Spring oil seed rape

Our neighbour has it across the road from us and it kills us all with hay-fever. Big improvement last few days as its finished flowering
It's a strange one now, I'm desperate with hay-fever, I take a cetrine tablet once a day for it, I wouldn't be able to do a thing without them with all the sneezing and itchy eyes. Only issue I experienced when it began to flower was I started getting awful headaches when I'd be down at the shed but that could be stress related too. I hope I don't jinks myself now and end up with hay-fever from it☹

Have you some companion cropping or something else growing in that field?
Its a seed crop so for osr seed male and female plants are sown. The narrow strips were where the male plants were and after flowering and pollenating is finished the males get mulched down.
For this type of crop 1t/a is good going.
I'm sure @laoisfarmer had winter osr seed and it did quiet well this year.dji_export_1661849243759.jpg
This is what it looked like a few weeks back

Its a seed crop so for osr seed male and female plants are sown. The narrow strips were where the male plants were and after flowering and pollenating is finished the males get mulched down.
For this type of crop 1t/a is good going.
I'm sure @laoisfarmer had winter osr seed and it did quiet well this year.View attachment 112971
This is what it looked like a few weeks back
Didnt know the process for OSR seed, very interesting, I've grown plenty of cereal seed crops but never came across an OSR seed crop

View attachment 113079
Rape being picked up this afternoon. No idea of mc.
This header looks the business for the job.
Cracking day here to wrap up harvest 2022
Maize being harvested in the background. The maize kernals are like bullets.

There is a fair bit of engineering gone into that! Narrow header and then the bit at the front is all new I guess.

A nice finish to the harvest on Saturday. The Performer spring OSR was cut at 12-12.5% mc.

Both fields yielded the same 1.65tn/ac at the above moisture.
It was a handy way to freshen up fields that lie too wet for winter bean planting and dry out too late for spring beans.

We gave them a shallow run of the disc immediately to lessen any potential slug pressure.

313C9B12-D509-4366-A55D-5DB9EF15ABD1.jpeg1C40D556-F104-4292-A2B4-735D04C5D2DF.jpeg9AC0F744-46A9-4F9D-A7CE-CFC4978DDC57.jpeg783A2D2C-2427-4E05-A38B-ACE5AF0AEBDF.jpeg

A nice finish to the harvest on Saturday. The Performer spring OSR was cut at 12-12.5% mc.

It was a handy way to freshen up fields that lie too wet for winter bean planting and dry out too late for spring beans.

We gave them a shallow run of the disc immediately to lessen any potential slug pressure.

View attachment 113154View attachment 113155View attachment 113156View attachment 113157
Are you coming up to Carlow tomorrow to visit a barley baron?

View attachment 113154View attachment 113155View attachment 113156View attachment 113157

From start to finish it looked a good crop and the weighbridge proved it. Fair play. No doubt the weather was very favourable from planting to harvesting for you.
Would you grow again?

Our crop did 0.7t at 9.7% which I'm happy with. It will leave a nice margin. I'd definitely have a go again but I'd tweek a few small things

From start to finish it looked a good crop and the weighbridge proved it. Fair play. No doubt the weather was very favourable from planting to harvesting for you.
Would you grow again?

Our crop did 0.7t at 9.7% which I'm happy with. It will leave a nice margin. I'd definitely have a go again but I'd tweek a few small things
Thanks, the year definitely suited it (and other spring crops).

Would we grow it again? yes, for sure. I wouldn't plant the whole farm to it though as I generally don't like harvesting in September (days get short and day job gets very busy). Also, the lack of pod shatter resistance in spring varieties shouldn't be forgotten.

The two fields in question can be too tricky for beans and one of them can lie too wet for winter OSR so this provided an ideal break crop option.

I still prefer WOSR from a workload point of view. However, with the costs going where they are going, SOSR could provide a lower cost option for growers.

I would imagine that your seed crop provided a very nice margin due to the seed price.

Last load of Lumen SOSR went across the weighbridge yesterday, held it back until got time to finish cleaning the combine.
Moistures varied from 8.8 to 14, averaged 11.75%, was cut over 3 different afternoons, yield was almost 0.2t per acre up on last year, which was pleasing as it got a bag less nitrogen, it has been a good year for spring crops.
Disced the stubble earlier in the week also, it was part of the SIM scheme, will follow with a seed wheat in a few weeks.

Back