Stock Pictures

I don't want to be harsh but 400kg at 2 years old is poor performance.
The would want to be 500kg to go on a finishing diet.
Not happy with them either. Switched to bullocks this year as the heifers are too hard to flesh.
Just checked and they are currently only doing half daily gain that they were doing at last weighing.

Last edited:
I don't want to be harsh but 400kg at 2 years old is poor performance.
The would want to be 500kg to go on a finishing diet.

Just weighed them again. The good ones are doing 0.7kg/day. Had a couple that got pneumonia last year and it has stunted them just around the 0.5kg/day range.

All getting 2kg of 16% concentrate along with silage. The silage would be mid 60 dmd due to the weather last summer. The 2kg concentrate given ties in with the above linked doc from teagasc.

Best are 480kg at 24mths.

Would more concentrate help the ones with pneumonia or is the stunt that the pneumonia gave them unrecoverable?

A pair of autumn born bulls, castrated and let to grass yesterday. 12 weeks more on the cow and we will wean them and move them to the other farm.

20240421_084742.jpg20240421_084727.jpg
20240421_084754.jpg

Got more cows and young calves to grass. Ground conditions not ideal but keeping them to bunches of 3 or 4. It's means more leg work for me in the morning and evening to check them but I'll live with it.

20240421_081003.jpg

This lad arrived last Sunday, was sure the cow failed to go in calf,she wasn't scanned with the rest of them as two months later calving last year so delayed insemination, thought I saw her bulling in shed over the winter as well, false bulling definitely a thing
IMG20240428104744.jpg

Last edited:
Back