black the green cane will lift moisture if you go into it .
Pod sticker is a good idea ideally about a week before the roundup but usually with it to save going through it twice .
Back in 13 we cut a field at 12 % mc in mid October on the last good day before a wet spell about 2 acres that the pigeons had ravaged wasnt fit to spray but had got podstick and we left it and didnt even attempt to combine it as it was as green as a leek .
Went back to bring the combine home on a fresh breezy day in November and the corner was black ripe naturally
Fired up bessie and filled the bin off it .
Ran it down to the merchant the next day ....1.3 ton 10 % mc ..
A good crop of sosr will more than wash its face might be a better punt this year than very late sown barley at least thats what i keep telling myself .....

I get on well with Spring Oilseed Rape . If it is a thick crop I would swarth it . It has a high N allowance but a bit over 100 units/ acre is enough . I have forward sold it on a per acre basis in that whatever came off the acre got the forward price be it a high yield or low .

I think the trick with spring osr is forget roundup and swart it. It's safe in the row as I found out in 2011 when I didn't swart because there was scutch and I wanted to kill 2 birds and a storm came and decimated it and the neighbours including @Bog Man who swarted had next to no losses, even in the absence of wind the moisture will be lower a lot faster because it's properly dead.

Back